March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thinking about using them for turkey and deer-how do they work? Are they like security cameras? How do you get the pictures relayed back to your computer, or do you have to remove the film and then run the card or chip into your computer. Do you need 2, like with walkie-talkies, or will a single tree mounted in a traffic lane work. How weatherproof are they, and how long do the batteries usually last. what's the best way to mount them? Any brand recommendations? Best place to buy one? Thanks- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Google is your friend for all of this and more. The answers to your questions depend on many things, and answers are not simple or short.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

They've certainly changed a lot through the years. The early ones used 35mm film, which of course limited you to 36 pics per roll. So you wouldn't quickly take 36 quick pics of doe standing there 10 yards in from of the camera strapped to a tree and eating from your corn pile, you'd set them to only take a pic on 3-5 minute intervals. Night pics would use a flash. Taking a roll of of film to get it processed into pics was always exciting as you hoped a big buck had come by, but more often than not, you'd get 36 pics of does. It was nice when Walmart adopted a policy of only making you pay for pics you liked and wanted to keep---saved a lot of money as you said you didn't want all the doe pics.
Later the cameras went digital and soon had night vision. Some could take a pic every 5 or fewer seconds and could hold 5,000 pics on a memory card.
Next came the camera that could send a pic to an app that you could access on your cell phone. Of course the camera needed to be set up in a spot that had cell coverage. The app will notify you when a pic has been received, so that's pretty cool.
All of these cameras are very weather proof and the batteries have a reasonably long life, especially considering that you'll get way more pictures by putting out corn, though they are great to use by having them near a buck's scrape. How long the batteries last is largely a function of how many pics the cameras take, and how long you set the intervals between pics to be will have a big impact on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing to think about that leaving a trail cam on public ground is like leaving your rifle on a stump and expecting it to be there the next day. Some people think that hanging a trail cam on a tree is no different than leaving a beer can under your stand, just trash in the wood to be removed.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's get back to "What should he buy, and why".

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, and i thought about that. A pal told me that there are some that send a tone, similar to the Low-Jack feature on expensive cars, whenever it is moved, back to a base location computer pad, to forestall theft or vandalism. And what is a "Sim"Card and how does it work with a trail camera, pls. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

So much depends on what you're trying to do, the quality if pics you want, and if you want to run multiple cameras over an area and not just one. If you need multiple, a system that works together that will allow a single unit to handle the transmitting back to your phone will be highly cost-effective since you'll only need one cell service account.
You can buy some really base models with modest photo capabilities or you can get others that take really nice stuff. Sort of depends on if you're approaching all this with any sort of budget limitations. If you're only looking for the best stuff, there are suggestions; if you're looking for bargain basement, there are others.

There's a Cuddeback that will let you set up as many as 24 different cameras on a network. Reconyx has long been one of the superior makers and allows you to get some video as as well as photos. Spypoint is a low-priced option that works for a lot of people that don't want to tie up much money in the effort.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Game camera legalities have changed over the past year or two from total ban of the use of cellular accessible ones to partial bans during the hunting season. I think MI is okay on both counts with no bans. Gil

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by oskar
One thing to think about that leaving a trail cam on public ground is like leaving your rifle on a stump and expecting it to be there the next day. Some people think that hanging a trail cam on a tree is no different than leaving a beer can under your stand, just trash in the wood to be removed.

A trail camera that is left on my land without my permission will be about as welcome as a tree stand that was set up without permission. In other words, it probably won't be there after I find it. Of course, some of my Amish Dutch neighbors who have no respect for seasons, bag limits, or trespassing laws have made me less tolerant about these things than I once was.

I also feel it is rather lazy to make use of trail cameras, instead of personally putting time and effort in the woods to do pre-season scouting. Why not go one step further, and use camera equipped drones to find and kill your deer?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have four Bushnells on our place. All about the same version so they all program the same way. Bought from Amazon over a couple of years for about $99-$150 each I think. Three are "low glow" and one is "no glow". I can almost see the low glow at night or at least I think I can. All the animals see it or hear it because they all (deer, turkeys, fox, owls, etc) will look at it, smell it, touch it. I can't tell any difference with the no glow. All use the small SIM card. I swap them out. I use an adapter to connect to the USB port and download on my laptop. Everready lithium AA batteries last about a year. get a cheap battery checker - rare that more than one battery at a time is bad.

they are lots of fun. I've seen an otter and gopher tortoise in addition to the usual deer, fox, coyote, bobcat, squirrel, raccoon, etc etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.