March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Marc Ret, LeFusil, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 234 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

You’re always welcome James.

As an early adopter, I expect that they will be bringing in some handmade examples, for test rides at various ports of entry, four-wheel-drive training facilities. As I said previously, the American market is very competitive, and I don’t believe they want to blow it. They know what their volumes can be, and how much money they can make if they get a good competitive presence in the American market.

Sort of the way that Land Rover used to do it, I think Jeep still does it, perhaps others.

It’s just an expensive toy anyway.

I hope the rear doors are power assist, because I don’t want to have to set my bags of groceries down in order to open the door. LOL.

If you notice the width of the rear cargo area, it will be one of the few SUVs that allow for a double dog box.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure loved my LR3. If only it started when I turned the key!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think BMW has got the starting system covered. But I sure hope they have learned to use fewer fasteners in their oil pans and valve covers.

A good deal of the discussion during the early development was how best to optimize field repairs so that the smallest possible tool kit could be carried to make repairs in remote places. That would seem to be contrary to BMWs normal processes, but was a loud enough voice during development that some considerations for deep field repairs were made.

There are a number, for lack of a better word, “freight haulers”, that operate in South America and the deserts/jungles of Africa, that depend on simplicity, and ease of repair. There is a good volume of business available in these markets for commercial use.

If Ineos is going to make any inroads against Toyota, the units have to be field repairable by semiskilled people.

My seats better be heated.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 12/08/21 03:16 PM.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
If Ineos is going to make any inroads against Toyota, the units have to be field repairable by semiskilled people.

"....repairable by semiskilled people" That term or concept is something that BMW engine designers do not have in their database and you can count on it not happening. Maybe it is better to say that "repairable by semiskilled people" is an oxymoron in modern vehicle production. 40 years ago, the repair of electronics as well as mechanical parts were repairable to the individual component, now the definition of individual components to BMW (and others) is an entire circuit board or worse the entire "computer" devise---their own technicians do not know how to read a logic diagram.

Where do modern auto engineers and designers learn such stupidity as building engines with internal water pumps that leak water into the engine oil crankcase and further the water pump is hidden behind the camshaft timing chain that no semi-skilled person can find much less replace/repair.

25 years ago when I lived, worked and hunted (best all around wingshooting in the world) in Southern Africa, I learned that the Toyota 70 series pickup truck (Bakkies as they are called there) was the toughest pickup truck in the world and Land Rover could not match them. I suspect they are still the toughest and most reliable--- though underpowered for American ideas.

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are absolutely correct.

It’s one of the reasons these things fascinate me.

I want to see how a group of engineers can rectify these seemingly conflicting design parameters.

You have the Australians pounding them to pieces in their dusty desert, you have the central Africans ferrying materials through waist deep mud,
Northern Africans operating in 100 degree temps, Finns above the Arctic circle, Central American transporters working in endless rain and humidity, etc.

I just want to make sure my Evian fits in the cup holders.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 12/08/21 05:08 PM.

1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the LR vs. LC contest, LGF had it summarized succinctly based on his African experiences: "The Land Rover made a mechanic and a Land Cruiser driver out of me." Gil

1 member likes this: ClapperZapper
Sidelock
Sidelock

I replaced the 92 Toyota pick up I bought new two years ago with and 89 4Runner, I hope to have this one for some version of forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper

"....repairable by semiskilled people" That term or concept is something that BMW engine designers do not have in their database and you can count on it not happening. Maybe it is better to say that "repairable by semiskilled people" is an oxymoron in modern vehicle production. 40 years ago, the repair of electronics as well as mechanical parts were repairable to the individual component, now the definition of individual components to BMW (and others) is an entire circuit board or worse the entire "computer" devise---their own technicians do not know how to read a logic diagram.

Where do modern auto engineers and designers learn such stupidity as building engines with internal water pumps that leak water into the engine oil crankcase and further the water pump is hidden behind the camshaft timing chain that no semi-skilled person can find much less replace/repair.

25 years ago when I lived, worked and hunted (best all around wingshooting in the world) in Southern Africa, I learned that the Toyota 70 series pickup truck (Bakkies as they are called there) was the toughest pickup truck in the world and Land Rover could not match them. I suspect they are still the toughest and most reliable--- though underpowered for American ideas.

Wonder how they got that dirt on the tire treads when it was driven in on, and parked on, pavers? Oh! ........ guess I'm not supposed to notice such things. And, on second notice, just what is the need for a "dustproof" spare tire cover for an off-road truck? Eye candy boyz, eye candy.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would love one of those landcruiser pickups

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan;

While you were noticing things, did you notice what country it was in? I will give you a clue, stop the video at the last few seconds and look at the local language script on the Toyota Motor Corporation sticker. You might just want to protect some things from the "dust" there.

Last edited by bushveld; 12/09/21 12:08 AM.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.