March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

. The curator at the museum opined that (in his opinion) the vehicle was worth 35 million. Yowsa...
James, as the guard said to Luke "what we have here is a failure to communicate" regarding the D being the race version of the XKSS. The D can be the first and also the race version of the XKSS without regard to primacy. wink Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
The one thing I appreciate the most about Steve McQueen when subjects on him arise, is his late-in-life conversion and salvation in Jesus Christ. Moving story:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/steve-mcqueen-the-salvation-of-an-american-icon

JR

Before the end Steve discovered not only what he looked for, but what he needed--the grace of God and that made all the difference to him.

Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 02/18/22 01:04 PM.
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Garcia version, the BL1, also had double triggers, extractors, and was ribless. I sold mine a short time ago and would buy it back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Steve McQueen stunt
by Guy Martin; a real English Eccentric of the old school. By the way, the bike in the film was a British Triumph Motor Cycle made to look like a German bike. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by GLS
What a car!! Growing up in the 60's as a car nut, I vividly remember a neighbor, Edmund Rahal, that had the full race version of this Jag, the "D" type, in an unpainted all aluminum body. One of its distinguishing features was the fin behind the driver's head. He successfully raced the car all over the South.
https://vintageracecar.com/ed-rahal-1925-2009/

Gil

I’m doing this from memory this morning Gil but I think the XKSS was an ill fated attempt to commercialize the D-Type. The D-Type came first.

One of the problems that beset the XKSS program, besides the usual Jag stuff, was that after 14? Cars were built, the wooden forms they used to beat the body panels into shape burned in a fire. That was enough for Jag to say “enough!”

Canvasback;

You have good memory. When you view this video below about the newly (5 years or so ago) built XKSS' it will bring back more of your memories. The new ones were priced at almost US$ 2million.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

laugh I cheated Stephen. Jags run in my family. Numerous XJ12 and a mint 1972 E-Type V12 Convertible. Jaguars and Alfa Romeos were my introduction to a different kind of car than what America was making in the late 1960's and throughout the 1970's. And my earliest obsession (long before guns) were cars, specifically the products of England, Italy and Detroit muscle cars. (Odd grouping, I know).

Then women showed up!

And not to be totally off topic. Steve McQueen. He's just an actor.

Oh, and my uncle, by marriage, wrote the account while a POW in that camp, that became the basis of the book, The Great Escape, which spawned the movie. He was also a director of British Leyland, owners of the Jaguar marque.

Last edited by canvasback; 02/20/22 11:49 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

That watch he is wearing does not seem to be a watch he would normally wear. His usual watch in the early days was a Rolex 5513 Sub Mariner totally bomb proof keeps time lasts for ever, no day date mechanism known as a watch stopper a model now wanted by collectors all over the world. Then he went to Tag Heuer Le Mans so that watch may have been an advertisement plant though it does look like a run of the mill dare I say it a cheap time piece.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
And not to be totally off topic. Steve McQueen. He's just an actor.
We're all just actors on the stage of life, Cback.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

His usual watch in the early days was a Rolex 5513 Sub Mariner totally bomb proof keeps time lasts for ever, no day date mechanism known as a watch stopper a model now wanted by collectors all over the world.

I bought a Rolex Oyster Submariner in Geneva in 1973, all stainless, no day/date. Far from bomb proof. Maintenance was a headache, accuracy was questionable, but it looked good. Let my son wear it in his wedding, and that was the last time I saw it. Now he collects Rolexes. I should have known better. My current daily watch is an $18 black plastic Casio, more accurate than the Rolex, and no maintenance. When the battery dies, just buy a new watch.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Replacement
[quote] My current daily watch is an $18 black plastic Casio, more accurate than the Rolex, and no maintenance. When the battery dies, just buy a new watch.
My stepson coveted my old GMT (Pepsi Cola colors) which I eventually had it cleaned by Rolex USA, replaced the crystal and gave it to him as a college graduation present. He loves it. About 20 years ago, it went into the gun safe as my Luminox watches over the years have kept perfect time and I can read the dial in the pitch black dark without pushing a button because of the tritium illuminated hands and numbers. I've replaced the batteries over the years. Gil

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.