March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#612343 03/13/22 06:29 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,
I’ve recently received back a set of Westley Richards 12 bore damascus barrels that I had sent out for some work on the lug. The work preformed was done well enough however they were recklessly packaged for shipping and the muzzles ended up with some deep gouges, dents, and scratches by making contact with another part in the package. The damage is enough that to remove all of it the muzzles would need to be taken back enough that half of the front bead would go with it. Also, a good amount of wall thickness would be lost by erasing some deep scratches.
I’ve done some research on how to go about a proper repair and lesser alternative methods. One option was micro welding another delt with setting the front bead back, but that also got into rib and solder work as the bead is a part of the top rib. I decided for now to take the muzzels back to the bead and some stoning on the side scratches. This helped remove a lot of damage but it’s still very noticeable considering these barrels are in excellent original condition otherwise.
So my question here is, what estimated percentage of dollar value to the gun is lost with said damage? Just going to make up numbers here but if it was a 1000.00 dollar gun before damage, does it lose 20% value making it an 800.00 gun now? Or 25% or……..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Newton 1131
So my question here is, what estimated percentage of dollar value to the gun is lost with said damage? Just going to make up numbers here but if it was a 1000.00 dollar gun before damage, does it lose 20% value making it an 800.00 gun now? Or 25% or……..

The barrels make the gun....I'd say your likely at an 80% loss in value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest posting pictures and letting some of the gunsmiths who post on here evaluate the damage.

I had a little bit of damage to the exterior of the barrel at the breach end on a BLNE I owned and was contemplating having it welded up. The cost of the repairs (welding and rebrowning) exceeded the value of the gun and folks on here told me not to bother with it, rightly in retrospect. I later sold that gun for $900. I would imagine based on your description that your situation is similar i.e. it is not worth the cost of repairing unless it has some other value to you.

Here is a pic:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by Newton 1131

The barrels make the gun....I'd say your likely at an 80% loss in value.

I rarely agree with jOe on anything. But IMHO he's on the money with this. The barrels ARE the gun.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless it was returned in the same packing that you mailed it the 'smith, I believe the gun should be "bought" at the pre-damage appraisal by the person who packed it and let them worry about selling it. James, how can we forget your receipt of a damaged gun mailed loose in a box swithout packing material mailded from Europe to Canada. Conversely, Stan bought an Aussie gun packed the same way and received it undamaged. Gil

GLS #612375 03/13/22 12:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Unless it was returned in the same packing that you mailed it the 'smith, I believe the gun should be "bought" at the pre-damage appraisal by the person who packed it and let them worry about selling it. James, how can we forget your receipt of a damaged gun mailed loose in a box swithout packing material mailded from Europe to Canada. Conversely, Stan bought an Aussie gun packed the same way and received it undamaged. Gil

Every time we ship something we incur risk. Can't be helped, only mitigated.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the reply’s from all,
I’ve heard the old saying, “When you buy a double shotgun you’re really only buying the barrels”. I agree that the cost of repair would exceed value as in the case stated by Dan S.W.’s post, and I really don’t want to risk another shipping issue (as noted by Canvasback) from another contractor. I’ll have to live with the damage.
The lug work was actually only a small amount of touch-up engraving, so I’m really taken back that a professional of such trade could treat a clients property in that manner. The good news is that this professional is associated with an organization that touts a long chapter to a Code of Ethics, so reimbursement should not be a problem.
80 % devalue from the information given in my previous post is noted. I’ll have to see about posting a damage photo for further evaluation as my photo host is full and won’t let me copy link.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go. Was a chunk of the keel, top rib, front sight knocked off?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry your barrels were damaged, but I wouldn’t fret that. Get them refinished

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.