March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DaveB, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, SKB), 791 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a novel idea.

Too, the key is to discern if a German gun passed thru the Suhl proof facility or the Zella-Mehlis proof facility to point towards its origin. Now there was another proof facility but one gunmaker had it under his umbrella and he was about only one that submitted there. But the makers of Suhl considered the mechanics in Z-M >>Red Headed Step Children<<, but they did source them when they wanted to increase their profits. When a Suhl mechanic would make an error or churn out shotty work, they would say it was >>Zella-Mehlis<< quality work. When a water-table was jeweled or the like, the Suhl mechanics would say that was >>Zella-Mehlis<< effort to cover up shotty work.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is my family’s gun made and proofed in zella-mehlis far from shabby
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have seen many amazing zella guns I couldn’t afford.
I learned a long time ago ( with help from you gentlemen here)to value each individual gun on its own merit, sure some names demand a premium but I have seen many unnamed guns that were pretty amazing.
Especially continental guns.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back on topic, new cch helps the deeper style engraving quite a bit. Especially if it’s not top notch like this example, not so on the fine game scene like the zella gun above, guy put some individual hairs on the deer, crazy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now I wasn't commenting on the quality originating in Z-M but rather how the Z-M mechanics were viewed in the eyes of the Suhl makers. I am sure the it was similar in other countries like between the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers vs the Guardians on the little British Isles.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who else had a proof house in Germany back then?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frankfurt an der Oder & I believe it ceased operations in 1939?? Collath had it in his facility under his umbrella. @ one point he had his own gauge designations.

There were the military ones where the craftsmen could sourced '88, '98 receivers & barrels, which still had origins in Liège.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks great info, never warmed up to collaths action but did find a Raush that had a 2” 16ga chamber that I suspected was collath number 6. Never could get any measurements for those collath chambers.May be it was a number 4 i believe that was 16ga bore 6 was the 20ga bore but I’m guessing again.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 11/15/21 10:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand corrected as below is the Official Translated Word as provided to me:

>>In order to regulate the ballistics system, ballistics tests were prescribed for all civilian firearms in Germany by the law of May 19, 1891. The intended test marks (also called proof marks or marks) were prescribed by ordinance of June 22, 1892. The testing stations were established by order of the state governments on April 1, 1893. Initially, there were three proofing stations in Suhl, Zella-Mehlis and Oberndorf am Neckar, which later became proofing offices. In 1905, there were additional proofing offices in Frankfurt an der Oder, Sömmerda, Munich, and in Germersheim.[1] Since 1991, seven active offices have been recorded.<<

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another interesting thing about this German gun, this one has brown streaks in the horn that match color of the stock. That’s not the case of any others that I have owned. Quite nice.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun is back in service, “ I love it when the plan comes together “.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.