March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, Marc Ret, SKB, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

An unusual experience with shot concentration happened to me on a dove field some years ago. I was shooting a .410 O/U and was closing in on a limit. Here's the copied and pasted description from a thread I started 8 years ago about the event.

"I was shooting a new to me Verona 30" O/U .410 with two fixed full choke barrels. I had previously patterned the gun with 2 1/2" loads to look at the point of impact of both barrels, as it seemed to be stocked a bit high for me. The patterns at 30 yards were what I expected for full chokes, and regulation was good. So, I bought a few boxes of Remington 3" loads, 7 1/2s at 1135 fps and took it to the dove field that Saturday afternoon. I was working towards my limit of 15 pretty well when a dove came from right to left, almost a 90 degree crosser, well within my range. I swung and shot, and immediately noticed a small object in the air off to the right side of the dove, and watched as they both hit the ground. Wondering what it was, I never took my eyes off it until I reached the bird. To my amazement I was looking at the dove's head laying on the ground some 5 ft. from it's obviously lifeless decapitated body. Upon closer examination, the dove's body was not excessively shot up, nor it's head. They were just completely separated from each other. I went back to my stool, sat down and began to wonder what had just occurred. I got back up and stepped off the distance from my stand to the spot it fell, calculating a distance from gun to bird in the air of 23 yards. Understand, I clearly saw the dove's head leave it's body upon impact of the payload."

For the rest of the discussion, and "sleuthing" by many contributors, read here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377979&page=1

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do we know about shot stringing before it leaves the barrel? I'm still guessing that in the old days before shotcups, someone would have experimented with substances that might make shot a bit "stickier" to overcome the effects of gas leakage around the wadding. I'm not talking about opening crimps and dripping candle wax into the shot like us stupid kids used to do in our futile attempts to make loads that really 'reach out".

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my realm of understanding, Hal, there is no shot stringing inside the barrel. The shot stays inside the shot cup, or somewhat "tight" against the under shot wad, until some time after exiting the muzzle. Gases are still exerting pressure behind the payload, so it will remain contained in the shot cup until exiting the muzzle where the atmosphere exerts drag on it all, and the shot cup or wad begins to lag behind due to less kinetic energy and more drag. My understanding of it, from much reading of writings of those who have actually measured it, is that all shot stringing occurs after leaving the barrel, and drag from the ambient air is one of the main culprits, and is contributed to by pellet damage, due to setback and mis-shaping, when passing through the forcing cone and choke.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

It is hard to read the small print in your Davis-Warner advertisement, but I think I can decipher “proof test load”.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, unfortunately low resolution image
"The illustration of shotshell load is the exact size of a proof test load used in testing Davis gun barrels for strength. The long 3" shell is nearly filled with a special proof test powder and the extra heavy shot load is enclosed in parchment paper capsule..."

Stan: But...but...but wink

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sporting Life, May 7, 1910
“Stringing of a Charge”
The “stringing of a charge” a subject that has been tested and studied and thought over at great length by all shooters and makers of guns and ammunition, had a unique and apparently successful test recently in England. Mr. Webster Watts, an English sportsman whose shooting ability has placed him in the front rank of English gunners, made the experiments at Brooklands track, the famous auto speedway, near London. Mr. Watts set out to discover whether the charge from a cartridge “strings” when fired at a moving object – that is, whether the last shots, or the slower traveling shots, go off in a sugar-loaf pattern.
Mr. Watts used a big automobile (which ran at speeds of 30, 40, 50 and 60 miles an hour), the sides of which had a big iron target affixed thereto. At a range of 30 to 40 yards Mr. Watts fired, and no matter at what speed the car was traveling, there was not the slightest sign of stringing, in each instance the shots making practically a circle, the reason being that a shot from a gun travels at anything over 500 miles an hour, whereas a driven partridge never, or very rarely, exceeds 40 miles an hour.

American Rifleman, November 1979
“The Effect of a Shot String” by Ed Lowry
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/the-effect-of-a-shot-string-by-ed-lowry.58089/

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure little effect on shot speed. But I see that full choke strings out the shot column about five times its diameter at the muzzle when compared to cylinder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Capt. Charles Askins and E.M. Sweeley “Ballistics of the Shotgun” series in Outdoor Life

March 1922 “Shot Concentrators”
https://archive.org/details/sim_outdoor-life_1922-03_49_3/page/168/mode/2up

April 1923 “Experiments With Concentrators”
https://archive.org/details/sim_outdoor-life_1923-04_51_4/page/280/mode/2up

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a little bummed that the Journal shut down. I was working on a few articles for it, especially focused around really good photography of stuff.

One was to be on some of these Eley Wire Cartridges but it will just become an article on my website instead now sometime in the future.

Here was the first page!

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
1 member likes this: Parabola
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.