March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

and here are two great videos on the subjects of wiggle and off face...

https://vimeo.com/352928443 about wiggle...

and this one about off face...

Last edited by ed good; 05/17/22 09:20 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
There's a long list of things Dewey does not approve of. And, no one alive, besides him, know what they all are.

It seemed to me that the things Dewey did not approve of were poor workmanship, poor gun designs, poor repairs, and fools.... not necessarily in that order.

I cannot recall any instance where anyone was able to prove that any of his sometimes strong opinions or observations were incorrect. When he gave advice, it was well worth listening to. It isn't often that anyone who even approached his level of skill and talent has been willing to share it with us. And he wasn't here utilizing free advertising to sell stock making classes, gun importations, or to sell firearms. I understand why he left this forum, but really wish he hadn't. Nobody here is perfect, but I can easily think of some much more deserving of criticism.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

3 members like this: John Roberts, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed

yes - Mike Rowe is my real name. I don't hide behind pseudonyms. I retired from this business several years ago. Just someone who quietly worked away in the background. I was always covered up with work without having to have any flashy advertising. Perhaps there's a reason for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mike, nice to know you...

advertising helps, but best source of new business are referrals from happy customers...

reduces the qualifying time significantly...

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One eye-opening opinion of Dewey was in regard to the mechanical measurement of wall thickness. In his opinion, current favorite devices are inaccurate because the internal arm of the device is affected by gravity deflection. He relies on an electronic device that emits some sort of signal (sonic? xray? radio? ) through the metal and the return signal somehow triggers an electronic readout. The device is more expensive than the purely mechanical devices. The device is used in industrial applications. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

small minds discuss people...

Last edited by ed good; 05/24/22 10:08 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
One eye-opening opinion of Dewey was in regard to the mechanical measurement of wall thickness. In his opinion, current favorite devices are inaccurate because the internal arm of the device is affected by gravity deflection. He relies on an electronic device that emits some sort of signal (sonic? xray? radio? ) through the metal and the return signal somehow triggers an electronic readout. The device is more expensive than the purely mechanical devices. The device is used in industrial applications. Gil

Gil, I've heard more than a couple people opine on the inherent inaccuracy of mechanical BWT gauges.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS

Much of the potential inaccuracy of mechanical barrel wall thickness gauges stems from having the unit set up horizontally. In this orientation, gravity can have the greatest effect of creating a slight deflection of the internal rod, due to lateral forces applied by both gravity and the operator. This is why many guys mount them vertically. Another source of inaccuracy comes from operator error. Not zeroing the dial or digital indicator, moving along too fast, not measuring all possible areas, can all provide false or inaccurate readings. The measuring end must be exactly perpendicular to the axis of the bore, as any deviation will give a larger than actual measurement.

There are several methods of NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) that could provide measurements of tube wall thickness. The most common used in industry is Ultrasonic NDT, and I'd guess that method might be the most affordable to a well equipped gunsmith or machine shop. There are several other methods of NDT testing of tubes that could provide wall thickness measurements including Eddy Current NDT, and radiographic X-ray gauges. I've worked on Ultrasonic NDT measuring equipment, and IMS X-Ray gauges numerous times, but don't pretend to be an expert on them. I can definitely say that X-Ray IMS gauges are not going to be found in any gunsmith shop because of the enormous cost, and the fact that they use a radioactive isotope source such as Cesium 137. Naturally, they can be dangerous to untrained personnel, and they are strictly regulated by the State and Federal Government. I always used a Geiger Counter to confirm that the shutters were closed on the Cesium 137 sources, and in particular on one occasion when a proximity switch for shutter closed position had failed on one source unit, and had to be replaced.

From what I do know about Ultrasonic NDT, it would have the same problem as mechanical units with wall measurements on double barrels in all areas between the barrels, and under the ribs. Fortunately, those areas are least likely to be externally struck thin during manufacture or refinishing. But there would be no way to measure the depth of pitting in those areas. And I would think that Ultrasonic NDT would not be at all useful for Damascus barrels due to the fact that they contain literally hundreds of inches of welds running between the iron and steel layers. So it would be very difficult or impossible to interpret the transducer feedback coming back from all of those welds within the barrel walls, at all different depths. I suppose a large pit or inclusion might still stand out from all that noise though, but that's just an educated guess.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

doc drew...what say you...

Boxlock
Boxlock

I used to use the ultrasonic thickness units at work to measure internal corrosion pit depth in oil and gas pipelines. Great tools, but their one weakness was when measuring pits with very steep walls they wouldn't measure the full depth. A shallow mesa type pit gave reliable measurements.

Last edited by NorthernBob; 12/09/22 01:09 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.