March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dan R, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele), 321 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Enjoy the search, that’s most of the fun sometimes. You are filling what I consider a fringe want. Something you want more than need and it often never meets expectations but still you should try to satisfy your want. I spent 20 years looking for a side opening O/U until I found one. Then could not hit the side of a barn from the inside with it. Sold it after a year of frustration but I still enjoyed the search and anticipation of buying it. Enjoy the ride.

1 member likes this: Hussey
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Enjoy the search, that’s most of the fun sometimes. You are filling what I consider a fringe want. Something you want more than need and it often never meets expectations but still you should try to satisfy your want. I spent 20 years looking for a side opening O/U until I found one. Then could not hit the side of a barn from the inside with it. Sold it after a year of frustration but I still enjoyed the search and anticipation of buying it. Enjoy the ride.

Now there's a man after my own heart. It's the chase, just as in hunting.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by KY Jon

Now there's a man after my own heart. It's the chase, just as in hunting.

I hunt birds during the seasons, and I hunt guns in between. Keeps me busy.

Haven't felt the itch for a 28. Yet. Bt a whispy 16 or 20, perhaps.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a very nice little 28 bore John Harper BLNE. I have made a study of the Harper gunmaking family, there were three generations of John Harper, though the youngest was known as Norman.

Their own name guns come along rarely. However, they made excellent Birmingham guns for demanding taskmasters in the London trade, who put their names to the guns. These included Beesley, Churchill, Wilkes, Robertson (Boss), Pape and Woodward.

At $1,962 in the UK, plus shipping, this gun would still come out a good deal cheaper than the others suggested: https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/harper-j/side-by-side/28-gauge/220201122950109

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Since the gun is located just down the road from Diggory Hadoke, you could ask him to look over it, broker the deal and send it over to you in one of his consignments.

Tim

1 member likes this: Hussey
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a Hussey Imperial come through the shop many years back now that was a very early 28. Stunning piece and accordingly.... the price reflected it. I used my trigger-plate Dickenson 28 extensively last Fall and finally became more-bonded with it for the first time. With truly adult dimensions (and even choke tubes!) I found it to have great utility. A pocket full of 28s is like nothing to carry and the entry price is of little consequence. The Turkish guns will likely require some sorting out, but once completed mine served very well last year.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]\[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/07/22 11:16 AM.
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by trw999
Here is a very nice little 28 bore John Harper BLNE. I have made a study of the Harper gunmaking family, there were three generations of John Harper, though the youngest was known as Norman.

Their own name guns come along rarely. However, they made excellent Birmingham guns for demanding taskmasters in the London trade, who put their names to the guns. These included Beesley, Churchill, Wilkes, Robertson (Boss), Pape and Woodward.

At $1,962 in the UK, plus shipping, this gun would still come out a good deal cheaper than the others suggested: https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/harper-j/side-by-side/28-gauge/220201122950109

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Since the gun is located just down the road from Diggory Hadoke, you could ask him to look over it, broker the deal and send it over to you in one of his consignments.

Tim

Bingo! This is the class of gun I am interested in.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

TRW999 has raised a good point: importing one from the UK looks like the better deal. Double the cost for shipping and import with gun cost is half the price of one here; not that it would cost 2 grand to get it here. The lead ban in the UK has drastically reduced doublegun value in some guns. There, not here...

Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
We had a Hussey Imperial come through the shop many years back now that was a very early 28. Stunning piece and accordingly.... the price reflected it. I used my trigger-plate Dickenson 28 extensively last Fall and finally became more-bonded with it for the first time. With truly adult dimensions (and even choke tubes!) I found it to have great utility. A pocket full of 28s is like nothing to carry and the entry price is of little consequence. The Turkish guns will likely require some sorting out, but once completed mine served very well last year.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can only imagine what a 28 b Imperial would look and feel like. I have seen a couple of 20's that have sold at auction, but I have never seen or heard of a 28b. (And I hope I never do)

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A haunting piece (all the Imperials are), that gun was a cased, two-barrel set that dated from the very early 20th Century (like 1905). The original tubes had been honed to dangerous dimensions and a second set had been added at some time. It was even 3-inch chambered(!). Speculation was that it was used by H. J. to hustle proper toffs in the pigeon ring?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/07/22 11:31 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.