March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The levels of informed idiocy, with some dealers, sellers and collectors is beyond Jedi level. If you can stand and listen to them, with a complete and sincere expression, you pass the DC BS test and that is saying a lot. Ernest stupidity, is a truly impressive thing sometimes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John E
There are 3 DM Lefevers listed on GI by Cabelas Ft Worth. 2) 12ga grade O and a 20ga grade O.
All look like wood shed guns. A shame.

John

It is indeed a shame what has happened to these D.M. Lefever guns that Cabelas is selling. They are all quite rare, considering that only a total of around 1200 were produced. It is unusual that there would be
six D.M. Lefever box lock guns for sale on one site at the same time. I wonder how they determined the grade on the one that is listed as a 9F grade? Considering the amount of the engraving including game scenes, the checkered stock cheeks, and the Krupp fluid steel barrels, it looks more like it would be an 8E.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John- 2 Cabela 's/Bass-Ackwards Gun Library true stories-both witnessed in person by friends I know as reliable: (1) Gent is looking at used 1911-1911-A1 pistols in the case, asks the young clerk what is the difference between them? Clerk tells him:" The 1911 came out in 1905, as was designed for black powder ammo only, in the later 1911-A1 revision Colt used stronger steel and it would then handle smokeless powder loads-he tried to use an analogy between the Colt 1861 Army and the later Colt 1973 "Peacemaker".. (!) saw a redone 12 DHE at the Grandville GL a few years ago- 28", DT, AE, PG, SSB-BT-PG 90% blue and wood- tag noted: Redone by Del Greco-- Misspelling perhaps, but it is spelled DelGrego-- I asked him for a notarized copy of the invoice to validate this work by the ParkerMeister- he said that they didn't have such a invoice copy, so I asked him where did he get the idea it was done there-? His reply- "well Sir, the man we bought it from told us so."" In case you are wondering, tag asking price was $7250. Buyer Beware.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that there is another D.M. Lefever Crossbolt currently listed on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/925489294

It has also seen better days, and has had wood and metal refinished. In addition, the horn forend tip has been replaced with a piece of walnut, and it has a non-original grip cap and recoil pad.

I see that it was sold by Shoverling Daly & Gales (SD&G), and it has a pretty low serial number that would suggest Syracuse production. But it is said that all of the O Excelsior grade guns were only built in Ohio, and were never cataloged in Syracuse. I have a D.M. Lefever gun with no grade mark that appears to be about 7d or 8E grade, but mine has a semi-pistol grip, so naturally, the grade can't be found under the grip cap. It also has the SD&G stamp under the barrels. But I notice that this O Excelsior gun also has the grade stamped at the rear of the forend wood, so I will have to look there on mine. I have never seen it stated that the D.M. Lefever guns had a grade and serial number stamped into the rear of the forend wood, so this was very interesting to see. It is also very unusual that the seller would pull the grip cap and forend iron to show photos of the grade and serial number stamps in the wood. The serial number on this O Excelsior is only about 50 numbers higher than my unmarked grade D.M. Lefever, but mine is made in Syracuse, and it also has the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." engraved on the trigger plate. In addition, this one is marked D.M. Lefever & Sons Co., while my Syracuse gun is marked D.M. Lefever & Sons & Co.

It's great to see all of these popping up since there are no factory records, and so little is known about them. And unfortunately, much of what is written about them appears to be a lot of speculation.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The DM Lefever listed on GB was owned for years by a collector friend in NM, Gene Sandlin; and if my memory is correct, he got that gun from Bob Elliott. The original barrels have been cut and I don't recall what else may have been done aftermarket besides the white line rubber pad. It was listed for sale on GB previously. I find the DM Lefever guns interesting and owned a Grade 8E for several years, which was one of my all-time favorite dove guns. This gun was #1622 and had 28" Imperial Steel barrels, auto-ejectors, and single trigger. The stock featured a capped pistol grip, which the Elliott book says was a rare feature. The barrels and frame were not grade stamped, but beneath the grip cap was the stamped letter "E", which is why I determined the gun to be an 8E. But the rarest feature of that gun was the safety slide; it was a true slide and not the roller type typical of DM Lefever guns. I've not seen another example with a sliding safety. Seems I purchased the gun in the mid-'90's from New England Arms; dealer said he had 3 examples in stock at the time and that #1622 didn't work at all. But it was $1K cheaper than the others and he didn't know if it'd ever work; still it was the perfect example for a budget minded collector, so it became mine. I immediately sent the gun to Buck Hamlin; Buck got the gun in working order and sent it back was the understanding that he was guaranteeing nothing. It was dove season so away we went, and lo and behold it doubled on the first shot. It never doubled again, but the auto-ejectors never worked at all; still, there was something about how well I could shoot that gun and oft is the time I wish it were still mine in spite of its quirks.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I always enjoyed chatting with Gene Sandlin at the Colorado collectors show. I bought a 12ga straight stocked G grade from him one year. His wife was a sweet lady as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably related to the schmuck who had a few older Winchesters on his table this past Saturday at a local area show- (1) clearly a Model 25-- my son-in-law was with me, he looked it over (after asking permission) as he has one that his late father bought new right after the Korean War-- 28" Mod 75-80 % finish, smallish chip in the butt plate- tag said- Winchester Model 12 Featherweight- very scarce, as only made for 2 years-- I had my Schwing's pocket book on Winchesters-serial nos. and yom-- and opened it to the pages on the Model 12 and its variants-and it showed plain as daylight the Model 12 Featherweight- the sn ranges , the extra interchangeable barrels offered, the whole details- He asked me if I could see my book, and I told him-"sure" and he opened it to the front cover page-- "Well Mister, he told me, "this book is out of date- it was published in 1981, and this is is 2022--". I took back my Schwing pocket book, shook my head, and walked away-leaving him and his $1750 Winchester M25 behind. Later that day at the same show, a dealer/seller- had a M54 in 30-06 he was asking $3500 for- it was a Super Grade- as stamped on the forged steel drop magazine plate someone had "borrowed" from a Model 70, and stamped to pull off a counterfeit job- I looked it over, and just shook my head- as the sn showed it was an early production year M54- 1929- WRA had not yet offered the M54 in a "deluxe" version. The $125 I paid for my copy of the Roger Rule "Bible" was worth every penny-- RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, knowledge is worth everything it cost because lack of knowledge is ten times as expensive. I too just politely walk away these days from ill informed or miss informed sellers. Was not always that smart but I have learned that no matter how hard you try you can not fix stupid if stupid does not want to be fixed. So I don’t try anymore.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also owed a 8E DM Lefever at one time and sent it to Buck for work on the the triggers and ejectors. He got it working but also said he promised nothing. I don't think he liked working on them much! I have a side plate 20 ga. Lefever with him now for some work.

Here's a nice one in the rare 16 ga. A little pricy though.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ns/d-m-lefever-16ga.cfm?gun_id=101853537

Sidelock
Sidelock

William, IMO- Everything listed for sale at Kevin's is Pricey--RWTF

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.