March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dukxdog, Ian Forrester, Perry M. Kissam, Roundsworth, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#611413 02/20/22 11:21 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went and bought a Ithaca NID, 16 bore with 26" barrels today. A friend down the street was selling her Father's bird gun and I had a weak moment. It is ok as far as the wood but the barrels are in bad shape on the outside. It has some pitting and some rust probably from storage for forty years.
It has the stars on the receiver so not sure what years it was made. It is open choked as cylinder and improved cylinder. I don't even have any 16 gauge shells.
I was planning on having a minor restoration done, re-black the barrels and hardware and freshen up the wood. I would need to replace the original Joston pad as it is starting to split.
But I would have more in it than it would ever be worth.
That's what happens when you get that funny feeling a nd your brain goes to sleep on you.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone needs a reliable American shooter. Congrats. May it cost you less than a few of your past girlfriends, with greater rewards afield.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Say what.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, that NID variation was made from 1929-‘34’ (but I have seen one earlier.). I’d go easy on yourself. Assuming the price was reasonable you’re fine. Start by having the barrels inspected and a strip and clean done. If all checks out, you won’t have much more in it and you’ll know if it’s a safe shooter or not. You can go from there.

(PM me the serial number if you’d like the exact year.)

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

nids were built 1926 to 1948. Very few after the war.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first quality double I ever owned was a 16ga NID 28" IC/F. It was built in late 47/early 48 when they were cleaning out the parts bins. One of the last few hundred made. Field gun, except they apparently only had high grade wood sets left, because the stock is spectacular. The gun was little used. I had just gone to work so I kept it a few years and had it re-cased and the barrels polished and blued. I refinished the stock. Over the years I have found it to be my idea of the best dove gun in existence. I ws naive as to old guns at the time(everyone was). I found out a long time later that the bores were original ID but the barrel walls were 0.025 at the front and the chambers were 2-9/16. I had been feeding it any ammo I could find, but the strong characteristics of the model handled it fine.

I traded an old farmer even for a Ithaca 51 Trap gun with 3" of the barrel cut off due to a corn stalk and a dove hunt. I had bought the Ithaca Trap from my cousin who's wife had the faux pas for $150. The farmer wouldn't sell the gun; he only wanted to trade for a good automatic to give to his son as a gift. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to take the money and find a gun for him.

The thing is, I paid a total of $ 300 in the mid 70's for the cold blue and bone charcoal finish. That put me at $450 in the gun, way upside down. I didn't care, because I have probably hunted doves in 40 or more dove seasons with that gun, and probably has lead to buying and selling a hundred or more doubles in that period. I have owned that gun for 50 years and have owned it longer than any other gun. It also looks like a great investment in retrospect, both from a dollars and use point. It is the one gun that I can gaurantee will be available to put in the pine box with me. Don't hesitate to do what you want to enjoy the gun. It's all not about dollars.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first quality double I ever owned was a 16ga NID 28" IC/F. It was built in late 47/early 48 when they were cleaning out the parts bins. One of the last few hundred made. Field gun, except they apparently only had high grade wood sets left, because the stock is spectacular. The gun was little used. I had just gone to work so I kept it a few years and had it re-cased and the barrels polished and blued. I refinished the stock. Over the years I have found it to be my idea of the best dove gun in existence. I ws naive as to old guns at the time(everyone was). I found out a long time later that the bores were original ID but the barrel walls were 0.025 at the front and the chambers were 2-9/16. I had been feeding it any ammo I could find, but the strong characteristics of the model handled it fine.

I traded an old farmer even for a Ithaca 51 Trap gun with 3" of the barrel cut off due to a corn stalk and a dove hunt. I had bought the Ithaca Trap from my cousin who's wife had the faux pas for $150. The farmer wouldn't sell the gun; he only wanted to trade for a good automatic to give to his son as a gift. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to take the money and find a gun for him.

The thing is, I paid a total of $ 300 in the mid 70's for the cold blue and bone charcoal finish. That put me at $450 in the gun, way upside down. I didn't care, because I have probably hunted doves in 40 or more dove seasons with that gun, and probably has lead to buying and selling a hundred or more doubles in that period. I have owned that gun for 50 years and have owned it longer than any other gun. It also looks like a great investment in retrospect, both from a dollars and use point. It is the one gun that I can gaurantee will be available to put in the pine box with me. Don't hesitate to do what you want to enjoy the gun. It's all not about dollars.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmm. I have just a little experience with Ithaca 51s. I wonder if the farmer or his son still feel it is a “good” automatic?

A buddy bought a 16 NID years ago, and lost it (and, a bit more) to a psychopath masquerading as a girlfriend. The gun is entered in the stolen gun database, but, we doubt it will ever turn up.

I remember it was a sweet handling old gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AGS
It is the one gun that I can gaurantee will be available to put in the pine box with me.

Please don't do that. Leave it to a kid if you don't have any of your own suitable. Remember, we're only stewards of these things...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Hmm. I have just a little experience with Ithaca 51s. I wonder if the farmer or his son still feel it is a “good” automatic?

A buddy bought a 16 NID years ago, and lost it (and, a bit more) to a psychopath masquerading as a girlfriend. The gun is entered in the stolen gun database, but, we doubt it will ever turn up.

I remember it was a sweet handling old gun.

Best,
Ted

My only experience was watching the barrel split 25 feet away from me, and shooting it on a trap range for a few months with a cylinder bore barrel barrel. My cousin was a dealer and the gun was not too popular. He saw a dealer special somewhere for a Trap Deluxe model with killer wood.He bought is a gun for his wife due to recoil.It was really a good looking gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.