March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Out of chaos there is opportunity. Hoping the demise of the "big box" stores will encourage the small, sole-proprietor gun shops to give better guns a try again someday.
In another take on it, I think 'we' contribute to the demise of brick and mortar places of all sizes, by looking for our classics and antiques, online.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was a kid, and went with my Dad to the hardware store, on a mission to buy an adjustable wrench. There were two available, in the size he wanted, a Diamond forge, from Duluth, MN. and I believe a Taiwanese wrench, less then half the cost. Dad told me one day, in my lifetime there would be just the cheaper version, and it would cost what the Diamond did.
Diamond went under just a few years after that. Can’t fault Dad, he bought the Diamond, which, I still have.

I remember the Herter’s catalog, never saw a Cabela’s catalog in my life. I never walked out of a Cabela’s store with a gun, or without being disappointed with what I saw in it. There are two of those stores within 20 minutes of my house, and I haven’t been in either for years. My last purchase was a Cabela’s branded coat, purchased from the bargain cave at the insistence of my wife, who said it looked “nice”. It was advertised as being warm and waterproof, and, I can assure you it is neither. She got a pair of flannel girl jackets from the same cave, likely because she can wear a juniors size and that stuff doesn’t sell well in either of those two stores, and she was very happy with them.

I am not totally sold on the notion that the change to crap at the retail level was “my” fault, as I am well stocked on Filson and Pendleton clothing and Snap-on and Matco tools, that I had to go out of my way for, and happily did.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some great guns went through the Cabela's gun library in the past, I bought a couple from them, including the very last gun I will ever sell.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: journeymen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted people like you and I are outliers when it comes to retail shopping. Few and far between. And the retailers must cater to those who pay the bills. For a while, smart specialty retailers can compete. Because some of us think the way we do. But as the years go by it gets harder and harder for them. And Craig is correct. On line shopping makes it even harder for them. There are NO stores selling the kind of hunting gear I like to buy in my whole damn country. Or so few as to not matter. Certainly none within a days drive. So I have to shop on line to get what I want. It’s a vicious circle. In a way, on line helps small start up manufacturers as there is no retailer “gatekeeper”. He can access his consumer base directly. But it’s deadly for retailers.

BTW, in 2000 I bought some Cabelas private label camo duck hunting clothing. At the time, it was quite good quality for the money. I still use it and it still works great. It wasn’t always all shit.

Last edited by canvasback; 03/24/22 12:36 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yet another example of the "Great Reset"?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Price is long forgotten after quality has been compromised

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabelas is just the current example of the general race towards mediocrity that appears to be today’s standard of American business. One sees this frequently in restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, etc. Mediocrity started with the over expansion of Cabelas 30 years ago. The Gun Room died shortly after it opened in too many outlets and as their stock of good, high quality guns diminished to overpriced new guns. As merchandisers often do the company followed trends and maximized immediate profits never thinking about the longevity of the business. Without a sense of what the business does, or an attachment to the business, a hired Harvard MBA will likely drive it into oblivion fully believing that a short term gain, then dumping the company, is success. The MBA just moves to another company who’ll give him/her a buy out clause.

I don’t know if the quality shops that I visited in my youth will ever come back. I certainly hope they do, but survival in today’s business environment will be challenging for the under financed attempting to get into it.

Last edited by FelixD; 03/24/22 06:37 PM.
2 members like this: DAM16SXS, 12boreman
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I remember when Cabela's had seasoned veterans working in the Gun Library that had 20-30+ years of old world and general firearms knowledge. I think over the years that valuable knowledge has left and was not replaced probably because Bass Pro/Cabela's wanted to hire people off the street for $12 per hour. Seems like a lot of specialty businesses have gone that route. That is my theory anyway.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found a single shot break action german rifle at one in WV through their guns international listing. Hopefully it ends up in GA ok. The ones down here had mostly ww2 military surplus but no sporting guns

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought the first gun sold out of the Cabela's Gun Library in their then brand new Owatonna MN store. And bought and traded a lot more guns after that. I got an invitation to attend on "media day", before their official grand opening. Ran across a nice little 16ga Ingram. Asked whether they were actually selling that day. They were. It was about a 2 hour drive from my house in northern Iowa to that store. I always checked to see who'd be working in the Library when I was planning to make a trip. I'd go if it was Bill Taylor or one of the other guys I'd come to know and trust.

A real shame how that's changed. One problem: They expanded too fast, especially after going corporate. There are only so many people that have the knowledge to run a fine, collectible gun operation. Especially one that includes shotguns, rifles, and handguns.

Here's an example of the way they stood behind the guns they sold back in those days: I bought a 16ga Greener from the Owatonna store. One of a pair. Broke at the wrist on station one during my first round of skeet. I immediately called Bill Taylor. I knew they'd refund my money, but I asked them if they'd restock it for me. It had come from the Kansas City store, and Bill contacted B.C. Kinsey. They did, and turned it around fairly quickly.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/24/22 02:49 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.