Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Habitat loss is a cop out....

Next they'll blame it on global warming.

You missed your calling frAnk, you should have been a biologist

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something missed by the board's resident mOron:

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by GLS
And sometimes that isn't enough. The book, Coyotes of the South, reported that game biologists conducted a study at the Savannah River Plant (known locally as the "bomb plant") wherein intervaginal transmitters were inserted into pregnant does so that biologists could home in quickly to the site of birth to determine fawn survival at birth. There were extensive losses due to coyotes as established by DNA analysis on the fawn remains. Over 500 coyotes were removed from the area of study. After the removal, the rate of fawn predation pretty much remained the same as other coyotes quickly moved into the area.

50 years ago, hunters in the western states were killing and poisoning coyotes. And eastern and southern hunters weren't even having this conversation. In addition, avian predator numbers were still relatively low due to decades of trapping, shooting, and even States paying bounties to keep them under control.

The bounties on hawks and owls stopped before I was old enough to hunt. Trapping declined greatly too, for various reasons. And watching the spread of the Eastern Coyote leaves me convinced that they all did not move east and South naturally. Call me a conspiracy nut, but the big explosion in coyote population came as the number of deer/vehicle collisions got really bad. I truly believe that either Game Commissions or Insurance companies, or both, embarked on introducing coyotes to control deer reproduction by decreasing fawn mortality due to predation. There is even evidence that they are hybridized with wolves. One mangy coyote I shot a few years ago in my field was just shy of 5 feet long from nose to tail. My friends who formed a local coyote hunting club have shown me pictures of coyotes that are large enough to kill most hunting dogs.

We have seen that an established coyote population is very efficient at killing fawns. Problem is, they are also very efficient at killing everything else from mice, to game birds, to rabbits, and even smaller predators such as fox and feral cats..

This wouldn't be the first time well meaning biologists have introduced an invasive species, and the experiment went wrong. You will never get them to admit this either. I will try to do my part by putting a bullet in every coyote I possibly can. But our best hope is for some virus or disease that kills coyotes, but not our dogs. Hawks are another problem. There are enough of them that I have no problem with those who shoot, shovel, and shut-up. They are not endangered, but our Game birds are barely hanging on, even with supplemental stocking.

Keith, up here there is a ton of DNA evidence confirming coyote/wolf crosses. No one is theorizing about the possibility. In fact, IIRC there was an instance of a woman being killed by a coyote (guessing 5-8 years ago) in Newfoundland. DNA testing of the carcass confirmed it was a hybrid.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Coyotes interbreed with dogs, why not wolves? I caught a coy-dog in a trap, and killed it (many years before deer became such a nuisance). It was much more aggressive than a run of the mill yote.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I intentionally avoided going into all of the eyewitness accounts of people who claim they saw coyotes being released into various states during the late 1980's and early 1990's. There are claims in my state that the coyotes were even being released from Pa. Game Commission trucks in the remote areas of central and eastern counties.

Around my area, fox hunting was never a formal horses and hounds affair. Fox were trapped for their fur, and varmint hunters used calls to lure them in and shoot them. Many others were shot in the course of hunting other species, and by farmers who considered them a nuisance. The dogs my buddies in the local Coyote Club use to hunt coyotes are not fox-hounds. They use big expensive Walker Coon hounds and other large aggressive tracking dogs that are not so likely to be killed or maimed by coyotes. They also use GPS tracking collars so they can get to the dogs and coyotes before the dogs get attacked.

My suspicions were raised about the sudden influx of coyotes because it seemed so odd that they appeared to leap-frog much of the country to get here. I saw that deer/vehicle collisions were becoming more frequent and more costly to insurance companies, and added hunting opportunities did no good in urban and suburban areas where it was difficult or illegal for hunters to shoot deer. But when I heard about the appearance of coyotes, I knew it was going to be a big problem because of how rapidly they breed, and how hard it is to get rid of them. The research you provided confirms that.

Now think about this... many of our State Game Agencies and Biologists tell us that coyotes were first found in Eastern and Southern states in the early 1900's, or even as early as the late 1800's. Yet there are very few accounts of people, especially hunters, seeing them or killing them. We are told by the Pa. Game Commission that they arrived in Pennsylvania in the 1920's or 1930's, and came from the Catskill Mountains in New York. So we are expected to believe that they had been here all along for 60 to 70 years before the population suddenly exploded and sightings and killings became common. We are expected to believe that these coyotes who breed so prolifically were somehow not quickly filling an environment that had everything they needed to thrive??? Then all of a sudden, in the late 1980's and early 1990's, we are expected to believe they decided to start breeding like cockroaches, and quickly spread around the whole state.

I have hunted and hiked a lot of the western and central part of my state, and not so much east of Harrisburg. I never heard a coyote howl until the early 1990's. And that mirrors what pretty much everyone else says. So we are also expected to believe that these coyotes have been here since the 1920's, and not only did they not expand their range through breeding, but they also remained quiet.

I reiterate that I believe that it took a combination of factors to cause the huge decline in our game bird populations, including habitat loss, herbicides and clean farming techniques, predators, and periodic poor breeding due to climate extremes. Our vaunted Biologists have not been able to show any smoking gun for widespread avian disease such as the West Nile Virus that hit our crows and blue jays fairly hard. Much of my area has actually seen the human population decline or remain stable for the last 50 years, so habitat loss is not the factor that it is in other areas. But the number of raptors and efficient predators such as coyotes has exploded exponentially, so the snipings and ramblings of ignorant Nutty Ecology Professors and agenda driven biologists has not been enough to leave me in denial of what is quite clear and simple to process... for those who are capable of thinking.

However, we do have to contend with some rather dense individuals who go so far as to say that coyotes are actually good for game bird populations... proof that you can't fix stupid:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Habitat loss is a cop out....

Next they'll blame it on global warming.

You missed your calling frAnk, you should have been a biologist

I'd say you caught your calling Steve'O....Liberal Gun'smurf.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by spring

Stupid people resort to stupid posts and name calling.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

L
Originally Posted by spring

Stupid people resort to stupid posts and name calling.

Anything you say Smurfette

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Earns his description daily.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.