April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,976
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#611204 02/16/22 02:20 PM
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got the lindner 185 12ga back from The stock doctor. Looks great,and even better original. This stock had original widows peak so I don’t believe it was ever cut.
Going over to Cole Haugh next, ejectors were always out of time(way) but didn’t see anything broken from pics.
Barrels are brown? Guess I will have them properly blued. The engraving is fine(light)but I don’t think it’s been messed with I can see slight freckles of I believe what is cch? Is the engraving supposed to be this fine?
Stock is 14 3/8 lop barrels 28” and she now weighs in at 6lbs 5oz same as most of my German 16ga guns.
Do you think engraving will need to be touched up before new cch(if I have it done)?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice
Leave the engraving as it is
Shoot the gun LOTS
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, engraving is fine, barrels look good, shoot it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leave it “as is”. A person with good intentions can kill a fine gun with too much love. Engraving as it should be. It has NOT worn.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

One more vote for, "as is"

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW love that leather pad.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks,gun is just the slightest bit loose. JJ Perodeau and others suggested that cch might be enough to tighten and if not hinge pin could be replaced after since it has caps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"cch might be enough to tighten" How? Because it warps the frame some?

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had most come back tighter but 1 came back more loose after cch I’m up to 8 that I have had done now. Lots of locking surfaces on a German gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My two cents. I own a few Lindners and have had lots of guns CCH’d to very good effect. On this gun, I’d leave the action as it is. It’s not that I’d be trying to retain original finishes…..I think that’s bullshit. But I do think that it would just look better with the refinished stock and freshly blued barrels. New CCH and the engraving will get somewhat lost.

Last edited by canvasback; 02/21/22 10:41 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks canvasback that’s kinda what I was getting at, asking about engraving and cch. I like the engraving as is,but not to fond of a silver freckled finish. We will see. Can’t wait to use it on local quail and rabbits this winter, at 6lbs 5 oz, 28” barrels, neutral cast, toe a bit out, my lop and drop it sure feels like a wand. It balances about 1/2” past hinge pin. With .006 and .007 chokes should be great for grouse and woodcock also. Printed surprisingly tight with Fiocchi 1 oz 1170fps 7.5s will have fun working that out when it comes back.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 02/21/22 11:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That’s the Lindner I’m looking for. 6.25 to 6.5 pounds and 28 to 30” barrels. I’ve got a couple mid 7 pound Lindners and 5.5 pound Lindner. But I think I want something in the middle.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun. The only issue I see with the stock is the degradation of the wood next to the frame. That seems to happen with scalloped actions. I would have thought Stock Doc might have made some of that go away. I have sent several frames out to be re case colored and here is my thought: sometimes you will have trouble with warping of the frame or maybe just a part. So if you are just sending the frame and say, forend iron etc out for CCH, be prepared to deal with some refitting. Sometimes its really a pain. Sort of a long way of saying I think the gun looks great. Go have fun with it! Gil

[IMG]
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I gave cole the Lindner gun publication that some of you guys here authored. I pointed out the featherweight original gun that was, I believe a 1906 gun(This one 1907-08).Author graciously went over what gets case and charcoal blue so I asked cole to do his best to make this thing original. So I am all in! Hoping for the best. I never have been able to “just leave well enough alone”.
This will be the most expensive restoration I have tried so far but I had almost no money in buying the gun, and I trust both the men working on it. Will show after pics in 5-7 months.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 02/24/22 08:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have a nice one. Perfect weight.

I sent my 16ga 185 to JJ for reblacking the barrels. I left my receiver as is. The barrels alone really freshened up the gun. I'd do that to this gun if it were mine. It would compliment the furniture. Not over done, just really nice.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh I have noticed your 16 185 in your pics, crazy nice. How much does yours weigh? How long are the barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jtplumb
Oh I have noticed your 16 185 in your pics, crazy nice. How much does yours weigh? How long are the barrels?

That one weighs 5#12oz with 28" barrels.

Thanks for asking. It's a favorite shotgun.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dukxdog

Out of all your nice guns that one has the best " feel" .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dukxdog

Out of all your nice guns that one has the best " feel" .

