March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would refresh make sure if there is any oil soaked wood to address that but wood will shrink a lot if you soak the wood to remove oil I have used timberlux and it works as advertised good luck

2 members like this: WRE1, Woodreaux
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a variety of stock finishes depending on what I am doing and Timberlux is one I use often. I have several clients who love the results and ask for it when I refinish guns for them. I really like the luster it gives. As Mark said, you can finish a couple of stocks with one small bottle.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone know what Timberlux is comprised of? It wouldn't happen to be 50/50, solvent based spar varnish and pure tung oil, would it?

That's what Pilkington's finish is, and it renders a lovely glow as well, or can be taken on to a high gloss if desired.

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 04/06/22 07:02 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, in that Timberluxe thread I posted a link to earlier, Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations posted the ingredients in Timberluxe from the MSDS. It is apparently nothing but Linseed oil/Sunflower oil, Naptha, and a Metallic dryer:

Originally Posted by Mike Hunter
Up front: intent is not to disparage Timberlux or their products. I have never used their products so have no firsthand knowledge as to applicability.

As to Timberlux ingredients, when looking at the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) which is a legal document required by OSHA. Timberlux listed Naphtha (thinner), linseed/sunflower oils and metallic driers.

We all know that linseed oil has historically been used in wood finishes, we also know that linseed oil alone is not a very good wood protectant, as it easily allows moisture and moisture vapor to penetrate the wood fibers. In the past, it's been mixed with shellac or resins: amber, dammar, copal, etc to make a varnish.

I have no idea on the protective qualities of sunflower oil as nobody recommend it for anything more than "food safe" applications such as cutting boards and salad bowls. And only if you cannot use walnut oil due to nut allergies.

The metallic driers help the linseed and sunflower oils to oxidize, and neither will completely dry on their own.

Respectfully

Mike

Those of us who are not silly enough to be fooled by advertising hype and magical claims understand that this is noting special, and that the price per ounce is ridiculous. If some some reason I really wanted to use these ingredients, I'd mix them myself for a tiny fraction of the cost.

I do find it entertaining that SKB Stevie is now claiming to use Timberluxe often, yet didn't even mention it until Mark recommended it and I advised against it. Here's what he/she said about NOT using Timberluxe in that prior thread:

Originally Posted by SKB
Daly's has been my principle wood finish for a dozen years or so, great stuff! I also use Watco Danish oil, Linseed oil, alkenet root, Waterlox,spirit stains, all depending upon the finish I desire. I have a client who uses Winwax antique oil finish with superb results. I often use Daly's to harden my Linseed oil finish. It has been 15 years since I used tru-oil but I hunted the last stock I finished with it this year in driving rain and sleet, still good to go. Lots of ways to get a good finish. I have yet to try Timberlux, I admit the price scares me off, but I do like the what I have seen of the stocks finished with it. I might have to try a bottle just to see for myself. Like Mark, I do a lot of restoration work and while resistance to the elements is one factor I consider it is not the only one.

Good to see both Mike and Mark posting on the forum.

Of course, we know that Mark and SKB Stevie are pals, and SKB Stevie will say anything to prove me wrong. So he/she would back up Mark's opinion even if Mark told us that rubbing dog turds on a stock would provide a nice finish.

It is nice though, to see that SKB Stevie's continuous advertising of his/her gun importation business here on Dave's forum is paying off.

Originally Posted by Woodreaux
I just received this 1896 EM Reilly 16 gauge, imported from Holt's with the service of SKB (Thanks Steve).

I'm quite sure that Dave will be getting paid his $12.00 for the sale that was made as a result of all that free advertising done here... unless it is claimed that the sale occurred on another forum...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A total mystery and thankfully Kojack is on the case, thanks Keith!

Let me help you get to the bottom of things. Mark was kind enough to send me a bottle of timberluxe and I liked the results. I now use it in the shop regularly. Oddly, you do not play into my decision making process when selecting a stock finish for a particular project.

