March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#603464 09/26/21 12:04 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll start
Heiser Satchel.
Wanted one for a very long time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Chicago made, top quality Red Head. 32" barrel length, two barrel set capability, solid brass furniture. Home to my Parker DHE 16/20 (32").

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have restored many cases over the years though there was one I just could not afford to purchase at the time I squired the gun in my early twenties. It took nearly fifty years to come across another for sale though it would have been better scraped, but I ignored all the voices in my head saying no and donning a pair of Rose tinted glasses I spent a ludicrous amount of cash on this case disaster. In short the Leather and Oak case was built sometime around the 1850's and slowly destroyed from then. The not so common thing about the case was firstly it was black leather not the usual brown, not at all common the oak case its self was exceedingly thick making it very heavy without a gun inside. They do say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I have posted some from beginning to end of its restoration.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
2 members like this: HomelessjOe, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus;

Your case restoration craftsmanship is spectacular ----Thank you for showing us this beauty. But of course such a special hammer gun needs a resting place worth of it.

Would you please give us the details of it and it's history. Did you restock it?

Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
I'll start
Heiser Satchel.
Wanted one for a very long time.

I had one like that. Embossed with Abercrombie and Fitch and serial numbered as well. But I didn’t have the right gun fir it so I sold it. Now have the right gun. Always the way.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a Purdey single gun motor case on Ebay earlier this year, looked like recent production. Didn't need any work, fit my gun. Lost out at a ridiculously low price, under $1K if memory serves.

Maybe just get one of Jeff's and a label... grin

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushveld. I did write the guns history for a sporting magazine here in the UK, though it is rather long due to the first owner's many episodes some good some scandalous, all mixed up with Victorian upper class goings on, horse racing the Epsom Derby vast amounts of money well the guns first owner did have Purdey build him a set of 4 this being the number 1 from the vast amount of winnings.Oh I nearly forgot the politics and the Book with all the juicy details was banned here though I did get a copy from your side of the pond. The first owner was a commoner becoming a Viscount being involved in the largest Victorian scandle ever. All extremely interesting including the US winning horse connection but a little to long for here I feel, not telling the whole story would not do it justice.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Boxlock
Boxlock

Damascus,
Would I be correct in assuming you are referring to Viscount Chaplin and the horse Hermit?

If so, I have the 1859 Lang 16 bore hammer gun that belonged to the Marquis of Hastings who was the ‘guilty party’ on the other side of that scandal!

Small world.

Best Lond

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus and Lond;

You gentlemen gave me enough information to search the web and find the story of this horse racing and lovers scandal (if indeed, this is the "Victorian scandal you speak of). You cannot make such an episode up even if you were a Hemmingway or a Tennessee Williams.

I do not know how many USA dollars today would be equal to the loss of UK Pounds 100,000 at a horse race in that day, but it would be millions.

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Westly Richards two gun case in about the same condition as Damascus before picture it's very heavy even empty

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.