March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I truly believe that God does not subtract the time from a man's life that is spent bird hunting! Let's get out there!
Karl

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well...then I just bought a 4-week extension. I am noticing this year that after about 5-miles walked (~11K steps), I start to lose my edge (it's either age or conditioning or both....oh well. At 63 it beats the alternative as they say). I get out almost every day (if it isn't raining, which this year hasn't been much) and hunt both known and then newly discovered coverts/trails. With 2 weeks to go now, I've really been able to fine-tune things and get a much better understanding of life up here (In years past it was a 7 to 10-day window at-best, which was never enough time for me). My family arrives this coming weekend, so my father/husband/guide hats go back on again but....it's been really wonderful so-far. I've seen mink, owls, beaver, bear, fisher cats, eagles, osprey, ducks, geese, endless deer (my brother saw a wolf), and miles of beautifully-empty country. I can feel the knots in my soul unraveling with each passing day and I still have several days left. I can fully understand how one might get "homesick" for this James.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The lake has been darn fun too.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/10/21 01:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
At nearly 75, I find that the seasons get sweeter every year!
Karl

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl: I'm happy to hear that one. It was pretty sweet here yesterday as well, a true cast and blast day (walleye and grouse) in between the storms that have been flowing through here from the southwest. All of the colors here are mostly gone (only yellows and browns now), which means that the leaves are now mostly gone. Way easier to see back into things.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The latest record for frost up here is today (October 11th). No chance of one here until maybe later this week. Seeing more birds all the time now.

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

"My first solid grey bird. Most have been mixed phase. Still warm up here. At about the halfway point in my trip and am finally settling into things. Time is a wonderful luxury that I've never had like this before. The days just roll by and each is another adventure. No bad news and endless trails and boat time (had to buy more sunscreen today). A fellow could get used to this, I suspect."

i have always viewed time and money in an equation....if you have enough time you never seem to have enough money....if you have enough money you never seem to have enough time....i think that the functional definition of wealth is that point at which you have both enough time and enough money....

enjoy your wealth....

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 10/11/21 03:24 PM.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
1 member likes this: Imperdix
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greybeard: Thank you for that. Quite interesting... I drive older (& some very old) cars and trucks, I vacation in mostly remote places, I primarily shoot ancient firearms (& load much of my own ammo), I seldom eat out, I haven't flown in any form of aircraft for more than 6-months now, neither my cell phone nor my laptop are anywhere near current, I've never used social media (unless this counts) and watch almost no television, I mow my own grass, trim my own trees (& sharpen my own saw blades and knives), I drink mostly inexpensive booze (w/a few exceptions), & I butcher my own game animals....in my mind, "wealth" is seldom associated with that sort of lifestyle. I had been thinking of it as a payoff for long-deferred gratification, but since I've been doing similar things for a very long time now I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. But...as you have so aptly described it, it's certainly a form of "wealth" to be here now and doing what I did today (& plan to do more-of tomorrow). More "blessing" than wealth in my mind but...no-less grateful for it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/13/21 04:01 AM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well....coming down the home stretch here. Been designated the guide, cook, and general bottle-washer for the last week and today we pull the dock and the last of the boats. Six weeks of relative isolation from the news of the world has done wonders for me. I'll be packing up guns, gear, and coolers tomorrow and will begin the long ride home after that. Need to figure out how to continue to ignore the news of the world after I get home to see if I can maintain this rather lovely outlook. Have several long-deferred projects awaiting me (along with a few other serious distractions) that should help.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/22/21 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
Wishing you a safe trip back!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a safe trip home, Lloyd. My wife uses the TV for Star Trek reruns and PBS cooking shows. Other than that, it is off. There is no reason to sit there and watch the government media lie to you.

So, don’t. Hope you shoot a tasty cow elk back home this fall.

Be well.

Best,
Ted

________________________________________________________________________________
You could live in Detroit, with a wiener dog, and a moped. That, would suck.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't had tv for two years unfortunately I still get news on my phone my wife streams tv ? It has been great

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.