Jim bought his gun from Holt's not from me. Unless the rules have changed, I only owe Dave 12$ for a gun I sell. On the rare occasion that a board member buys a gun from me that I advertise here I pay Dave 25$.

Timberluxe is good stuff in my opinion.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
2 members like this: mc, mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

actually Timberluxe is $15 per 1/2oz Still expensive if you extrapolate to bulk, but so are others like Pilkington's, which is $37 for a 2oz bottle. When we are talking about well under
$50 per gun refinish, the cost seems irrelevant if the product works as desired.

I've not used either product. I'm more interested in trying to make my own concoction, chiefly because I enjoy mixing and experimenting with old recipes. To each his own in my opinion.

Caravaggio, don't forget to upload some pictures. You'll get better/more specific advice that way and we'll all enjoy seeing the gun.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Stan, in that Timberluxe thread I posted a link to earlier, Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations posted the ingredients in Timberluxe from the MSDS. It is apparently nothing but Linseed oil/Sunflower oil, Naptha, and a Metallic dryer:

Thanks, Keith. I did not remember that link, and discussion by Hunter.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is Terry Weiland's take on Timberluxe:

"I have TimberLuxe finishes on several pieces.... Brian [creator of Timberluxe] lists endorsements from venerable companies like Griffin & Howe and Perugini-Visini. As a further affirmation, I asked gunmaker Lee Shaver for his opinion, which was quite simple: “It’s the best hand-rubbed oil finish I’ve ever used,” he told me. From a gunmaker of Lee’s standing and experience, it hardly gets much better."

I am still inclined to believe that a committed potion conjurer can get make his own oil finish, and that it is more satisfying to apply a finish that was made at the finishing bench. But surely creating a finish is not as simple as reading an MSDS and thinking that A+B+C= X. And surely $15 has been spent on far dumber things than a simple, premixed and predictable gun finish, especially if the results are pleasing.

[Update: Timberluxe now has a 2 oz jar for $35, so $2 cheaper than Pilkington's Wood Finish.]

Last edited by Woodreaux; 04/07/22 09:54 AM.

Jim
1 member likes this: WRE1
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't prove that SKB Stevie does not now regularly use Timberluxe. It just seems odd that he didn't recommend it to the OP if it is so wonderful and instead advised him to use plain old linseed oil. I also didn't say that Woodreaux bought his gun from SKB Stevie. What I was referring to is the repeat business that results from his/her continuous free advertising and self promotion of firearms importation and gunsmithing in his/her tagline.

As I understand it, sales that are the result of advertising done on Doublegunshop forum should mean that site Administrator Dave Weber gets paid $12.00. And that includes a lot of things sold besides guns. I wonder how making money from selling a service is any different from selling a gun? When I bought some gun books sold here recently, the seller paid Dave. And he didn't say they were sold on another forum.

But it is becoming apparent that their are a fair number of firearms import jobs that are generating real income for SKB Stevie, yet he/she feels exempt from the $12.00 fee. We'll also never see Dave getting his cut for gunsmithing jobs that result from the same free advertising. And Dave has made his feelings known concerning those who feel entitled to use his site for self-promotion.

But none of that matters, and I am the bad guy for pointing it out. Somehow, I will find a way to cope with that.

Of course SKB Stevie is not alone in this entitlement mentality. I'd bet Dave also does not get a cut from the guns that are sold to guys who respond to the link in Mark's free advertising tagline for Mark's Born-Again Birdguns. That certainly makes it easier to purchase expensive stock finish like Timberluxe.

I haven't forgotten that I was repeatedly criticized and accused by our Liberals of cheating Dave when I had a link for the NRA-ILA in my tagline... even though I obviously do not get any money from donations made to the NRA. Gotta love double-standards!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made so many concoctions over the last 45 years it really stinks when you put all this work in to a project then you get the news so and so has the best concoction for finishing wood it's a miracle so you try it it gums on a full stock Tennessee rifle so you strip it and start over oh boy the tapestry of sware words still floating around the universe.lee shaver did some great work for me so I tend to believe him

1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.