March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, Marc Ret, SKB, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After a long wait, my new 20 arrived today. It fits well and should be fun on a covey rise. I may try it out on ducks later on, though it won’t be a regular for such.
It weighs about 5 3/4 pounds, so I probably shouldn’t use too heavy of a load. Here are the gun’s specs.
Some of you fellows really know your stuff. Suggestions?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well, that’s obviously a very nice gun. It was made to be a game gun, not a heavy fowling piece. No fleur de lis steel shot proof mark, also Notice the 950 bar proof…..for duck loads, you’d want the barrels proofed just a bit higher, usually in the 1200 bar range. The 2 3/4” chambers will also limit what loads you can shoot out of your gun.
If you were planning on shooting steel, that really limits your options.
Non-tox like TM or Bismuth gives you a few options, just remember that larger shot rarely patterns well out of a 20 bore.

What kind of ducks? Teal, gadwall, woodies, Widgeon you should be fine if your in reasonable range and using a high quality, moderate velocity non-tox like Tm or bismuth.

Unless you had a spot where you can shoot big ducks within 15 to 20 yards, I’d probably hold off and use a different gun capable of using more efficient loads.

2 members like this: spring, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd agree the everything Dustin said.

Being from GA you will likely be using it on woodies, maybe a few early teal, and possibly gadwall as they have become more prevalent here over the last 10 years. I will be doing a bit of experimenting on woodies myself with a 20 this year. I don't recall ever using a 20 for ducks, but I bought 14 boxes of 20 ga. NiceShot and bismuth a few months ago from a friend, with the intent of trying my Parker 20 on them. I have no intention of ever using steel loads with a 20 for ducks.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: spring
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, we hunt woodies; usually about once a week during the season. Shots aren't that tough and easily manageable with a 20. I won't be using this gun regularly on ducks, which lets me consider a legal load besides steel. I use Hevi-Metal a good bit ordinarily, but bismuth or tungsten might be good for the bit I'll be using this gun. I'm mostly trying to be conscious of finding a modest load for a lighter gun.

Last edited by spring; 09/21/21 07:04 PM.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful picture, spring. That's a pile of woodies, and some fine eatin'. And some fine shooting too, downing only three hens out of 17 woodies.

20 gauge loads would be fine on most of the woodies I shoot, with the exception of jump shooting them on creeks from my kayak.

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's a fun spot, Stanton. We usually have 6 hunters each time though sometimes let it ease up to 8. It's pretty much a social event with Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits being regular post hunt cuisine..... smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bismuth 5's and you will be in love with it.

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just checked with the dealer and he said that since the gun won't be getting a heavy diet of duck loads that he thought one-ounce shells would be just fine. I would have to think that finding 1 once loads would be easier than 7/8s.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vic, if you can find them the Kent Bismuth Upland would be acceptable in your H&H. The 20 gauge load is 1 ounce at 1200 fps and I would choose #5 shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, shooting woodies with a new H & H, and bismuth................... now that's high cotton.

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great suggestion, Bob. I'll look for it. Hope all is well with you!

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Wow, shooting woodies with a new H & H, and bismuth................... now that's high cotton.

Don't know about that but it took me 20 years to find a good deal! If you're in my neighborhood anytime soon, at least you'll know why I'll only be eating beans for a while.... smile

2 members like this: Pablo Pincemin, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot 3/4 oz of ITX 6's out of my light 16ga and 7/8 oz out of my 12. A 3/4 oz of 5 or 6 bismuth would work great. The real trick to killing waterfowl is wait until they are in lethal range of the load your using. Sometimes you have to pass on a few birds that are marginal shots.

That is a great shotgun to take some woodies with enjoy your duck dinner.

7/8 oz ITX 6's(bismuth works just as well)
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by oskar; 09/22/21 09:10 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beans with a side of duck - yum!

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are awful small Canada geese. Aleutian by chance?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

looked agin at the picture of at least 16 dead wood ducks...seems excessive and down right irresponsible to kill that many...the old phrase "game hog"comes to mind...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

16 ducks between 6-8 guys, sounds like a decent morning and not overly excessive. What does seem excessive is your ignorance Ed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
looked agin at the picture of at least 16 dead wood ducks...seems excessive and down right irresponsible to kill that many...the old phrase "game hog"comes to mind...

Thank you, Ed. I'm sure you know the limit, how many hunters we had that morning, and how many ducks are in the area. How many per person do you think is reasonable?

Last edited by spring; 09/24/21 10:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I count 17 birds in the photo. Assuming 6 hunters as Spring said and a 6 duck per hunter limit, that is less than half of the number of birds legally allowed (not taking into account any sublimits which are in effect some places ie. 6 ducks per day, no more than 4 of which can be Wood ducks or whatever). In any event, it’s not excessive at all and just looks like a heck of a good time!

Nothing the government gives you is free.
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Goillini
I count 17 birds in the photo. Assuming 6 hunters as Spring said and a 6 duck per hunter limit, that is less than half of the number of birds legally allowed (not taking into account any sublimits which are in effect some places ie. 6 ducks per day, no more than 4 of which can be Wood ducks or whatever). In any event, it’s not excessive at all and just looks like a heck of a good time!

The last thing I'd line up to do is to justify myself to a guy like Ed, but as you'll see from that day, our duck total was well under the limit. We carefully manage our harvest so that we can hunt the pond throughout the season. It's a lot of fun , especially when we have father/son combinations, as was the case again in this pic. It's special to introduce the next generation to good times in the outdoors.

You can also probably guess which of the two dogs did most of the work.... smile

2 members like this: GLS, Stanton Hillis
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

That looks like a happy group but the look on that boy's face says it all. Great job introducing them next generation to our sport!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Less than a GA limit for eight guys. Pretty clear that the elderly guy on the right end must have shot the merganser on the other end of the picture, because he is as far from it as he can get...Geo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

did not realize it was eight shooters...hope you left some to make more...

it still seems excessive and irresponsible to hit a flock so hard...it should not be all about taking...

an just noticed, not ah doublegon in the lot...

Last edited by ed good; 09/24/21 12:26 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

it still seems excessive and irresponsible to hit a flock so hard...it should not be all about taking...

I realize that you know nothing about the number of ducks that pour through our area, and you prove that repeatedly as you continue to assume things that are beyond your comprehension. The old adage about "quit digging when you're in a hole" comes to mind here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My only problem with the photos is that they remind me I haven't had a duck hunt like that for a couple years! But I leave for Manitoba next week and, although weather conditions haven't been optimal, hope springs eternal.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

an just noticed, not ah doublegon in the lot...

Your lack of knowledge knows no bounds. Flocks........... really? You know nothing about wood ducks, evidently.

Can you never be embarrassed by your ignorance?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Goillini
My only problem with the photos is that they remind me I haven't had a duck hunt like that for a couple years! But I leave for Manitoba next week and, although weather conditions haven't been optimal, hope springs eternal.

Best wishes on your hunting trip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. I’m confident my buddies and I will have a good time. And hopefully shoot a few birds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.