March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brevex #13 joins the family - another Fred Wells Custom 35-378 Wby - aka 350 Wells Express

Hello All,

Well, would you believe I found another Brevex Mauser. This makes "Lucky 13" in my Brevex Collection.

This rifle is my first Big Bore rifle in 35 caliber. Just like the 411 Wells Express I posted here last month, this one came from the same original owner that was an employee of Fred Wells at the time this rifle was made. He did the stock work himself while he was employed by Fred Wells. Like the 411, this rifle was also intended to go to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo, but the political conflicts in Rhodesia at the time canceled his hunt. This rifle was custom built for him / by him, and the pair were the only two Big Game rifles that he owned. The stock wood for this rifle was special ordered "Honey" color AA Fancy California Claro Black Walnut.

He ordered a custom set of RCBS dies in 35-378 Wby. (back then they cost only $21 ... imagine that ... the gold old days)
[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

The caliber stamped on the rifle is 35-378 WBY. This is an early wildcat marking, whereas later rifles made by Fred Wells in this caliber were stamped "350 Wells Express".

Here are the specs:

Make = Fred Wells Custom
Action = Brevex Magnum Mauser w/ Winchester Style Swing Safety
Caliber = 35-378 WBY aka 350 Wells Exp
Weight = 11-1/4 lbs (loaded)
Barrel = 25" A&M Barrel w/ forward recoil lug and barrel mounted Sling swivel (no sights)
LOP = 14-1/2"
Stock = Custom "uncheckered" California Claro Black Walnut w/ reinforced side panels
Stock = Rosewood Forend Tip w/ checkered metal grip cap
Scope = 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 in Wells Custom Mounts
Trigger = Canjar M3 Trigger
Recoil Pad = Pachmayr Solid w/ Black Spacer

The rifle came with dies, and brass, and bullets. Dies are RCBS labeled 35-378 WBY.

Like my other Fred Wells Brevex rifle from this owner, the craftsmanship is superb. Excellent wood to metal fit and all the screws are indexed in-line. The the screw in the checkered metal grip cap is also indexed in-line, and is lightly engraved.

as always, your comments are most welcome.

(a range report will follow)

Here are the "Lucky 13" family ....

1 member likes this: Parabola
rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweet!

Kudos

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is not much reloading data available for the 35-378 or the 350 Wells Express. My first test load with a 250g Hornady clocked the chronograph at an average of 2710 fps with ease, with absolutely no signs of pressure. I expect to reach 3300 to 3400 fps by the time I finish testing.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is grouping that well and pushing 250 gr. at 2,710 why not be happy with that?

Your quarry will likely be 100% dead at that speed.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.