April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Lloyd3, Jeremy Pearce, gunmaker, rtw, 1 invisible), 898 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

we have lift off.

Ordered a 4d reamer and re-cut the chamber, you guys were right it was a slight diameter/taper difference. Cut and checked the chamber with two live cartridges. Cut, extract, clean, drop round in... I didnt have to go full depth with the reamer. I stopped with 1/8" or so of the rim cutting portion behind the barrel face. I did it by hand and held the barrel in a bench vise

I definately recommend you to use a lot of cutting fluid and clear chip every 2 full rotations. Test fired two shots, measured the brass, no deformation, bulges ect. They measure very close to new brass. However it does seem the gun is off face as the primers definately show signs of flow. I'll post pics of those later

1 member likes this: 9372
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
I apologize for not making it clear that I have a reamer for the "N" version of 9.3x72R. It threw me off when you said you had ordered Cerrosafe. Since you live within driving range, I could have saved you time and the cost of a reamer.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, no harm no foul. I was worried that i'd screw something up and liquify the solder holding on the barrel lug.

This is what the primers looked like. I talked with our gunsmith at work and he said it might be the jacketed bullets causing a higher pressure, given it was proofed for black powder.

The gun is also off face. It will readily close on a .003" shim. I assume ideal is .001" to .0005"?

Last edited by journeymen; 09/26/22 06:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
The 193gr normal bullet for the 9.3x72R doesn't raise the pressure significantly because it was especially made for use in older rifles (basically has a thin jacket that is undersized except for a short "driving band"). This bullet is not common in the US and there is no way to know what bullet the rifle was fired with, in the past. Bullets intended for the more powerful 9.3s(such as 9.3x62 or 74R) could very well raise the pressure. I believe current ammo is loaded to about 18,000 C.U.P., older ammo may have been loaded to 12,000 but I don't know for sure. I do have a couple boxes of ammo marked " Schwach Ladung"(weak load). I don't know the pressure nor velocity (too rare to shoot over the chronograph), but it does have the jacketed bullet. You can have a lot of fun shooting it with cast bullets from Lyman mold #355408(origional or shortened to about 200 gr) or 358315(200gr) or 358318(250gr) or RCBS 200-35(200 gr) which ever stabilizes in your rifle at appropriate velocity for a black powder proofed rifle. The single locking lug underlever rifles such as this one were not intended for high pressures.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm out of my depth on this one. I know the lockup is out. I dont know what surfaces i should add material to or if thats the correct course of action to bring it back to face. The small red circle is around what i think is a clearance cut on the barrel lug

Last edited by journeymen; 10/13/22 11:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
I don't think the "problem" is as devastating as you seem to think it is. I would be hesitant to do any welding to "correct" it. If it were mine and I was concerned about it, I would concentrate on the wear of the hinge "pin" and/or the underlever "pin". You could check to see if this would help matters by making up simple straight pins a couple "thousandths" larger, before making up new screws and or reaming the holes "round". You should be able to use it the rest of your life with 12,000 psi loads normally and 18,000 psi loads only for hunting.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Journeyman;

See PM I just sent you.

Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Journeymen, what does the breech face look like? Hard to tell from the pics but looks more like just a corroded surface abound the firing pin hole that lets the primer center enter the "potholes" and then get smoothed off when the action is opened. If so, no biggie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another thing, what is the rim thickness on those S&Bs?

1 member likes this: 9372
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.