April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Lloyd3, Jeremy Pearce, gunmaker, rtw, 1 invisible), 898 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My opinion is is should be a safe thickness for the ammo I am using .like Keith said there could be inclusions, one never knows

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
William: why is it so hard for you to admit that you don't have a wall thickness gauge, and therefore nothing to contribute to these threads?
Your guns, and your choice not to know the MWTs.

ed is posting simply for his entertainment and to call attention to himself, as he once did with the endless torch threads. If we stop playing, maybe he'll stop?

Preacher, I not only have a wall thickness gauge, but I also have a Stan Baker barrel bore diameter gauge, and a couple sets of plug gauges too. I even have an endoscope to visually inspect my bores. I also built a tool that permits me to probe and measure the depth of bore pits with reasonable accuracy. I am pretty well equipped for evaluating and measuring my gun barrels. The plug gauges do double duty. They can be used to accurately check internal diameters of bores and chambers, and they can also be used in the process of barrel dent removal. I have other expanding tools and mandrels which I have made to use for dent removal as well. Have you ever raised barrel dents? I didn't think so.

Actually, I'm kind of a tool junkie. I'm quite sure I have many more tools for servicing and repairing guns than you will ever own. Show us your lathe Preacher. I have three, not including my wood lathe which is of no use for gun work. I have quite a bit of tooling for my lathes, and I have numerous micrometers, digital and vernier calipers, and dial indicators to use them accurately.

From reading your posts over the years, it is apparent that you do virtually no gun work, other than your barrel wall thickness measurements. And what good is that measuring equipment to you when you actually argued here, for three whole days, that lengthening the chambers of vintage doubles will actually increase the wall thickness at the end of the re-cut chambers??? Haha! Even ed wouldn't make such a statement. Tools in the wrong hands can do more harm than good.

You do no rust bluing. You do no stock repair or refinishing. You don't own any welding equipment, and have probably never soldered or brazed anything. You certainly have never made or tempered a spring. Your only knowledge of metallurgy comes from paying someone in a testing lab, or from Google searches.

You are very good at Google searches... you are very good at copying-and-pasting the work of others. You are good at collecting old firearms advertising and pictures too. That may make you an expert in the eyes of some, but you aren't fooling me. Stick to what you are good at, and stop trying to discredit me. And finally, tell us why you post conflicting data concerning what others consider minimum barrel wall thickness measurements, yet you continue to shoot a honed out old Damascus L.C. Smith double that has. 016" wall thickness only 14" from the breech.

What is more irresponsible.... being one of the guys who shoot their guns without knowing barrel MWT, or knowing that you have exceedingly thin barrels, and continuing to shoot them anyway? Do you drive on bald tires too?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mc, makes sense, of course...

but the question remains, how do you translate that goal into reality?

for example, take your average 12 ga field load, with 1 1/8 oz of shot goin out of a fluid steel barrel at around 1200 fps...

what barrel wall thicknesses do you feel comfortable with?

i once had a 12 ga churchill with sleeved barrels...the barrel wall thicknesses in front of the chambers were only .060...i rejected the gun...was i being too conservative?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The reality is you are lazy or lonely all your questions can be answered by a little research but you chose to beat a dead horse do some work and return with your conclusion

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well mc, i was hoping you would provide us with your opinions...guess not...

anyone?

Last edited by ed good; 07/09/22 11:46 AM.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My opinion is you are lazy and lonely and you flogg clapped out guns to unsuspecting people and you want people to pronounce your guns sound based on information here.

1 member likes this: SKB
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mc, your post above is weird...the unhappiness and anger that you display on this fine forum must torment you terribly...there is medication that may help you cope with yout misery...go see a doctor...

Last edited by ed good; 07/10/22 12:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.