March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last minute shoot this afternoon. I received a text at 12 noon that I was invited, and to be there at 2:30 pm. Okay. I arrived late, everyone else was on the field and already shooting, but I chose a spot in a corner, by a hay bale. Tough choice. Bad location until about 5:00 pm, when the birds started moving my way. I did the best I could with the DHE Parker 32" 20 ga. and RST no. 8 Lites. Ended the day shooting down a limit.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Sweet Caroline ........... good times never felt so good.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
7 members like this: liverwort, John Roberts, Tim Cartmell, Mills, Parabola, MattH
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, today was day two of our opener for waterfowl. It sucked!!! Hunting wise that it. It was one of those bluebird days. Not a cloud in the sky, and nothing flying! Even at the break of day. We saw few birds and no one else shooting. I was able to shot a spoonbill and my son Jim dropped a Pintail (which was lost in the bulrushes). The only bright spot was being out with my son!

Here's the days bag

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
2 members like this: liverwort, Parabola
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Jim and I switched gears today from duck hunting to do a little grouse hunting. It was a good day. Jim was the hot gun and was able to limit in about 1/2 hour. He got a nice double, then a single. I had to work a bit harder, took me 2 hours to limit. All singles. It was Addie's turn to hunt and she did very well. Excellent points and nice retrieves. Great day with my son.....I'm blessed!

I used my 16ga Garbi 100

Jim used his AyA 20ga Matador III

And of course.....Addie!

Monday and Tuesday are duck hunting days.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
2 members like this: liverwort, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a huge buck but 165lbs live weight which is good for us, especially for a younger buck. Honestly compels me to admit that I was aiming for a heart shot but pulled it a little...luckily pulled it up into the base of the neck. He bang-flopped and didn't move much after that. I'll take a quick, clean shot any day but made a mental note to "squeeze instead of snap". I'm too old to make such rookie mistakes.

I figure this buck is 2½ years old. I try to focus on 3½ or better but we were on the eve of a hurricane and some of our best woods get flooded easily. I wanted to take a meat deer while I could. I've got twenty five to thirty 1½ and 2½ year old 8-points on camera in less than 900 acres. We can't let them all live to 5½...this might sound like an attempt at an excuse, explanation or justification, maybe it is, but it is certainly not an apology. I love and have a lot of fun deer hunting with my 84 year old dad.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

4 members like this: liverwort, Parabola, John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Few people want to understand that creating conditions for large, prime bucks include culling bucks which many would be happy as their top tier buck. That should be excellent eating. On my land deer hunters have been educated that herd number reduction is as much a ket to bigger bucks as food or cover. In fact if a group fails to harvest a quota of deer each year they lose their lease. My farmers suffer from too much crop destruction to make antler fever the rule. One group has it figured out where three guys get to go after big bucks only but the rest of the group must harvest both smaller bucks and does to keep the herd numbers down and healthy.

4 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis, steve voss, Rubberhead
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Billy's grandson (his twin holding tine) shot his first buck last month in Hampton Co., SC. 188 lbs. One would think that based on the crowd, the weapon was crew served. It wasn't. It was his granddad's Ruger No. 1 .270. Billy and grandsons were in a large tripod stand and the buck was at 65 yards. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

7 members like this: ithaca1, liverwort, Stanton Hillis, Parabola, Mills, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

A brace of Columbian Sharptails. Taken with an old 16 bore Darne Halifax. Normally this gun is my go-to Chukar gun, but sometimes it finds its way into sharptail country.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

6 members like this: old colonel, liverwort, steve voss, Ted Schefelbein, Parabola, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another morning in the grass. Scenting conditions the last few days have been awful. Very low humidity, warm, and zero wind. Makes it extremely tough, but somehow the dogs manage. Lots of stop to flushes when conditions are like this, but the dogs somehow find little spots in the draws and valleys where the air currents flow and scenting is a little better than on the flats. Well trained dogs that stop to flush are essential in prairie grouse country where scent conditions are horrible. We don’t consider a stop to flush a bump. Scenting is just too tough sometimes.
The brace today was shot over staunch points, but the shots weren’t close at all. First bird flushed 40 yards in front of the dog, I was 5 yards behind the dog when it took flight. The second bird, pretty much the same thing but it took a hard left in flight and presented a moderate crossing shot. Tight chokes are a good thing sometimes. Second bird flew 100+ yards, fluttered and went straight up in the air and fell. Easily marked and Jack my setter found him with no issues.

Jack on point a few hundred yards out….

Ranger the French Britt on a productive point, he’s so little he’s hard to find in knee or calf high grass…

Brace of sharptails with the 1896 Chas. Lancaster body action 12 bore that brought em’ down.

8 members like this: old colonel, liverwort, Imperdix, steve voss, Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice guns and nicely photographed.

Is the Lancaster built with the Beesley spring open action recently featured online in Vintage Gun Journal?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Nice guns and nicely photographed.

Is the Lancaster built with the Beesley spring open action recently featured online in Vintage Gun Journal?

Thank you. And yes, the Chas. Lancaster is a Beesley spring opener.
Beesley patent 425 of 1884. The gun also has Perkes patent ejectors (that currently work, thank God). (Perkes' ejectors patent no. 10084 of 1888).

1 member likes this: Parabola
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.