March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, Stanton Hillis, SKB, 2 invisible), 287 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

well drew,

-tensile strength is generally unknown...

-if there is deep pitting, especially if in front of chambers, dont shoot it...

-low pressure loads only, should be used in pre ww2 guns...

-and to be really safe, dont shoot modern smokeless loads in any gun with twist steel barrels...

there seems to be a reluctance of those here to share their general guidelines when evaluating barrel safety...

thank you for the data from others, regarding barrel wall thicknesses, that you shared with us here...

but, without guidelines, what value are measurements?

my guidelines are 90/30...

what are your guidelines when evaluating the safety of shotgun barrels? anyone?

Last edited by ed good; 06/24/22 08:54 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edd,the information is out there on the interwebb but you have to do some work if you are unsure about a guns safety don't sell it.if you don't have the ability to evaluate the condition of a gun don't buy or sell.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Edd,the information is out there on the interwebb but you have to do some work if you are unsure about a guns safety don't sell it.if you don't have the ability to evaluate the condition of a gun don't buy or sell.

As I've said before, even recently, working to find out the answers for himself is against Ed's religion, or lack of work ethic, whichever applies. This has been his modus operandi for as long as he has been a participant. He cannot be coached, or even embarrassed, into changing his "style". I actually believe he gets some weird sort of enjoyment from being chastised.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan,an udders... have you posted your barrel safety guidelines some wheres on the net? if so, pls provide link for us all to see..otherwise, pls esplain how we can git in yo head an find the info you refuse to reveal here...

Last edited by ed good; 06/25/22 12:34 PM.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
stan....pls esplain how we can git in yo head an find the info you refuse to reveal here...

I rest my case. Totally unwilling to do ANYTHING for yerself.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, one of the purposes of this place is to SHARE information and opinion...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post!

I have a single shot gun that has a good barrel wall thickness: between 1.5 and 2 mm. It was made before 1888 (Wiggan&Elliott closed), and a great gunsmith told me that it can endure up 1.300kg/cm².

The barrel rings like a bell.

What do you think?

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hermano campero. I have a bit of 'campero' PTSD wink Pollo Campero is sorta the Kentucky Fried Chicken of Guatemala, and on one of our mission trips 2 of the team members went with brother Gideons to the next town and had lunch at Campero. They returned with Norovirus and the whole team got sick! The inside bathroom was continually occupied and folks were running to the outhouse and the family dogs thought it was great fun to chase and watch the Gringos smile

The answer to your question illustrates why the answer is rarely simple.

The best answer is "To what service and proof pressures was the barrel proved?"
1300 kg/cm² is about 18,500 psi
CIP 12g “High performance/Superior Proof” is 1320 BAR = 19,145 psi for a Maximum Average (Service) Pressure 1050 BAR = 15,229 psi
Contrary to the mythology, U.S. makers of vintage doubles DID prove their guns (using pattern welded and fluid steel tubes that had been proved in Belgium) at 16,000 - 18,000 psi

If your gunsmith calculated that pressure based on a bursting or hoop stress formula, which don't work well for unobstructed shotgun barrels, he needed to know the steel tensile strength.
Is the barrel pattern welded or fluid steel? Siemens, Cockerill or Krupp?

1.5 - 2 mm = about .06 - .079"
I assume that is the minimum wall thickness and certainly not the end-of-chamber, which we also need to know (and the 9" from the breech would be helpful also)

The gun is a 12g? What does the bore measure and is there evidence of honing or other barrel modification?

Bell ringing MAY indicate the rib is tight, but little else.

1 member likes this: campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your reply!

I call myself a campero because I love the countryside, hunting and nature 😅😅 no chicken 😅😅.

I wrote on this forum about this gun. It is a 28 ga Wiggan & Elliott. It has a 28 ga chamber but a 30" 24 bore barrel: overvored! You can see pictures if you look for.

Don't know what steel, but it rings like a bell.

I test fired my Wiggan and my B525. It was amazing. Faster shooting with the old single barrel than with the new over-and-under, but this is other post (sorry).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best regards!

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
1 member likes this: Drew Hause
Sidelock
Sidelock

buenos dios, senior campero...

any opinions you obtain here about your guns will not be as valueable as that of your gunsmith, who has actually seen your guns and has given you his expert opinion...

wishing you safe shooting...

Last edited by ed good; 06/26/22 11:59 AM.

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.