March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 21 VR Trap gun has the same problem with shells fired in other guns. I have solved the problem by using my son-in-laws MEC Super Sizer on my reloads.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/super-sizer

Sidelock
Sidelock

If using a mec 600, I would try pushing the sizing collar down a little. Not enough to change the headspace but enough to possibly pull the diameter in. If its only .002, it might work. Not sure but worth a try.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my Super Sizer on all my reloads. I have collets in three gauges for it. I was wondering if it wouldn't reduce the rim diameter by a couple thousandths.

My SS also does double duty as a shell holder for turning roll crimps on my drill press. No need for any other type of shell holder to do that.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ithaca1
If using a mec 600, I would try pushing the sizing collar down a little. Not enough to change the headspace but enough to possibly pull the diameter in. If its only .002, it might work. Not sure but worth a try.

The ring type sizers have the habit of pushing the brass head down toward the rim, where it effectively mushrooms the head, i.e. increases rim diameter.

If you have a steady hand, a stone in a Dremel can be lightly run around the inside of the rim cut to gain you those few thousandths that you need. That said, as others have suggested, the MEC super sizer would be my first attempt to solve the problem

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DaveB
I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

I am not sure how removing .002” from the O.D. of the shell rim would compromise the integrity of the hull to cause it to rupture. Just curious as to your thought process, because if I am missing something, I sure would like to know.

Last edited by DaveB; 01/22/22 09:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DaveB
Originally Posted by BrentD

I am not sure how removing .002” from the O.D. of the shell rim would compromise the integrity of the hull to cause it to rupture. Just curious as to your thought process, because if I am missing something, I sure would like to know.

I just cut apart a cheddite that, at various points was as thin as 0.006".

I question the feasibility of removing precisely 16.5% of that thickness and not more on a few hundred, used shotshells. Are they even that perfectly concentric and round to do this safely, and expediently to hundreds of shells? And who is to say that 0.05", if perfectly maintained, is enough. Afte rall, they aren't made that thin to begin with - possibly for a reason. After repeated reloading and possibly sketchy conditions that could add corrosion, maybe they won't stay safe, even if they began safe.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a no brainer to buy a collet to resize the case head or buy ammo that works

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turning down rim diameters on AA hulls just to be able to use them in one gun is too much sugar for a dime when there are other options, IMHO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.