March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (bigblock, docbill, battle, eightbore, GeorgeGibbs505, 1 invisible), 870 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#612872 03/24/22 10:46 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at a gun which needs to be sleeved. Anybody have a current suggestion who to have it sleeved by and what the normal cost is now? I would like to get it sleeved, before shipping it here. I do not know who to use, as the couple contacts I had, have retired and one I think is dead. For all I know they were sending them out to someone else in the trade and acting as a middle man, not that that would matter to me. £3,000 was the last quote I had for a top level job, with two options of £2,000 as a "decent" job and £1,350 as the "economy" version. Is that still the going rate?

There are three guns in the Holt's upcoming sealed bid, I would love to buy, which all really need to be sleeved. I have thought about just using Briley tubes in them and shooting them as is but the extra weight would change them too much I am afraid. I do not like near eight pound small bores. They are not in the stock, action and cut barrels category yet, but very thin walls, black powder proof, with pits and dents, that are in the .016 or under range. To me that says sleeve me or pass. I might try saving one of them if I could get a handle on the sleeving cost.

My favorite listing is that endless money pit we all think would be cool do, but which in real life you hate before you ever get it finished. About the only thing not needing attention are the hammers and maybe side plates. Barrels are a mess, stock a complete mess, off face, trigger guard slightly bent, you can just see the piles of money needed to put it right. That £250-500 gun soon becomes a $3-4,000.00 gun or twice that much and that could buy a very nice gun, without the need for so much of an overhaul. But still it is such a great looking money pit.;)

Sidelock
Sidelock

My suggestion would be to buy a gun that was already sleeved . There’s a lot of great guys at real bargains out there with sleeved Barrels. Buy one on this side of the pond and you will know what your spending and know what your getting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you need to back away from the computer, mix a drink, or, three, and forget about it. In the morning, this will seem like the bad dream it was.

Buy a gun that is in excellent shape, here, if you must (I somehow doubt you need another gun, but, whatever). Take advantage of the universal 3 day return policy offered by reputable dealers. Avoid anything that has been sleeved.

You won’t hate the gun, or, yourself, if you start with a gem to begin with.

Best,
Ted

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I will will put you in touch with a top man in London for sleeving, basic cost is 2500 gbp. New ribs, re-joining, engraving can add additional money. PM in bound.

I have another client heading his way as well.

Don't listen to our resident Debbie Downers, life is too short. Buy the gun or the puppy is my take. Looking at adding a Setter to the crew myself.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sleeving doesn’t always kill the value. See lot 1556 at Holt’s a 16 bore Beesley SLNE with 26 inch barrels sleeved in 1970 (when the Proof House was still insisting on stamping SLEEVED on the outside of the barrels) estimated at £700 to £900.

Hammer price £5,200 so £6,760 to get it out of the room!

Another recent example Lady Meux’s 28 bore BIW Purdey hammer gun.

I know that exceptions don’t disprove the rule, which is that at auction a sleeved gun will generally cost a fraction of the cost of sleeving and may therefore be a very good bargain.

I have noticed that at least one of the regular contributors to the Game and Gun pictures seems to have every satisfaction with his SLEEVED British boxlock, and his pheasants do not seem any less dead.

2 members like this: BrentD, Prof, ClapperZapper
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola

I have noticed that at least one of the regular contributors to the Game and Gun pictures seems to have every satisfaction with his SLEEVED British boxlock, and his pheasants do not seem any less dead.

I think I know that guy.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those of who don't have the money available to buy a gun in excellent shape, a sleeved gun is a chance to own a fairly nice gun for substantially less than a comparable gun that hasn't been sleeved

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Johnson's for sure. Barrel Maker for all London Best guns

Mike Proctor
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PALUNC
Johnson's for sure. Barrel Maker for all London Best guns

Blacker's maybe?

Johnson's(barrel browner here) owns the newly revived John Manton and is building new guns as well as specializing in blacking and browning. If they are sleeving too I did not know that.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

German gunsmiths regularly sleeved barrels. We sleeved my Meffert drilling, all three barrels, and I have been very satisfied with it (since the 1970s). If you take a worthless gun and make something very useful and highly prized, it is hard to see how the "value" could have been "killed".
Mike

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.