March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As the Reilly history continues to be edited, I'm leaning for an on-line publication, perhaps without a publishing house which means the 1000+ photos I've collected need to be vetted for copyright. Some of these photos are used in collages illustrating such things as changes in Reilly engraving or Damascus barrel patterns, some in dating the Reilly labels. And there are the UK newspaper ads and articles from the on-line UK archives.

I've written to Holts, Amoskeog, Rhode Island Auction asking whether their auction photos can be used in a book without permission or perhaps with blanket permission...if not I'll forward the specific sales brochure/item references to them which I've kept. But there are almost 40 auction house involved in this research, some of which do not respond to queries; some of which are no longer in business. Some of these are foreign gun-sales auction in Turkey, Sweden, German, Denmark, India, France, Italy, etc. This will take a lot of time. Some are from on-line gun sales sites such as Guns International, Gun Broker, Gun Trader, Gun Star, etc....and more often than not these on-line reference no longer are valid on those sites.

Do any of you have any experience in personally running down on-line photo copyrights? If I had a publisher, they would do this, and this might be a more appealing option. A couple of very prominent gun writers have made suggestions and are looking the text over. Many thanks for any advice.

Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 08/02/22 10:53 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's that saying...

"It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission" ?

Something like that. Anyway who the hell would care?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene, I wish your book could be a paper publication, even in magazine form rather than a hardback book. I do know of an European book that has several of my pictures lifted from the internet. I don’t care, but there may be someone out there that might in this situation. Steve Helsley has co-published several books, so he might give advise. Good luck with it. Daryl

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are right Daryl. I do want a paper edition. Donald Dallas said I might sell 500 copies but it would be worth it. He also suggested Quiller publishing in UK but said they are expensive. I've written to Quiller. Still investigating options in the USA. Images in color are expense to produce. Since this will be a reference book, it will need at least 100 images to illustrate the guns and the period they were made in.

Vic Venters said all books should be invested with a good editor, but an editor who understands guns is not found on every street corner. He also said to have a professional layout the book. I have a contact, who laid some articles I wrote for the Special Forces Association magazine "The Sentinel," and she may be able to do this.

To begin to do homework just in case, I've written to Holt's, Amoskeog, and Rhode Island Auctions to ask if their images are copyrighted and if so could they give me blanket approval to use images in their on-line sales catalogs. No responses yet. If they don't get back, at least I made the effort.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, as expected, it is complicated Gene. The auction site is not the "owner" of the images unless the site produced the image. In the early days of PictureTrail I was given permission by Greg Martin Auctions to use a bunch of Baker images that their photographer produced.
On a public use auction site like Gun Broker, the image is the property of whoever originally posted the image, not Gun Broker. Just as images posted here are not the property of DoubleGunBBS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene,

You may want to talk with Daniel Côte to see if he is interested in editing and publishing the book.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

tony treadwell's fine book "vintage english shotguns, etc." was published by lulu...

https://www.lulu.com/shop/tony-trea...duct-1ggvkn8v.html?page=1&pageSize=4

keep it simple and keep it safe...
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting idea Ken. Three years ago I offered the Reilly article to "Double Gun Journal." Daniel said at the time that he'd let Diggory publish it. Perhaps he'd be willing to take a look with retirement from magazine publishing. He certainly has the skills, gun knowledge and layout abilities. I'll write him an email again. The text is being re-edited for the 50th time right now and there is a prominent gun writer going over it again to give a sanity check.

Ed, I did not know about Lulu. My son did. If I can get it edited and laid out by a professional this is very much an option. It'll mean a lot of work to verify that I can use the photos and articles to be used with the book.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/03/22 08:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a shame when a labor of love meets a lawyer.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon, not sure this was so much a labor of love, but a labor of sanity (being in the middle of sand for a lot of the time) and a truly intellectual endeavor that became just plain interesting.

For instance, reading 1862 advertisements for Reilly in the London press, I came across accounts of the battle of the Monitor and Virginia...and predictions on the future of naval warfare. The London press at least seemed to instantly realize the game had changed.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/04/22 11:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.