April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (KDGJ, SKB, Kolar Dickson, Lawrence Kotchek, Longknife, Der Ami), 258 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,770
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by damascus
Guns go off the face only with use the size of load used is also a contributing factor so no make of gun is immune from this. I have repaired nearly new guns with loose ribs and more Spanish offerings than I care to remember. Of course gunman's opinion is just his a opinion the same as mine just opinion, he cant have seen every gun built by w & S over the years." having heard of" as far as I see does not carry any weight for a convincing argument as they say talk is cheap fact is costly. For so many guns to be out there and working their reliability must be high enough for the thousands sold around the world. Finally all the working parts of a 700 can be made by hand with a file occasionally a lathe if necessary I do know this because over the years I have done it they are internally so basic.
If you read my earlier post you will have noticed I stated a favourable opinion of reliability re 700s. That does not disguise the fact that faults can arise in the guns. Yes, faults happen in all guns but we are talking 700s here . As stated my own preference is for an earlier screw grip 400
or A&W action.Finally on your argument of cheap talk and " having heard of" I am relaying my personal experiences and that of many honest shooting friends, in and out of the trade, who have vast knowledge of British guns . Regards

Last edited by Mr W martin; 03/09/22 06:48 PM.

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, absolutely no offense intended, but I feel a need to remind folks that any gun's objective handling is a combination of weight, balance (teeter-totter point) relative to (front) trigger, unmounted swing effort, and mounted swing effort. Subjective handling is an individual shooter's personal feeling/satisfaction as to the combination of handling factors (above). None of these four factors is stand-alone. There is no single factor that sums up handling.

Weight requires a weigh scale, balance requires a fulcrum and a ruler, and swing efforts require measurement of the moment of inertia at the balance point. Balance is often misused to mean handling. Unfortunately, there is no overall "balance" of a gun and there are no secret magical ways of "making a good handling gun."

DDA

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB said "What is not to like?" referring to hand made Birmingham boxlocks. Well, the high cost of simple maintenance is one reason. Other reasons are evident throughout this thread.

The usual mantra is that a SXS should be cleaned and serviced annually or at least biannually. On a hand made SXS that job has a considerable cost. A SXS action that allows owner maintenance with not special tools has an advantage that is important to many people.

From the engineering and design point of view the 626 action has the Anson Deeley beat on every point. The solid cross pin and V springs being the start and it goes on from there. I had two V springs, one tumbler one ejector, break on me, it was not fun. A gunsmith friend who worked for Boss has called the solid cross pin a manufacturing perversion.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 03/10/22 05:53 AM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I enjoy nicely made items, especially nice guns when I hunt. A bit of maintenance does not bother me. It sounds like you have had some bad luck. My own guns have not needed near the amount of repair yours have required. I do drive a very practical vehicle, a Toyota Tacoma. To each their own but I'll stick with hand made British guns thanks. I find they suit my purpose just fine, with a minimum amount of hassle and they bring me great pleasure, something that mass produced guns do not do for me.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
2 members like this: LeFusil, DaveB
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Beretta has the a&d beat on every point except soul and a human touch you can get a 400 fit and finished by 20 makers .each one might add it's own take on engraving ,stocking.straight hand pow, full pistol.something to make most shot gun lover smile.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

and how do you assign value to soul?

Few of us who are truly doublegun aficionados value practicality over nostalgia. If I wanted a nice practical gun I would be on the Benelli forum but I'm not. I fill my freezer every year with wild game, not because it is less costly but because I thoroughly enjoy my time an the field and vintage double add to my experience. YMMV,
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

And that's what I was trying to say ,the value is the work some unknown craftsman put in to a gun because he could .like Len bull would say ,,you go back and do that right this isn't fkn cogswell and harrison .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, at least Coggie had a real factory and made most of their own guns in house…that means multiple known craftsmen actually ran the machines, sat at the bench and did the work…..completely opposite of what happened at E.M. Reilly’s super Walmart/Sears catalog store.😂.
I know, that wasn’t nice at all.😒

I wonder what Len Bull would say about a Extra Quality Victor?

1 member likes this: keith
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So defensive ,Len was working at Holland and Holland at the time and if you did something substandard you were told to do it to Holland's standards .not cogswell and harrison.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, I miss Leonard’s visits to Dennis’s class! Great stories from a wealth of knowledge told by a guy that was there. I can’t look at a Coggy with out hearing Leonard!

2 members like this: mc, SKB
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.