March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Belay my comment about this gun not being Nitro Proofed. In my haste and in my focus on the Belgian proof marks on the action and barrels flats I did not initially notice the German Nitro Proof markings on the lower section of the barrel and also on the action flats before I posted above.

Those are lame excuses for my inattentiveness, but I had to make up something.

Raimey will likely be along soon to post some pics I sent him, and offer more detail on the proof marks and other cryptic markings. What a font of expertise. Thank you, Ellenbr!

Vic

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Passed thru the Zella-Mehlis proof facility in August 1910. Kuntze ordered it @ a minimum of <<in the white<< from the mechanics in Liège. He added his initials & a serial number plus some other effort then sent the longarm to the Z-M proof facility to Nitro Proof as noted above.

Very unique toplever that looks to mate w/ the top tang safety?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nr. 3352 w/

EK(E. Kuntze) Nr. 94

Wears the Perron, so it was brought to a state of completion in Liège.

Acier Cockerill Liege - ACL in a circle(Many Thanks Dr. Hause w/ his Belgian Ocular)

HD as Henri Devillers(one solution?)

>>Nitro, N Surmounted by a Crown, German Imperial Eagle<<

It appears that E. Kuntze applied some effort after sourcing the Anson & Deeley Body Action platform from the talented mechanics in Liège and then either he or the client wanted to be on the forefront of technology and the new German proof rules, so in Summer of 1910 E. Kuntze submitted the longarm for >>Nitro<< proof(coupled w/ the N surmounted by a Crown on the water-table) and E. Kuntze was pressing the envelope as the new proof rules were't in-force till 1911.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The toplever & top tang safety again for those following along.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Safety Just looks way close to top lever I would imagine it’s of the automatic type?

Sidelock
Sidelock

True, it could be an optical illusion?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Raimey:

Thank you for all the information. It is a conventionally place top safety; optical illusion, indeed.

The barrels are essentially untouched, remaining true to their proof mark specs. It is a very well constructed gun, and by its condition was well cared for before and after its voyage to America, presumably accompanying a homebound G.I.

Very interesting about the Nitro proof of 1910/11.

How common was it for German makers/retailers to use Liege barreled actions with Liege proof marks?

And am I correct in guessing that E. Kuntze is another of many German gunmakers whose history has vanished?

Thanks once again.

Vic

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, when the German firearms merchant wanted to really increase his profit margin, he would order from the talented mechanics in Liège, but most of the time he would ask that the marks be hidden or worn so that the end user couldn't discern if the firearms merchant of record actually made it or not. Too, reciprocity played a large part on whether the
Belgians marks were present or not. But all run of the mill barrels of German steel were sourced as rough bored tubes from Liège. Actually the German steel makers granted a license to Belgian steel makers in the area to make bar stock from a German steel recipe. Even Sauer sought trademark protection in Belgium. But almost always you wouldn't find a German firearms merchant to order a Belgian platform with Belgian inland steel. That is the reason that E. Kuntze had the Cockrell Steel noted as Stahl. Just part of the overall grand deception to increase the Benjamins.

Yeah, the ledger is probably somewhere unless it was donated on a paper drive or similar? If it survived, with Leipzig being behind the iron curtain, the mentality is the >>what's in it for me<< mode.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, that rules change for the proof facility of Zella Sankt Blasii - Mehlis was on September 1st, 1911 whilst the Zella Sankt Blasii - Mehlis rules were adopted by Suhl in April of 1912 and I have no idea why the date variance.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Wolfgang's mining efforts, indeed Erich Kuntze was a Büchsenmacher and it appears there is info in the Archives in Dresden(Sächsisches Staatsarchiv) I believe??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.