March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
battle Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

reinforcement for a cracked frame perhaps?

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Bill. A short chamber 1912 16g

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

A 12g

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

Interesting. I (like everyone else) have heard about cracked Flues frames for decades, but I've only seen it a handful of times and most of those were 20's. For years I've had a complete flues 16ga receiver that needs a set of barrels and forend, but I haven't run across a cheap set of barrels. For years I have guessed that cracked frames are relatively rare based only on how few sets of orphaned barrels are on the market! Depending on where this ends up, looks like a good candidate for the barrels

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 12ga Flues with a cracked frame. It is cracked in the thin area on the right side water table. When I was a 13, my dad let me take his Flues out to shoot pigeons with a buddy.
He gave me a box of the green Remington high brass express, he always used. Both barrel discharged at the same time. I thought it had exploded. When we looked the gun over, there was a hairline crack . When the gun was disassembled, the rear trigger spring was broken. The crack was repaired, and the gun was refinished. My son still shoots it with sub 7k reloads.

Bill

Last edited by ithaca1; 01/21/22 03:03 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 12ga Flues that a turkey hunter had damaged with God knows what loads. The recoil broke the screw that held the trigger plate to the action, but the frame was fine. Modern turkey loads in a 7# hundred-year-old gun aren't a good idea.

The restocked, patched-up gun pictured does look like a good donor gun for an action that needs barrels. You'd have a stash of action parts as well, and wood for the stove.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago, there was a guy here who went by the board name of Greg Tag. He kept track of Flues failures. IIRC, most or maybe all of them were 20's, they were very light, and at least in some cases the owners had fired "light" 2 3/4" factory loads through them. Often inexpensive stuff from big box stores. While they may have been light in terms of shot charge, they weren't necessarily light in terms of pressure. He'd pretty much identified that as a common factor in quite a few of those 20ga Flues guns. The frame typically cracked right where the standing breech meets the water table.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember Greg's posts. I would think pressure is to blame for barrel failure, and recoil is to blame for frame failure. Especially frame failure right at the standing breech, the apex of the wishbone so to speak.

It seems to me that cheap "dove" loads recoil faster than better ammo of the same shot weight and muzzle velocity, possibly due to the fast-burning powder used. I save promo loads for the BPS, because they won't hurt it and who cares if they do?

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago on one of Doc Drew’s blown barrel threads I mentioned that I’d recently seen info from a shooter on another site who’d sent some of the “light” 1 oz Cabelas/Herters rounds off for testing. My best recollection is that they came back at 11,500 psi.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those light loads are mostly tasked with running dirty autoloaders. They do it. Mostly.

But, a question I’ve always had is if you know a gun is prone to cracking, why are people interested in them? We have collectively known that 20 gauge Flues guns often end up cracked. That sounds like a great reason to step up into a NID, or a Western Arms, or a Nitro, or, some other piece of Americana that doesn’t have a bad reputation. Unless you are into hanging them on the wall, what is the draw of these guns?

Kinda’ related, Dewey literally didn’t have a kind word to say about them.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.