March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#611698 02/26/22 01:00 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw this gorgeous gun at a gun show in Texas last weekend, but didn't know enough about it to buy it. The owner said the estate it came out of had sent the gun back to Holland and Holland to get completely restored. It was tight as a drum and absolutely beautiful. Should I buy it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

WOW !!
And it was in fine company.

I like the 52C Sporter smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by skeettx
WOW !!
And it was in fine company.

I like the 52C Sporter smile

You should have seen what this guy had. He even had a single shot 4 gauge. Everything was in excellent shape, no junk.

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It’s a beautiful rifle. If the asking price on the tag is right, I think it might be a bit high. Was there engraving that doesn’t show in that pic?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by CJF
It’s a beautiful rifle. If the asking price on the tag is right, I think it might be a bit high. Was there engraving that doesn’t show in that pic?

No engraving, just beautiful color/case, bluing and wood…

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Choices like this are tough. These old rifles are unique and if you don’t get it now it’s likely gone forever. And we don’t extra points when we leave this world for the money we have left in the bank. So if it speaks to you, buy it.

The argument against buying that particular rifle is that at $12,500 you are probably paying more than you would if you were willing spend time combing auctions and talking to sellers.

I have two double rifles. Both purchased in the past 3 years for under $6K each. I look at a lot of listings before I buy. To me the hunt is as much fun as owning. And ultimately much of what I buy in turn gets sold to pay for something else I had to have. So I can afford this hobby only if I don’t lose money when letting things go. And to me, even with a letter from H&H saying they did the work, the price is ~4K high. A case, dies, brass and other accessories could reduce that. It’s also worth noting that I mostly look for guns that were on the higher end of their respective maker’s output vs pure working guns from good makers. H&H is top tier, but I am biased against plain guns when buying doubles.

So get it if it really speaks to you but only if it does and you think you’ll feel that way for a few years. Good luck.

Chris

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I just wish I still had my $1200 Purdey hammer double.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by CJF
Choices like this are tough. These old rifles are unique and if you don’t get it now it’s likely gone forever. And we don’t extra points when we leave this world for the money we have left in the bank. So if it speaks to you, buy it.

The argument against buying that particular rifle is that at $12,500 you are probably paying more than you would if you were willing spend time combing auctions and talking to sellers.

I have two double rifles. Both purchased in the past 3 years for under $6K each. I look at a lot of listings before I buy. To me the hunt is as much fun as owning. And ultimately much of what I buy in turn gets sold to pay for something else I had to have. So I can afford this hobby only if I don’t lose money when letting things go. And to me, even with a letter from H&H saying they did the work, the price is ~4K high. A case, dies, brass and other accessories could reduce that. It’s also worth noting that I mostly look for guns that were on the higher end of their respective maker’s output vs pure working guns from good makers. H&H is top tier, but I am biased against plain guns when buying doubles.

So get it if it really speaks to you but only if it does and you think you’ll feel that way for a few years. Good luck.

Chris

Thanks for the input. This is what I was looking for when I posted this. The owner told me that the Holland and Holland restoration was more than the asking price of the gun. A 500/450 BPE is too much gun for me to mess with considering the unknowns.

I bought a Henry Clarke double rifle in 7X57R several years ago for the same reason and I don’t shoot it much. Holland and Holland rings a bigger bell, so I didn’t want to pass on a potential gem.

It is such a beautiful piece, being Holland and Holland, I thought there may be much more meat on the bone than that. He also has a Winchester 1876 in 50 express and that is some serious material that I will continue to find out if I can get it. I am more proficient in lever action rifles than doubles.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.