March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#611425 02/21/22 09:11 AM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What products can you all recommend to fill and re color scars, cuts, and small holes in a vintage leather case.

Thanks as usual.

John

susjwp #611427 02/21/22 09:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never wanted to, or tried to, fill scrapes, cuts and scars on my vintage leather cases. I simply use Black Rock Leather Conditioner on them, which mellows the scars and makes them look less noticeable. This product was recommended to me by Kevin McCormack who has repaired cases for me in the past. It's a great product, IMO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
susjwp #611496 02/22/22 09:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scars, cuts and small holes in vintage leather cases have to be assessed on an individual basis. Sometimes...most times really...you have to accept it is what it is. In most situations, patching will look like patching...and to me, trying to patch a character mark many times looks worse than how it looked before someone messed with it. Conditioner helps, but conditioner can only do so much to correct the wear and tear of hard service or years and years of neglect. IMHO vintage leather cases have a character and a history they have earned from their years of service, and I accept that as part of the package...or I wait to find a vintage leather case more acceptable.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
susjwp #611525 02/23/22 05:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Susjwp from your post I take it that you would like to get from this poor specimen of a case

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To this

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well it is not difficult to do but it does take some time.

first thing to do is remove wax and polish with a solvent this will also clean the leather somewhat. I do know I will get a lot of complaints but I do prefer to use Petrol outside in the fresh air, other solvents are available.

All old leather restoration should start with a good clean, using warm water with a drop or two detergent and a fine spray bottle just dampen the leather surface then with a cloth rub the moisture into the leather this will also remove dirt that the solvent did not this will also open the pores to allow other treatments to enter the leather. The water is most important because it is moisture that the leather looses making it hard and brittle. Now to feed the leather you can purchase all sorts of potions from not a lot of cash to a stupid amount, I use only two one makes the lady I live with angry not to put too finer point on it though she does calm down when she gets a new replacement. I usually borrow a pot of her expensive moisturizer well leather is only skin after all though I do not know if E45 cream is available on your side of the pond that works just as well as the best leather conditioners though the wife's cream does take the musty smell off the leather replacing with something more pleasant. For very old dry and hard leather I have found nothing better than 50 50 Cod Liver Oil and Neatsfoot Oil though you must rub it in to the leather sparingly. Now I colour the leather food and the oil mix with leather dye to help bring back the leathers colour. at this point I do find that the nearsfoot oil mix works miracles on the case hinge leather stopping the usual cracking from getting any worse. As for cuts and gouges you can purchase leather fillers there being many varieties some co loured and others just white they work well hiding a lot of ware and tear marks. If you apply the moisturizer say every other day the leather will respond well for my final finish I like to use color shoe restoration polish applied with a cloth then left for twenty four hours then buffed up with a soft brush.
Ho[e this is of some help.

Ernie

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
4 members like this: 67galaxie, NCTarheel, susjwp, BrentD, Prof
susjwp #611528 02/23/22 06:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ernie,
That transformation is truly amazing, thanks for sharing!
Karl

susjwp #611535 02/23/22 08:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus:

Over the years you have been so incredibly helpful. Thank you. You are a gem!

3 members like this: LGF, NCTarheel, BrentD, Prof
susjwp #611554 02/24/22 08:33 AM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ernie,

Spot on. Your case looks fine and the one I am working on looks like yours before the restoration. I cleaned the leather with first saddle soap, looked ok, then a water few drops of detergent mix; cut through a century of grime, oil, etc. The leather hinge was, as you noted, dry as were one or two of the binders. I worked in a combination mink-neatsfoot oil to soften and, hopefully, stop, the cracking. Patience is the order of the day. I too, concluded that moisturizer for us humans would suffice for bovine leather and worked in that used by you know who, and let work overnight. It did improve and this process will take some time. But I am learning a lot and the winter up here in the North has been ever so cold. I am not sure I fill the cuts and scars as they look kind of nice now that the grime, dirt, and oil has been removed. I do have to restitch some corners. As usual, thanks for your insight and experience.

Stay safe,
John

susjwp #612983 03/26/22 05:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=345162&page=1

Your work ought to be a standard posting we all can see when ever we want to see what might be in a case.

Last edited by KY Jon; 03/26/22 05:52 PM.
susjwp #613002 03/27/22 07:20 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My leather case man uses, and recommends, Leatherique 2-part Restorator/Conditioner-Preservative for 100+ year old goods "that will crumble at the touch if forced open". He also says this product is "nothing short of miraculous".

I recently went over all my LOM cases again with the Blackrock Leather "N" Rich conditioner/preservative.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
susjwp #613174 03/29/22 02:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon. I had totally forgotten about that case restoration posting. I did think that it was heading for the trash when I told Photobucket that I was not going to be blackmailed int parting with cash and they can take their Bucket and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Ernie.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.