April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, 12boreman, Lloyd3, buckstix, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 211 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,035
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey guys, I just received a Charles Boswell box lock I had brought in. Gun was made in 1905.

I am going over the gun and everything is as advertised. The peculiar thing is the gun won’t close all the way with a Winchester AA HS hull. No problem with an RST (Cheddite) hull. Upon closer examination, the O.D. of the Winchester brass rim is .002” larger than the RST. The rim diameter is just large enough that it won’t fit into the rim cut in the chambers of the barrels to allow the gun to close. I filed down the rim on the Winchester .002” and then it fits properly to allow the gun to close. Does anyone know if it is an easy fix for a gunsmith to open up the I.D. of the chamber rim cut .002”, as to allow the use of Winchester hulls? Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited by DaveB; 01/21/22 11:52 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you rather modify it than just use appropriate loads in it that will seat properly? I'd think over that decision very carefully if it were mine.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: John Roberts, Imperdix, Ted Schefelbein
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you handloading the AAs? Will RGL's fit? If you aren't a high volume shooter, rather than remove metal in the gun you can't put back, consider chucking an AA into a drill and make a few passes on a stone. In order to hold the shell, find a short dowel that will snugly fit the inside of the AA. Drill a center hole axially through the dowel and run a 1/4" bolt down the center with enough out of the drill end to be able to be chucked. You may have to tape or hose clamp the hull to prevent the dowel from spinning inside the hull. Or swap the AAs for Cheddies or RGLs if they fit. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a William Evans from 1901. Chambers still 2 1/2". Remingtons (Gun Clubs and STS) drop right in. So do Herters (Cheddite), Federal Top Guns, and Winchester Super Targets. I don't have any AA's on hand to try. But with a lot of options that work well in my gun which is the same vintage as yours, I think I'd try other hulls before modifying the chamber. I do get a very tight fit on once fired Fed Gold Medal hulls. That's the only "problem child" I could find.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/22/22 09:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is an easy fix. It is not an uncommon problem in older guns. Winchester rim diameters have generally been larger than average since I first measured them in the 1970s. Opening up the rim diameter a few thou will be undetectable.

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys, I appreciate all the advice. I am very leery to have the gun modified and just wanted to see other opinions. I am hand loading the AA’s for my other 2 1/2” guns by trimming them short and using a Hartin crimp. I am not a high volume shooter, so I was thinking about buying a small jewelry bench grinder and just turning the hull by hand to grind the rim down smaller to fit the gun. Eventually, if this ammo shortage let’s up, I will buy some Cheddite hulls and RST ammo (I am down to 250 rounds of RST) and just reload those.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems a shame to mess with something that`s been ok for almost 120 years !!!! Personally I`d be using approprate cartridges .

2 members like this: GLS, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first thought; Is this a once fired AA hull you're using? If that's the case it may be fire-formed to the chambers & rims of the gun the hull was fired from.

I have a model-21 Winchester that I had a similar problem with. The once-fired AA hull was tight in the chamber & it wouldn't let the gun close. I then tried a new AA shell and it dropped right in & the gun closed without an issue. My conclusion was the once fired hull had expanded to the chambers of the gun it had been fired in previously.

Just a thought.

1 member likes this: FelixD
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some photos for those interested

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, GLS
jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 21 VR Trap gun has the same problem with shells fired in other guns. I have solved the problem by using my son-in-laws MEC Super Sizer on my reloads.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/super-sizer

Sidelock
Sidelock

If using a mec 600, I would try pushing the sizing collar down a little. Not enough to change the headspace but enough to possibly pull the diameter in. If its only .002, it might work. Not sure but worth a try.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my Super Sizer on all my reloads. I have collets in three gauges for it. I was wondering if it wouldn't reduce the rim diameter by a couple thousandths.

My SS also does double duty as a shell holder for turning roll crimps on my drill press. No need for any other type of shell holder to do that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ithaca1
If using a mec 600, I would try pushing the sizing collar down a little. Not enough to change the headspace but enough to possibly pull the diameter in. If its only .002, it might work. Not sure but worth a try.

The ring type sizers have the habit of pushing the brass head down toward the rim, where it effectively mushrooms the head, i.e. increases rim diameter.

If you have a steady hand, a stone in a Dremel can be lightly run around the inside of the rim cut to gain you those few thousandths that you need. That said, as others have suggested, the MEC super sizer would be my first attempt to solve the problem

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DaveB
I did try adjusting the sizing collar down on my MEC 600 and it not did make a difference. I just need to ultimately switch over to the Cheddite hulls and for the time being figure out a way to remove the .002” on the AA’s.

