March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Gr8day
Not trying to hijack this thread, but was that BT factory?

Did you bother to read this Thread? The answer to your question is in the very first sentence of the original post, and it was even written in English.

Hint: I'll bet that if it was original, Stan wouldn't even consider slicing it down to a splinter.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, yesterday morning, I stole a few minutes before work to try this Play-Doh thing again. This time I placed it on the barrels in the areas where the upper edge of the f/e wood will be if it is converted into a splinter. The results showed me that there will be no unsightly gaps. Indeed, I measure two graded Foxes I have on hand and found that on both of them there is space between the wood and barrels, where we see the upper edges of the f/e, that would accept .030" shim easily, and they had that much gap uniformly all the way from the front end back to within roughly an inch of the forend iron at the rear.

The more I think about this the more I have come to realize that I have never looked that closely at how tightly the f/e wood fits the barrels along these upper edges. What I have always looked for is unsightly, and irregular gaps that occur when a piece of that sharp edge is broken away, and how tightly the f/e snaps into place. Perfection here (wood top metal fit along the upper edges of the f/e wood) is most likely found as a rule on best guns in the upper five to six digit $ realm, not run-of-the-mill vintage American classics.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by battle
Might be easier to find a splinter replacement and keep the beaver the way it is.

That would require common sense and not make for an exciting thread....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith

Did you bother to read this Thread? The answer to your question is in the very first sentence of the original post, and it was even written in English.

Hint: I'll bet that if it was original, Stan wouldn't even consider slicing it down to a splinter.

True that. There were precious few bt forends that ever left Fox factories. But then, if it were an original Fox 32" graded gun with a factory bt forend I prolly could never have afforded it in the first place. I'm really leaning towards going with another new splinter forend, rather than trying to convert. A professional stocker has told me in the last 24 hrs. that I shouldn't count on being able to pull it off successfully. I told him that you and Bobby had already advised me the same and that the tide was indeed turning,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adjusting the shape from Beaver tail to splinter looking at the pictures should cause you no problem but I would have liked to see the complete for end tip that is not in the picture. I do think that the largest problem you will have after re shaping the F/E will be checkering because you will need some form of cradle to hold it, without one it is an up hill struggle. I am biased because I have done a number of Beaver Tail conversions, re shaping is the easy part compered with the final checkering, hope things work out well for you.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan,
You might try Cecil Freddie or Robert Watts for a piece of wood. I have a stash of black walnut fore blanks as well but not near the number that those guys have. Matching black is easier than matching English in my opinion. Best of luck with it.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=keith][quote=Gr8day]

If you bother to reread my post, I was asking Eightbore if the BT on his Superfox was factory.

Last edited by Gr8day; 10/23/21 04:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That would have been quite evident if your post had originally included the QUOTE from eightbore. Unfortunately, this single sentence was the entirety of your post... until you edited it to include the comment from eightbore about his Super Fox.

Nice try! Just what I'd expect from you. Small wonder things often go off the rails around here.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That would have been quite evident if your post had originally included the QUOTE from eightbore. Unfortunately, this single sentence was the entirety of your post... until you edited it to include the comment from eightbore about his Super Fox.

The entirety of his post, yes, but there was something else I noticed. At the top of it, in the highlighted yellow bar, it said that he was replying to eightbore (where the little "right turn arrow" is). Once the time limit for deleting a post has passed that indicator can't be changed. I noticed it said eightbore when you replied to him ........ only because I have goofed up so many times that I've learned to look to see who the poster is replying to. Easy mistake to make, for me, at least.

1 member likes this: SKB
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want the forend to self identify as a splinter forend

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.