March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Packing gear for range outing tomorrow. This should provide enough information to decide on which bullet weights and loads are best for this rifle.
Then to go hog hunting with the best fit ammo.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Range Report on Beretta DR with hand loaded regulation: smile

Success! North fork 350 grain SS over VV N133 produced multiple 50 yard R&L groups of just under one inch for my son and for me! This load is a keeper!
WE will meet to analyze all the targets and reconfirm the data.
We will be back at it soon testing similar loads with Remington 405 grain JSP. We will also shoot best loads at 100 yards to try to extend our good fortune on out a ways.

One interesting aside was the accuracy and 2 inch 50 yard groups produced by Ultramax 405 grain Cowboy Action ammo. Slow, but sure! And oh so easy on the shoulder.

Last edited by crs; 06/12/21 09:35 PM. Reason: add on

Sidelock
Sidelock

CRS, you should put the loading information, including bullet weight and velocity, on a case label for the next owner.

Lovely gun.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Carl for the compliment on the gun and the suggestion on the load data. I will add the latter to the Provenance soon as the load testing is complete.
I also need a better full photo to show off the pretty wood and metal work. It has quit raining for a while, so maybe will get to the range soon.

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good day at the range!
The 405 grain loads shot great. Only 3 shots needed to put the last shot one inch high of the very center of the target.
Now to load more just like that last few and should be ready for deer, feral hogs, and anything else that a 405 grain Remington JSP at 1713 fps MV will kill.

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Those NF350 SS bullets are quite accurate and further research indicates that with enough velocity, they should be suitable for even large game such as water buff and Cape buff as well as anything smaller.
Therefore, I have had the chambers extended to 45-90 dimensions (.458 2.4 inch) and the 26 inch barrels regulated by Aaron Little so the rifle shoots two R&L into less than 1 inch at 45 yards. Further work is underway to implement Talley QD rings and adjust the express sights to be "on" the present regulation.
When all is done and tested, I will make a new post with new pix.

crs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Decided to start a new thread on 45-90 Double Rifle as it has some significant differences to 45-70 even though t still shoots 45-70 ammo. 45-90 will be in the name of new thread.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just happened to see this thread, and thought I might comment. In the 80's, I bought a Ruger No. 1 in 45/70. I rechambered the barrel to 45/120. It was interesting, but not totally useful. You might want to determine the twist used in the DR barrel. I found that any heavy bullets had to be driven far out of the range of a 45/70 capability to stabilize. In the very strong Ruger, I could approach 46weatherby velocities and they stabilized. Anything less and accuracy was so-so. Even a light 458 load was marginal. With the original 45/70 twist, the combo was basically a light bullet or express load. With the 500 gr and above, only max loads worked.

I did however experiment with some reasonable shot loads in the extral long case, and they worked quite well at skeet ranges.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I missed the picture, especially the one that shows the scope mount.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.