April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, FallCreekFan, Marks_21, canvasback), 239 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,781
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gene,

Thank you for the pictures of those 3 Westley Richards actioned Reilly guns. All 3 appear to be typical Anson and Deeley actions as made by Westley Richards and undoubtedly by others in the trade.

My gun Reilly 30227 differs in having the Facile Princeps action with its rounded front to the bar, and being the first model Facile Princeps the bottom end of the cocking hook protruding through the action body.

Those features, combined with the Westley Richards style top lever, are shared with the Cogswell and Harrison Daryl located and I would be interested, as I said at the outset, in learning about other guns sharing those features as it would now appear mine is not a “one off”.

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by Mr W martin
Originally Posted by John Roberts
E. M. REILLY!
E. M. REILLY!
E. M. REILLY!
JR
Hello, could you please clarify? Regards

Gladly. Heavy on sarcasm. After 80 pages of E. M. Reilly talk that began in 2016, with over 1.3 million views and almost 800 replies, I'm not sure why an additional thread is needed to discuss more of the same, save the fact it's another example for, more of the same, if you get my drift.
E
Not judging, just saying...r dtupi
JR
My apologies, I rather naively or stupidly thought you were attempting to add something of value to this interesting topic. Regards

NA
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola thank you for posting, it is an interesting gun.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you.

I was in two minds as to whether to re-open this thread when I saw the Bland gun at Holts.

I am very glad that I did, as the Cogswell and Harrison gun Daryl found goes some way to answering my original post, and otherwise I doubt if I would ever have known about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, fascinating and unique gun. I knew nothing about that action. Thanks for posting and I for one certainly learned a lot.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Daryl Hallquist kindly assisted with my search for a similar gun by providing a link to a Cogswell and Harrison offered on Gunbroker. As that link has now expired I am uploading the images I saved in case anyone wishes to compare them with the gun I have now found and will show in the next post.

Last edited by Parabola; 09/20/22 07:07 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another gun that shares the Westley Richards top extension/sliding top bolt with the Greener Facile Princeps action. The serial number is in the Greener numbering sequence for 1885, shortly before they started in 1886 at 6001 a separate block for Needham guns that continued until 1941.

It appears that when Greener acquired Needham in 1874 that he moved all the production in house. Whilst some Needham guns bore a Loveday Street address it is the side of the same block as the St. Mary’s works.

I had previously remarked on the similarities of the filing of the top lever on my Reilly to a Needham gun. It seems almost certain that my Reilly was made at the Greener works.

Last edited by Parabola; 09/20/22 08:22 AM.
1 member likes this: LeFusil
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have now taken delivery of the Greener built J.V. Needham gun pictured above and find that it is another early model Facile Princeps action with the swinging cocking hook on the front lump, albeit in this case incorporating the Needham/Greener ejectors.

The photo of the water table shows the stamp for the Greener Patent number 930/1880 for the Facile Princeps action. Situated below it in the bolt release stud which holds the top lever and bolts open. Necessary in guns fitted with a Greener cross bolt, less so in this case with a dolls-head to extension.

J.N. Patent 676 - I can’t match this to a particular Needham Patent and take it 676 could be a use number.

I assume the 1881 U.S. patent was Greener getting protection for his 1880 Facile Princeps patent.

The ejector operates as follows. On firing the cocking dog drops to press down under tension on the upper projection on the cocking hook.

As the gun opens it slips off and strikes the ejector kicker before engaging and being re-cocked by the rising lower part of the hook.

It is a wonder that they worked at all, let alone (at least in this case) more than 130 years later.

Although a well used gun it does not appear to have been externally abused, and the action still bears traces of a dried grease coating which doubtless helped preserve it.

Last edited by Parabola; 12/04/22 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, very nice gun. Those self acting ejectors are nice, and they work until there is excessive wear or if the the geometry of the sear noses is changed. The old gunsmith rule on these self acting ejector mechanisms is that it’s best not to alter the trigger pulls on these FP actions. They were adjusted and timed at the factory and should remain how they were if possible. The sear nose and tumbler bent are critical in keeping the mechanism in time.
My G-guns do not have the bolt release stud in the action that your gun has. I’m going to post a picture of what the internals on one of these self acting ejector mechanisms looks like. They are actually very simple. There are no separate “cocking dogs” in this action, the tumbler (hammer) and cocking limbs are all one piece. Actually a very simple & very robust action, very few parts, the critical timing of the action being most important to keeping the guns mechanism healthy and working correctly.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin, what is that part between the hammers (to the right) and the top lever (to the left)? It appears to be a two piece affair that will swivel from one side to the other.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.