April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (MattH, Der Ami, Mark II, Bob Jurewicz, SKB, 1 invisible), 887 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#609470 01/13/22 05:22 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a new to me Darne 20 gauge R15 I picked up. The gun appears to be all original with .004 and .013 (IC/M) chokes, 25 5/8" barrels, original butt pad and 2 3/4" chambers as marked on the barrels. This particular Darne was a gun built and imported for Stoeger as you can see engraved on the barrels. The 20 comes in at 5lbs and 12 oz on the scale. I patterned the gun with some 7/8 oz 7.5 shot and it patterns very well at 40 yards. The recoil isn't much with 7/8 oz loads. I will not be shooting big magnums through this Darne. This will make a very nice, light carrying pheasant gun next fall.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]

3 members like this: boon hogganbeck, Dave Weber, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I’ll bet it’s not even broke in yet. Nice.

Do you ever hunt grouse or woodcock? Should work slick there, as well.

Shoot it in good health, Matt.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have never hunted ruffed grouse or woodcock. Most of my hunting has been relegated to the prairie part of Minnesota. I have hunted prairie chickens and sharp tails out west and hope to head up to the northern part of the state one day to grouse hunt.

Matt

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Darnes. Owned a few but never one with left hand cast. You can’t bend a Darne stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've waited a long time to ask this, and this may not be the best venue, but why would anyone want a Darne? Before you flame me let me explain my question a bit, please. I'm not a naysayer against any double gun design, unless the design is just stupid. But, Darnes are so different that I can't get my head around why someone who is a boxlock/sidelock enthusiast would want one. I am known here for not being a Darne enthusiast, but I am still open to reason concerning them.

If someone is especially enthusiastic towards the French way, I can accept that. But, other than that I am at a loss to understand it. Whatever the response, I will give it consideration. It may not shift my paradigm, but I am willing to listen and consider. Convince me. I will not offer any argument to any reason, and I will appreciate any gentile replies.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I've waited a long time to ask this, and this may not be the best venue, but why would anyone want a Darne? Before you flame me let me explain my question a bit, please. I'm not a naysayer against any double gun design, unless the design is just stupid. But, Darnes are so different that I can't get my head around why someone who is a boxlock/sidelock enthusiast would want one. I am known here for not being a Darne enthusiast, but I am still open to reason concerning them.

If someone is especially enthusiastic towards the French way, I can accept that. But, other than that I am at a loss to understand it. Whatever the response, I will give it consideration. It may not shift my paradigm, but I am willing to listen and consider. Convince me. I will not offer any argument to any reason, and I will appreciate any gentile replies.

Simplicity.
It is one of the most simplistic designs. Very few parts & mechanisms to go wrong. They use levers. They use coil springs. Big coil springs (same springs found in Lebel battle rifles)….they just don’t break.

Strength.
It’s the strongest shotgun action out there, bar none. Well….I’d like to see George Hoenigs rotary round in a strength test against a Darne. That would be interesting.

Robust.
These guns were designed to be virtually maintenance free. That’s for real too, damn near maintenance free. Take the breach block off, dip it in kerosene or diesel, dry it….put it back on the action and go to work.
You’ll never ever see a loose Darne either.

Lightweight.
They made heavy ones too, but Darne is synonymous with lightweight 90% of the time. Lightweight but well balanced.

It’s convenient to use in a tight corner. Think a duck blind. Break action guns in tight quarters, especially a blind are a P.I.t.a to load/unload. A Darne isn’t.

Beauty.
It’s in the eye of the beholder…..I find Darnes very attractive. Most all Bruchet built guns, especially the V grades are gorgeous and built to very high standards of fit and finish. The engraving patterns are wonderful too.

They’re different. Different is cool when it works, everytime. It’s a bonus if you can shoot it well, unfortunately most people seem to have trouble shooting a Darne….stock fit, especially cast is one draw back. I’ve owned 5 Darnes. 4 of them fit me well and I shot them well….my little V19 20 gauge was unfortunately not one of the 4. I did fine on wild birds with it, but was horrendous shooting clays with it. I sold it.

Darnes…I’m a fan.

2 members like this: boon hogganbeck, 16 Shooter
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dustin,
Bravo. Couldn’t have said it better myself. The spring that drives those strikers will continue to work, even if they do break.

Stan,
I’m at a point where I believe there are more important differences in the people who are trying to run sporting shotguns than there are in the guns. Some guys can run a pump (I used to be that guy) others, can’t or, maybe more importantly, won’t. There are a lot more people that have never even seen a Darne, much less used one for a season or three, than people who have. I sold new Bruchet guns to guys who pretty much became converts, and sent anything else they had, down the road. I am not that guy, by the way, I enjoy lots of different guns. Or, did. Still sorting that out. Unfortunately, one of the guns I shoot best at the moment, is an ugly Remington 20 gauge autoloader. I’m not happy about that. But, shooting an 1100 will sure beat the hell out of joining the kids I grew up with, who, to a one, have aged out of the field, for a game of cribbage or 500 on a fall afternoon.

Which camp are you in Stan? Ever seen a Darne? Run one?

Anyway, a guy who can run a Darne and enjoys it, is still a guy who is out there. That should be enough for a bystander.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: 16 Shooter
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Vol423
I like Darnes. Owned a few but never one with left hand cast. You can’t bend a Darne stock.

I might have one for you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies, Dustin and Ted. That is exactly what I was looking for. Well thought out and written reasons.

I can appreciate strength, simplicity and robustness. And, the ease of reloading in a blind or pit. I think that one may be open to debate, as I have used 32" barreled boxlocks in boats, pits and blinds for many years and never felt hindered in any way, but I see the point. Same point can be made for autoloaders and pumps. I guess the two main hurdles I can't cross right now are the lightweight deal, and the looks. I understand your fondness for a relatively light weight gun, Dustin. I well remember your pictures of birds taken on the rocky slopes, and also how much you walked obtaining them. Light weight isn't a need for me at age 70, given my types of hunting. Maybe at 80 ...... bound to happen sooner or later. As to the beauty, I just can't see it. That's not debatable, it's just a matter of personal taste. I will not belittle someone who DOES see the beauty there, however.

I have seen and handled a Darne, Ted, and worked the action on it. Never shot one. So, I'm in that camp. Having grown up on a boxlock S X S, it's just ingrained in me. I never owned a pump until a few years ago, and have a hard time remembering to shuck the things when I shoot. I can imagine my clumsiness in learning to open, reload and close a sliding breech gun quickly. Maybe that's just too new a trick for this old dog.

Best to you both, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I believe you were with me woodcocking when I shot my R10 20 ga. Take a look at the compilation in the second forum. Page 5 of it compares a boxlock's parts count with the Darne's. 41 parts for the "tipping" gun compared with 27 for the Darne. I've read accounts from helicopter pilots in VN wherein sawed-off Darne's were carried by pilots because of the reliability factor handling swollen paper buckshot hulls. A Darne can cycle water buffalo crap compared with a box lock. French occupation of VN left a lot of Darnes in country when the French left VN. Mishandling the main spring during barrel removal can be a problem due to the design. The tip end is grooved and can be broken by metal tools. Ted recommends the plastic cap of a pen to mash it down for removal if its too stiff for thumb depression. There are ways to get around the goofy safety lever, but don't expect to snap shoot one with the safety on as one can do with a tang mounted safety. All in all, it's a solid design and you'll never hear the term "off face" when applied to a Darne except to compare it to a box lock's "off face" issues. Its extraction of loaded shells and ejection of fired hulls is another positive feature compared with a BLE or BLNE. Gil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.