March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gunning Bird, SKB, Travis S, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

People would poach quite a lot where I grew up. 99% of it was done shining with a .22LR and the water bottle silencer. Just saying...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to start a big debate on my plan to harvest a whitetail deer with this diminutive double rifle next Fall. I've been fortunate to have harvested 52 Bucks and 252 does over the last 55 years of hunting. I've taken them with small calibers like .14 caliber, and 5mm cf, .... all the way up to 505 Gibbs, and 700 NE caliber. Distances were from as close as 10 feet, to as far out to 600 yards. I'll be reporting the results here next November.

btw ... I've never shot a deer that I didn't kill with the first shot.

1 member likes this: journeymen
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

That's a pretty impressive record, buckstix. And, I'm truly impressed by it. But, it raises a different question in my mind ............. legality. Do you live in a state that allows deer hunting with tiny calibers like you described? I don't.

I'm absolutely not meaning to sound "holier-than-thou", but just curious.

Never mind. I answered my own question. The research I did said that any centerfire caliber of .22 caliber or above is legal. Where does that leave a .14 caliber (or a 5mm CF)?

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 02/02/22 07:58 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
That's a pretty impressive record, buckstix. And, I'm truly impressed by it. But, it raises a different question in my mind ............. legality. Do you live in a state that allows deer hunting with tiny calibers like you described? I don't.
I'm absolutely not meaning to sound "holier-than-thou", but just curious.
Never mind. I answered my own question. The research I did said that any centerfire caliber of .22 caliber or above is legal. Where does that leave a .14 caliber?
Hello Stanton Hillis,
Thanks for the reply.

Today the Law states any centerfire 22 cal or larger. Back in 1988 when I used the .14 caliber, the Law was "any" centerfire. (see my article in the 1988 Guns Illustrated - "14 Fever") But, after so may 17 caliber centerfires came on the market, the Law was changed to 22 caliber or larger.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Glad they came to their "senses".

Thanks for the reference to your article but, I won't bother with looking it up as I have zero interest in that.

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 02/02/22 08:06 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote

Today the Law states any centerfire 22 cal or larger. Back in 1988 when I used the .14 caliber, the Law was "any" centerfire. (see my article in the 1988 Guns Illustrated - "14 Fever") But, after so may 17 caliber centerfires came on the market, the Law was changed to 22 caliber or larger.[/quote]

Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is the smart or correct thing to do. Remember, some states still allow first cousins to marry!

I personally would not use a.220 Swift, .22-250 ,.223,.222 R or even a.22 Hornet for deer but I wouldn't question someone else for doing so. I'm old enough to remember people butchering hogs & beef at home. The caliber of choice was normally a .22 short to the head @ close range (not my choice on the .22 short). Usually it worked well but I remember a few times when it didn't. Trust me when I say it was a bad deal for all parties involved when it didn't.

Using a .25 ACP is a nothing more than a stunt & not fair to the animal if something goes wrong. For the sake of the animal I hope you are extremely lucky & also a good tracker!

Nice execution on your double rifle by your gun builder. Too bad you didn't chamber it for something useful. You mention you selected the .25 ACP chambering because it is a "first" for double rifles. Did it occur to you that there is a reason for that?

2 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello all,
Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to start a big debate on my plan to harvest a whitetail deer with this diminutive double rifle next Fall. I've been fortunate to have harvested 52 Bucks and 252 does over the last 55 years of hunting. I've taken them with small calibers like .14 caliber, and 5mm cf, .... all the way up to 505 Gibbs, and 700 NE caliber. Distances were from as close as 10 feet, to as far out to 600 yards. I'll be reporting the results here next November.

btw ... I've never shot a deer that I didn't kill with the first shot.
Bully for you. I'm sure everyone is very impressed by all that. But it begs a question from me: at what point does your blood lust for stunts with inadequate calibers subside? But I think I already know the answer to that...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When there get to be too many deer on the regional airport in Anoka County, the DNR contracts with a couple sharpies that use suppressed Ruger 10/22s. The deer are shot in the head, at night, from a stand, over bait.

I don’t do it, but, I know it can be done.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
When there get to be too many deer on the regional airport in Anoka County, the DNR contracts with a couple sharpies that use suppressed Ruger 10/22s. The deer are shot in the head, at night, from a stand, over bait.

Best,
Ted
To quote Lawrence Welk, "wonderful, wonderful."
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Hello Ted Schefelbein,
Thanks for the reply.

A Distinguished Marksman friend of mine was contracted to do the same within the city limits of Milwaukee. He used "quiet" low-velocity 22 rimfire ammo in a suppressed Ruger 10/22. He named his gun "Snuffy". He said most shots were 50ft or closer, and head-shots dropped them where they stood.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.