March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, Marc Ret, SKB, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
PALUNC #619652 09/22/22 01:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering all the present challenges we all seem to be facing as a free people, the loss or gain on a few minor prized-possessions strikes me as being fairly trivial in the scheme of things. That said, I am still gnawing on buying yet another (an even less-practical one w/hammers) but... will likely wait now to see how the elections here go in November.

PALUNC #619661 09/22/22 03:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Life is short.
Buy what you want, shoot it, enjoy it, and live.The end comes soon enough.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Out there doing it best I can.
3 members like this: redoak, susjwp, Parabola
PALUNC #619663 09/22/22 04:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed you forget Browning and Parker. But buying names are a poor investment. And condition is everything. Plus too many upgrades and refinished guns have flooded the market with fake rare guns. I bought an Upgraded 42 Pigeon Grade to match my real Pigeon grade. I know who did the upgrade. It was bought for money not as large as a real gun would command but well above a standard gun. I had the word upgrade engraved on the gun under the pigeon so there could be no attempt at subterfuge down the road. I gave it to my middle son and he shoots skeet with it. It is a nice looking gun but not a real pigeon grade 42 worth several thousand dollars.

Last edited by KY Jon; 09/22/22 06:00 PM.
FelixD #619664 09/22/22 04:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by FelixD
I acquired my few double guns because they intrigued me. It was, and still is, a matter of how they move, their balance, their design, and their quality. It was also a fascination with the period and the place they came from. They connected with some innermost elements of my existence. Reselling them has never part of the ownership process. For me these things have far greater value than just money. I’ve never considered them an investment.
I agree 100% with what Felix says here. I bought all of mine either because they looked good or handled well and also I bought them to shoot. I have never considered my "collection" an investment. And I do have a few nice pieces, to me at least. Merkle, BSS sidelock are my two favorites. Also a Winchester 23 in 20 that I like and shoot well. Along with a BSS boxlock in 20. All of them are shooters!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
1 member likes this: susjwp
PALUNC #619830 09/27/22 06:15 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The market for some Parkers, Fox, Lefever and Smith seems strong based on recent auction results, especially small bores. Sterlingworths, Smith Field, Parker Trojans and Lefever H's have moved down in market price mostly due to the availability caused by the internet in recent years. The lower graded guns like the Fox A, Parker VH, GH, PH, Smith Ideal, Gr2, Gr3 and Lefever F and G market prices are unchanged for many years unless in very high condition. Restored examples also get very little interest and the market seems slow. High condition to mint original examples still generate much interest and prices keep pace or exceed inflation.

PALUNC #619832 09/27/22 07:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, the realization that you now have is a result of a mistake in the beginning. Thinking of them as investments, when purchasing, was wrong thinking, IMHO. They should have been bought for the same reason you would buy a book, or a boat ......... to enjoy. Period. What's left of them after that enjoyment has passed is salvage value. If you want to worry over lost investment value put a pencil to your next new automobile or truck purchase. As Nitrah said, there are a lot more things to wring your hands over than lost $$$ in a gun.

Fine English guns have been overpriced for as long as I have been interested in S X Ss. There's just no way possible to get $80K+ more enjoyment out of hunting with a Purdey, Boss or Woodward than I can out of my nice Parker, Fox and LC Smith guns.

The decline in the English gun market doesn't bother me one whit. It only gives me increased opportunity to own a very nice one at a much more reasonable cost.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
PALUNC #619948 09/29/22 09:25 PM
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, how does one go about purchasing one these English “bargains” today? There are very few where I live so it’s difficult to lay hands on them.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
PALUNC #619955 09/30/22 04:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

One suggestion would be to contact Steve Bertram (SKB), here on this forum, and talk with him about what you want. Steve puts nice English guns up for sale from time to time, as he imports them from England. He has two on the For Sale forum now, for example. He frequents the English auction sites and bids on guns. With the knowledge of what you desire in a gun he can look for what you want specifically.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
PALUNC #619956 09/30/22 05:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

English guns are certainly going for prices much lower than they were. Top names and those of high quality should always keep their value but since the talk of the ban on lead shot here those guns of lower quality or with some with damascus barrels have taken a knock in price. A plain boxlock non-ejector with no issues will go for next to nothing. Talking to one Gun Dealer the other day he told me he doesn't take in second hand guns unless being sold on commission following a family death. Another Dealer I know has what he calls his scrap pile and showed me a Claborough sidelock non-ejector; fairly well used and sleeved by Westley Richards on the pile because it has a broken firing pin and the cost of repair would outway the £50 or so he could get for it. To top that I was given a rather nice Thomas Bland hammer gun, nitro proofed with damascus barrels, because he said he couldn't sell it even though it has no issues. I am buying guns now because I like them and adding to my collection and not bothering about the investment problem. Best investments here seem to be those classed as antiques which require no certification and muzzle loaders. With the pound to dollar situation as it is at present now is the time to go looking for bargains on this side of the pond rather than investments and enjoy using a decent gun at an affordable price. I'm having fun looking for them! Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.