March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (graybeardtmm3, WJW), 634 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#612853 03/24/22 05:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a line on one- stock fits me perfectly, no scope, bull barrel--mint bore & chamber- 2 ??'s- unlike my other pre-1964 M70's and my one M54- this gem has no serial number 174XXX engraved on the long extractor bar on the bolt? Factory fubar?? How much of an issue could this be? You can't interchage, within the same caliber/familt M70 bolts, as you can with 190's-How expensive and scarce is factory ammo n .220 Swift and what are the best bullet weights for varmints?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the thing about Swifts was the possibility of having a burned out throat. I don't know if that kind of thing would be visible without a borescope?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am given to understand the main cause of early lack of accuracy with the 220 Swift was incomplete cleaning of the bore. I believe serial numbers were not actually required until the "Gun Control Act" of 1968. If I am wrong, it isn't the first time.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've heard this same thing-the throat and barrel check out O-K here are some "pro and cons"- the gun is with a dealer I know well- no scope, but std M70 D&T for 1" ring mounts. Wood and metal 95%-no narrel bore wear, stock is a Monte Carlo comb with roll-over style, std steel butt plate with the spur at heel- std qd sling studs-- trigger pull is clean and crisp. Cons are: barrel was cut down from 26" to 22.5" by a previous owner- why?? I surely can't guess. How much does that affect accuracy with a hot caliber like the .220 Swift?? And how hard to ind and at what high price is the ammo to feed this Winchester in today's crazy ammo market? RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,

I assume you mean that the action is stamped w/ a serial number but the bolt does not have the matching # electro pencil engraved on it?

If so it could be a simple as someone has polished the bolt body & removed the serial # or it could be a replaced or mismatched bolt. I would want to check the headspace & feeding function on that rifle before buying it.

As far as shooting the .220 Swift, I have owned 3 pre 64 model 70 Swifts over the years & they are "the bomb" for a varmint rifle as far as I'm concerned. All shot very well & one was exceptionally accurate.

Brass is available & they are easy to load for with the exception that the cases tend to stretch & require frequent trimming. I always had the best accuracy w/ 50 or 52 grain bullets but that was 35 years ago & bullets have improved a lot. The Swift in the Pre 64 M 70 rifles has a 1 in 14" twist so I would not try any bullets over 55 grains (I tried some Nosler 60 grain bullets back in the day & couldn't get them to shoot as well as the lighter bullets).

FWIW, I don't think barrel throat erosion or barrel cleaning frequency is any worse than a 22-250 Remington.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes- that is what I meant-- It does indeed look like the electro-etching was buffed off- I have a M54 in SG .270 made in 1934- used a fair amount, but the etched matching number to the stamped serial number is still visible on the bolt group. 1 in 14: twist- fairly shallow rate, as compared to a .308 or a .243"?? My main concern is the "ampuated" barrel, albiet crowned-- how much does this affect long range accuracy at S. Dakota prairie dawg ranges-?? I checked Midway and ammo, albiet a tad pricey, is available. I'm taking my pre-Garcia Sako L59 in .243Win this summer as my "main stay" dinger- going to West SD, late August early Sept--So I am thinking of this older "cherry" M70 as a "second"..

As for scopes, I'm open right now- thinking a 10X or 12X Unterl- or a Kahles, Leupold, Redifeld- and Hornady factory--Thanks for the input. RWTF

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
...... this gem has no serial number 174XXX engraved on the long extractor bar on the bolt? Factory fubar?? How much of an issue could this be? You can't interchage, within the same caliber/familt M70 bolts, as you can with 190's-...
RWTF, can you add a little clarity to your comments, is the receiver body serial numbered? Is the serial number engraved on the bolt body with an electric engraving pen or missing from here?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes-the serial number is stamped on the barrel boss of the receiver- bolt side and at he front- #174793-- but is NOT etched, at least visibly, on the extracyor claw or anywhere else on the bolt body--or may be worn off- hard to guess. 1950 era- one of the best years for M70's- and soetime later, by 1951-52, according to R. Rule- they dropped he hand lead barrel lapping process and went to broach rifling., RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bolt might be a replacement for a lost original assembly.
A standard 30-06 bolt will work,or one from a 270. Two common M70 calibers.
The case head size on the 220Swift is 30-06 size,,the case body slightly smaller in dia leaving it with it's semi-rim case.

Perhaps a replacement bolt with it's non-matching ser# to the Swifts recv'r # simply had the bolt number polished off.
Better looking as a -blank- than a mismatched part.

The ejector in the 220Swift M70 is a longer length than the standard ejector used in the 30-06/270 calibers
due to the shorter 220S case length. Same one used in the 257Roberts and 243.
The mag box is shorter than the standard 30-06 box .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Run With The Fox,
Shortening the barrel shouldn't affect accuracy, if properly crowned, velocity will be somewhat lower however. As far as case stretching is concerned, that can be largely eliminated by adjusting the sizing die to just "kiss" the shoulder. This will also solve the problem (if any) of excess headspace due to a possible replaced bolt. The 1 in 14" twist was a match to the 48gr. original bullet, loaded to 4000+ fps, for the obvious advertising benefit. The critical factor is bullet length, weight only matters insofar as it affects length. The Nosler 60 gr Partition bullet is simi-spitzer and is shorter than a common 55 grain soft point. This bullet works in a 1 in 14" twist barrel and will make a varmint rifle into a deer rifle, without the bullet "blowing up" as the 220 Swift was known for.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.