March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, canvasback, 4 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I haven’t been on here in a while, busy with my other passion training and running my field trial Golden’s, but I wanted to report in before hunting season was over. Last spring someone on here, (thank you very much), turned me on to a very nice original condition Parker VH at a good price.

I had been looking for years, decades really, for a classic American side by side within my budget. I started around 1998 with a nice condition Lefever DS 12 that I really liked, but it alway shot a foot left, I paid $300 to bend the stock but it still shot left, so I sold it.

Then I bought a pretty LC Smith FW 12 with 28” barrels. This gun had been restocked to modern dimensions, mirror bores, rust blued barrels and recast colored. The gun seems to fit great when I shoulder it, but I don’t shoot it well at all compared to my Ruger RL sporting clays. My next step was a Sterlingworth Pin gun I bought from a very nice member here. 12 ga, good condition, all original with 30” barrels. This gun I can shoot well, yay finally, except it pops open on shooting occasionally. My local smith tried several things, the seller sent me a part free of charge, but nothing worked. It’s been with another smith over a year, still waiting as I really like it.

Finally I got that Parker last spring. Over the years I kind of resisted the Parker mystique, thinking they were nice guns, but overpriced, so I didn’t pay much attention to them, but that deal on the VH was too good to pass up so I bought it. ONG what a nicely balanced gun. At slightly less than seven and a half pounds, I thought it would wear me out carrying it all day in the field chasing pheasants, but it feels so good in hand and handles so well when shooting, it’s just a very reassuring feel.

Now I’ve got a half a season of duck and pheasant hunting in on it and I shoot it very well, I just love this gun.

1 member likes this: ClapperZapper
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, I imagine many of us have to go through the same process before finding THAT GUN. And there is no way to tell before actually taking it to the field. Parker’s can surprise a feller. I love them but surprisingly enough my $400 Lefever G 12 seems to have a lot of the magical whatever it is. And I have a “low class” Parker Trojan that comes close. But the one that tops them all is a Sauer sidelock from about 1895 that I literally fell into. A friend bought it on Gunbroker and for some reason was going to return it but I liked the way it handled and ended up with it. Have never handled any gun that fit me so well and is so perfectly balanced for me! And icing on the cake is it’s only a notch away from new condition.

My! what a long journey it can be to find just the right gun! Congratulations on finally reaching it.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
2 members like this: DoubleTake, Glacierjohn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’d like to post pictures off my phone, but the process explained in the FAQ section seems overly complicated and set for an actual computer. Can anybody explain the process for an iPhone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
Once you finally find your "holy grail", NEVER let it go!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

never heard of a fox or a smith popping open on firing...they both have rotary bolts which prohibit that from happening...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

The things you haven't heard of concerning double guns would fill volumes. If the rotary bolting wears, or is improperly fitted, it can cause a Smith or a Fox to partially open at the first shot. A weak top lever spring can also contribute to it.

I have a Smith at the gunsmith at this moment being repaired for this very thing.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

well stan, here we go ah gin...partially opening on firing aint the same as popping open...

even ah no dat...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/21 08:36 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

This will be my last word on this. The first signs are when it partially opens. Continued firing in this condition quickly accelerates the condition. Eventually, it will open.

If you were as knowledgeable about double guns as you pretend to be that wouldn't have to be spelled out to you. I'm done.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glacierjohn,
Congratulation on finding YOUR Parker. Also welcome to the club of satisfied Parker shooters.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
1 member likes this: Hussey
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It completely pops open and somehow the lever gets pushed all the way right. I spoke on the phone to Jason at Pumpkin gun works, he thought it was the way the rotary bolt engaged the slot in the barrel extension. I’m not sure my gunsmith is buying into that idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.