March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Richard R #598092 06/11/21 11:30 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you for clarifying this. I really appreciate it. Along the way I may come back to this.šŸ˜‚
Richard

Richard R #601552 08/17/21 09:33 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does it possibly help to rust and card multiple times, and then doing the first boiling? Thank you.
Richard

Richard R #601644 08/20/21 04:45 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Anyone?

Richard R #601646 08/20/21 05:01 PM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I think you will be fine doing that. My only experience with it was when my former employee was browning a set of barrels and inadvertently boiled them while finishing some rust blued barrels. He was quite far along in the browning process and all the work was converted to black. Try it and let us know but I think it should work out for you.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Richard R #601963 08/27/21 05:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you sort it out and keep doing them in the future, Iā€™ve found that ferric chloride will settle towards the bottom after a few months of inactivity, and the the distilled water you mix it with can evaporate or time. Put another way, potency of your solution can change depending on use, and that can have unexpected outcomes you likely wish to avoid. Mark a level line in your tube, and stir if itā€™s sat idle.

Richard R #602919 09/15/21 03:21 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Another question. In theory, with all things being equal in the Damascus etching process, rusting, boiling, carding, etc, would leaving barrels in the acid to long create just a solid blued barrel, or would it just eat away all the pattern? Conversely, would a quick dip merely be a waist of time? I realize this is in many ways an art form with many variables, but Iā€™d like some clarity on this issue if itā€™s possible. Thank you,
Richard

Richard R #603037 09/18/21 06:01 AM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Leaving the barrels in the feric chloride etch too long will remove your blue and can cause pitting on the barrels as well. You are far better off to under etch than to over do it. You can always etch it again for a longer period of time.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Richard R #603067 09/18/21 02:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ferric chloride solution will remove the oxidation, which is your brown or black color, from both the iron and the steel surfaces of your Damascus barrels. But the rust is a bit more tightly bound to the iron than the steel, so the steel portions lose color first. This is what creates the contrast we seek.

It doesn't take long at all for the ferric chloride solution to do this in the concentrations commonly recommended. The dips should be short, and you need to quickly rinse to avoid uneven etching. Experience will teach you how long, and I always advise beginners to pick up a set of junk barrels to experiment with.

Many people use a vertical PVC pipe container for their etching solution,, and this can cause problems if the concentration is on the high side. That's due to the fact that the end that goes in first is also the last to come out, so that end spends more time submerged in the ferric chloride solution. I prefer to use a weaker solution for more control, and a horizontal tank to keep things even. I store it in empty gallon jugs when I'm done, so it gets mixed the next time it is poured into my etching tank.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Richard R #603122 09/19/21 01:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a verticle tube tank with the ferric chloride etch in it.
I do the etch for each rust cycle.
Some seem to rust and card 2 or 3 cycles and then etch that combined color depth.

Try it and see what results you get.
Sometimes what works great for one person is a failure for another simply becasue of some unmentioned small variables in the process. There are so many.
I played with dunking the bbl alternately from the muzzle down to the breech down every other etch to see if that made a difference in anything. Thinking first in/last out muzzle end ech time might result in variance in color or etched surfaces.
Didn't really seem to make a difference.I use a very weal etch soln,,by my shade tree calculation probably less than 2%.

I dunk the bbl into and then back out of the etch tube just as fast as it can w/o being careless in how I handle the parts.
Then again as quickly to get the bbls under running cool water to flush off the remaining etch soln that still clings to the surface assisted by another carding this time with 0000 steel wool done right under and with the running water..
It can work that fast in loosening the oxide on the surface that you just built up.

(Coat the bores to prevent them from being etched each time,,I coat them over with plain shellac, a heavy coating applied with a swab on a cleaning rod..
It stands up to the boiling water and etch soln just fine. Even then I apply an extra coatin at around cycle 8 just for good measure.,,figuring it usually takes 15+ cycles to get a decent damascus finish. Sometimes less, sometimes more.
But the process just by it's methods of etching keeps removing part of what you've done each time, Soi the build up of color is slower than with straigh out bluing or browning.

As Keith points out it's only the difference in how tenacious the grip of the oxide coating is on the bbl that prevents it from being loosened and then removed during the etch & card process.
The oxide binds to the iron a little more than that of the steel in the twist pattern, so you (hopefully) end up with color remaining on the iron portion and then the steel part of the pattern cleared of color.

Richard R #603136 09/19/21 10:25 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you gents for the replies to this, it certainly clarifies some things. Another question. After your rusting do you card ALL of the rust off or leave some? Whatā€™s your approach to this? Iā€™ve been leaving a small amount when boiling and it seems to work better. My LC Smith barrels were originally black and a matte grey finish. Iā€™ve confirmed this. So getting an extremely high contrast is essentially not possible vs. black and white barrels. Iā€™ve made great progress since beginning and I believe Iā€™m getting close to what I want. Iā€™ve been rusting twice prior to boiling on the last 3 iterations. It appears to be working better this way. If you guys think I should change Iā€™d appreciate your input on that. Thanks again, Richard

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.