If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
If you start filing the rims on those cases, do you not run the risk of compromising the case and blowing a hole? That's folded steel or brass, and if the former, you will also encourage corrosion.

It's a no brainer to hone the rim recess. It just isn't worth the trouble or risk of rupturing a case. But they are your eyeballs (hopefully safely behind glasses).

I am not sure how removing .002” from the O.D. of the shell rim would compromise the integrity of the hull to cause it to rupture. Just curious as to your thought process, because if I am missing something, I sure would like to know.

Last edited by DaveB; 01/22/22 09:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure how removing .002” from the O.D. of the shell rim would compromise the integrity of the hull to cause it to rupture. Just curious as to your thought process, because if I am missing something, I sure would like to know.

I just cut apart a cheddite that, at various points was as thin as 0.006".

I question the feasibility of removing precisely 16.5% of that thickness and not more on a few hundred, used shotshells. Are they even that perfectly concentric and round to do this safely, and expediently to hundreds of shells? And who is to say that 0.05", if perfectly maintained, is enough. Afte rall, they aren't made that thin to begin with - possibly for a reason. After repeated reloading and possibly sketchy conditions that could add corrosion, maybe they won't stay safe, even if they began safe.

_________

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a no brainer to buy a collet to resize the case head or buy ammo that works

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turning down rim diameters on AA hulls just to be able to use them in one gun is too much sugar for a dime when there are other options, IMHO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My goodness! Just open the rim by .002–isn’t going to hurt a single thing. Believe me, Boswell wouldn’t have hesitated a split second to do it. Zero affect on originality. It may be that the chamber reamer originally used was smaller than normal. People act as though components are available on every street corner. Not!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve seen shotgun hulls with no metal head, so I doubt the plated steel has any structural function.

If AA cases are a must, I would go the extra mile on resizing.
If not, just use a brand of cases that work.

Modifying the gun would be my last choice, just because there’s always the chance of something going wrong, even a UPS screw-up.

Lovely gun, OP.

Last edited by Tom Findrick; 01/24/22 12:03 PM.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick

I’ve seen shotgun hulls with no metal head, so I doubt the plated steel has any structural function.

So have I. I have a bunch in fact. They are not comparable for a lot of reasons. Your eyes. Not mine.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
My goodness! Just open the rim by .002–isn’t going to hurt a single thing. Believe me, Boswell wouldn’t have hesitated a split second to do it. Zero affect on originality. It may be that the chamber reamer originally used was smaller than normal. People act as though components are available on every street corner. Not!

I had this problem a few years ago with an English 20 ga side-by-side. Got my smith to open the rim. Worked perfectly and could use any ammo that I wanted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A quick look at the SAAMI drawing for the 12 gauge shell indicates the maximum rim diameter to be .886", with a remarkable amount of tolerance on the low side (.021").

This is of course the dimension one would expect AA shells to be at or under. The chamber specification is .887".

AA shells seem to measure .882 to .883 here, fired or sized in a Grabber. STS shells here measure .875 to .877. Both meet SAAMI spec.

If you want the gun to chamber ANY SAAMI spec shell, the rim cut will need to be .887".

Only you can decide if this is a acceptable. The gun predates any SAAMI or CIP standards.

Personally, I'd leave the rim cut alone and just use STS cases for my reloading. They are not particularly scarce. Yet.

Grinding on the rim of a AA is not the brightest thing you can do. The rim is not solid. The brass case head is formed from sheet stock in a die. The rim is therefore hollow.

While the rim is not part of the pressure vessel per se, making it thinner invites a partial case head separation which at minimum would be inconvenient.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shotgunjones, I appreciate all the information.

You have confirmed that my AA’s measure the same as yours,.882”. At .880, they fit into the gun no problem.

Also, thank you for the Remington STS measurement. It gives me another hull to look for. The Cheddite/RST measures .875”, so that’s on my list as well.

I have decided to not open up the rim cut and just try and scrounge up some STS’s or Cheddite’s.

I really appreciate everyone who has contributed to the thread. Thanks to you all!

Last edited by DaveB; 01/24/22 08:22 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Just use a small oval file on the rim cut. Takes about 15 minutes per barrel. I have had to do this on about 5 of my doubles. You can buy a cheap 8 file set at Home Depot or other hardware store. Just go slow and the result are fantastic.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.