March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, LRF, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mc: rigid british proof rules are not enforced here...

for example, safely opening chambers is forboden in the uk without reproofing...whereas, reproofing is optional here...and is rarely done...

we have been ignoring british proof rules for a couple of hundred years now, without diasterous consequences...

from a practical standpoint, whether a gun is in british proof or not is of little consequence here...

unless of course, one chooses to make it so, for reasons other than shooter safety...

Last edited by ed good; 09/21/22 09:50 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

an stan, ah jes cant be bothered wid you an yo negative sniping...

Last edited by ed good; 09/22/22 11:09 AM.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's of great consequence to someone wanting a original in proof gun whether uk Spanish Belgian French you must be trying to hawk out of proof guns and looking for a pass from the academy .

1 member likes this: graybeardtmm3
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The marketplace enforces the rules out of proof guns go begging

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the mid-70's, I bought a between the wars Sauer 16ga as a graduation present to myself when I completed my MA. It had short chambers. I had them lengthened, after which I fired hundreds of high brass pheasant loads through that gun. Back then, a lot of gunsmiths did it regularly. But back then, we didn't have very many gunsmiths--nor gun dealers--who specialized in classic doubles. Thanks to places like this, and to Double Gun Journal, pretty much anyone who has more than a passing interest in a classic sxs knows better now.

1 member likes this: ithaca1
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

L., your post above is interesting and memory invoking...

alow me to remise and pontificate a bit...

-back in the mid-70's...while you were completing your MA, ?...i was workin in the suberbs of nyc, at a secure job, in order to provide for my family...

-at that time I was in my pump gun stage, specifically a 20 ga ithaca, with shortened barrel, don ja no...wonderful grouse gon hit was...prior to that, i had dallied with a 16 stevens, as that was awl i could afford at the time...eventually, i had the chokes cut off it, and then had rifle sites installed on the rib, making it into a slug gon for local deer hunting...that did not work out so well...

-as to your sauer, what wonderful gons they are...have had a few, with nary a problem nor complaint...surprised that after so many rounds of high base ammo, the stock did not crack...perhaps the chamber opening reduced the felt recoil, which helped protect the wood...

-and i am so happy that you and others have learned to not fire alotta high brass loads in old light weight guns...

as for chamber opening in general, the world loves to fill a vacuum...soon, 2 1/2" low base loads will return to us, eliminating the desire to alter chambers...eagerly awaiting that event...

Last edited by ed good; 09/22/22 11:04 AM.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.