March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

drew, are these serious questions or more baiting?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simple questions ed.
Would it not be good marketing to document wall thicknesses on your listings, since you apparently have the numbers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

they may be simple questions, but answers can be sometimes complicated...

generally speaking, i find almost all non english made guns to have safe barrels...particularly if there is no evidence of rework...english made guns are another story...because, i have seen and have heard about so many with thin barrel walls, i suspect them all...

i try to avoid selling english made guns...if i do have to take one in, i do measure for wall thicknesses, every few inches or so...if i have questions, i consult with others...

oh, and you did not answer my question...

Last edited by ed good; 09/23/21 02:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK ed. Just trying to understand
So "i do not sell 12 ga guns with less than .090 in front of the chambers" only refers to "english made guns", and you do not measure the barrels of U.S. makers unless there is evidence of "rework"?

If you do get a chance, I would like to know the end of chamber WT of the 20g Smith for my records and thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I don't regard Ed as a "dealer I would like to deal with", he is the only poster besides myself that expresses doubt about used English guns because of the bad behavior of English gunsmiths. Way to go, Ed. Tell it like it is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
When your arms don’t work like they used to before.

Better shoes:

Best,
Ted

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Although I don't regard Ed as a "dealer I would like to deal with", he is the only poster besides myself that expresses doubt about used English guns because of the bad behavior of English gunsmiths. Way to go, Ed. Tell it like it is.

Ummm, anybody who has bought and sold more than a handful of English guns knows this well. It is not a secret.

The same can be said for American guns though. You should have seen the high grade, small bore LeFever I had in a while back that was restored by a "Master Gunsmith", that gun had more epoxy than wood in the stock but it sure was pretty from a distance.

Learn the subject which you seek to purchase, buy one with low mileage and consult a professional before you finalize the deal. It is not nearly as complicated as you make it seem. A client recently snapped up an amazing Purdey self opener built in the early 30's. He saw the condition, knew exactly what he was looking at, had it sent to me for inspection and left my shop a very happy man.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I bought a 20 gauge DS LeFever as a project gun. Metal and barrels were “factory” but stock was a bit of a dogs breakfast. When I measured the barrels I almost threw up. .010” in multiple places. Every look at .010 ? I did it is almost nothing. Seller was laughing at me I am sure. Fate had it a set of 20 gauge Lefever barrels came up on EBay about a month later. Easy purchase and fix. Youngest son loves this gun for released quail.

As to dogs from our British brothers. Most end up on the sealed bid Holts auctions. But in every litter of dogs you can find a few keepers. To date my list includes Pape, Smith, W Richards, Lang, Boswell and a few others. Values are where you find them and I’ve never found any with Ed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drew, just to clarify, i dont sell any 12ga guns with barrel walls immediately in front of chambers that are less than .090...regardless of where they were made...and rework generally refers to guns that indicate the possibility of major barrel alterations...dont remember the last time i saw a non english made 12 bore gun, that did not meet the .090 standard... .100 is quite common for upland game guns......

what minimum barrel wall thicknesses in front of chambers do you generally consider safe, for all gauges...

Last edited by ed good; 09/23/21 08:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can keep unsafe english made guns from finding their way to our shores...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.