Sidelock
Sidelock

What can be done with the mottled silver and tarnished finish that occurs on many guns, German, A.H.Fox, Parkers, etc? I have seen posts that recommend treatment without new case colors.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lindner returned home after cch and blue. Is incredibly tight, and very happy with colors. Fellows didn’t want to cch the trigger guard because it was so thin? I can live with that I guess. Nicer than any gun I thought I would ever be hunting . Took little over 2 years to get here, but with these old guns(114-115yrs) it’s worth it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely!
Blued triggerguard is just fine too.

Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful piece of work.
I hope it is not too beautiful to take to the field.
GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, this gun has been a gift in many ways.

First the gun was shipped in that beautiful English best case, I sold the case and it pretty much paid for the gun. Then I got news from Dean that the barrels were great and he really did take care of them for next to nothing, Dean is awesome. Then I got to meet Dennis who is an extraordinary person, he made some great suggestions and explained everything and why he was doing what with the stock. He even tried to reduce his original quote after doing more work than we first thought. Finally after Cole Haugh returned the gun to me ( as I was loading my car)with his wonderful metal and mechanic work he gifted me his fathers( Jack Haugh, first true gunmaker i had ever met) Double Gun Journal box set( over 25 years). I had never spoke of the DGJ with him before. That Library means more to me than this gun. What a great group of people you can find in the vintage gun world!
When I do sell this gun l am firmly aware that the total amount will go to a charity, this thing was crazy.

Anyway it’s been a great 2.5 yr project one filled with learning and friendship.
Thank you guys for all your help with these extraordinary guns.
I thank God for the blessings and the journey.
Cant wait to see what in the world is next!

Last edited by Jtplumb; 08/21/22 12:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun has turned out beautifully. It’s a testament to your vision for it and the talents of the people you worked with. Well done.

As far as the DGJ set, that is a fantastic gift. Read carefully it will provide the best vintage shotgun education imaginable. I know mine has.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And too, pass on the knowledge & try to make another >>Golden Age of Gunning<< addict, who can appreciate the craft & carry on the tradition. DGJ may have reached a new phase & each & every contributor in it has a story and wisdom associated with it.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have enlightened some of my browning a5 aficionado friends on the German gun merits recently.
Seems like a very big wave of Gi bring back guns hitting the market recently also. Wish new wild quail coveys would show up at the same rate as these precious guns have been!
Thanks again to all of you! The more I read on these great guns the more I stumble on works that several here have authored.

My wife once asked “ who were you on the phone with and so excited to talk too? You never talk much….” I asked her “ can you call up the authors you read?” I was talking to Buck Hamlin about a DM Lefever I had just purchased and the bores were what I thought to be way oversized. Pretty fun times for a fellow who has only collected shotguns.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 08/18/22 08:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One reason I have enjoyed this thread is for the chance to get a good look at a piece of wood Lindner picked for one of his guns. They have a "look" to my eye and with a restock coming, I'm searching for the right blank. Its not a drop dead gorgeous Turkish blank and it's not your stereotypical better English look. It is it's own thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
That gun has turned out beautifully. It’s a testament to your vision for it and the talents of the people you worked with. Well done.

As far as the DGJ set, that is a fantastic gift. Read carefully it will provide the best vintage shotgun education imaginable. I know mine has.

a shelf well stocked with doublegun journals, and these forums at www.doublegunshop.com, are the two most worthwhile resources i can imagine for those of us who are infected with this bizarre fascination about these curious old guns with more than one barrel.

i feel enriched by having both of them at my fingertips....

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 1907 catalog sites Italian wood I thought that was probably just marketing since you don’t hear such a thing now. Maybe it was a accurate? Here are some better pics of this wood from Dennis before plugs were dressed up.
After
Hope this helps you it’s like showing off your wife with no makeup.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeez, Dennis is really good. He did a few MF Ideals for a friend of mine. Wonderful work.

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Opening bird season for me today little late getting to the field this morning but I will take what I get. 1 for 1.

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice to see it in it's natural habitat!

1 member likes this: Jtplumb
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking good! Great to see the Daly in use!

1 member likes this: Jtplumb
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.