April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (GeorgeGibbs505, bigblock), 1,290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[IMG]
the inletting only looks bad because of the shadows...it's as perfect as one might expect from Steyr

This last photo also has a 7x57 that I carved up 20 yrs ago because I couldn't afford a real Steyr...I plan to repeat the exercise

Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice Robert,thanks for posting it.They are such neat guns.
love that case too,whats the "A" from ?

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's not the first or last initial of the previous owner...so your guess is as good as mine...but I did find out from talking to his son, that he purchased the Purdey in Germany, and not India as I was wondering...the son says he has the receipt somewhere.
Does you 1903 look like this? Is there any visual differences?
I also have a Steyr Mannlicher half stock rifle that's pre Schoenour meaning no rotary magazine...it looks just like a Mannlicher Haenel, but not by Haenel...the magazine looks half way between a Krag and a Mauser 98 magazine

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 10/20/07 02:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine does look similar the stock has an adjustable cheekpiece,but the lines are the same.I sent you some pictures and the email of the man who was able to give me info from a M/S club.Here is a couple of my 1903,I have a 1908 shooter full stock that I do hunt with,also had a real early 1903 that still had the 3 piece rod in the stock but traded that one off.

Thats interesting about the pre rotary mag Steyr,never saw one.What caliber is it?
If the former owner purchased the Purdey in Germany,perhaps he bought the M/S there as well and that was its former,former owners initial,who knows.That case is very nice and could tell a few stories no doubt.
best,
Dave K

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,
This is what the magazines looked like before Schoenauer came along with his rotary clip patent.

What looks like two arms attached to the floorplate are actually a follower spring and the edge view of the follower...the motion is compounded by travel much like the Krag follower.

the gun is in 7x57 but I had to rebarrel it and it's not blued yet...also somewhere along the way, some one removed the butter knife bolt handle, ...I'll be putting it back

Great M/S you have there...it's really hard to come by an engraved one...I think there is info on those adjustable cheekpieces in the August Stukenback catalog...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting gun Dave....I can only imagine what the "A" on Roberts case stands for

Sidelock
Sidelock

Were the Mannlicher Haenel rifles built entirely by Steyr and just retailed by Haenel or did Haenal build them on Steyr provided parts? I have 2 of them, both in 9x57Mauser. One with the mag latch as on your rifle, the other with the magazine latch inside the trigger guard. #1 has a standard German sporter type bolt handle, the other a flat M/S type. I've seen a few for sale here and there, sometimes refered to as 88's, which they are not, one refered to as an 88/98 (that's almost a little closer!). Some info in the ALFA 1911 catalog reprint on the different grades and options but no history of course. The back end of the bolt with it's 98 style shroud and gas ring is interesting on these rifles as is the magazine assembly with it's sissors action spring.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One might wonder if there is a 'B' case w/a larger or dif calibre rifle in it .. somewhere.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter,
I thought Mannlicher not only built these guns, but Haenel also built sporters based on these actions...just like Haenel sold 88 commission based sporters and later 98 Mauser sporters...I like your analogy of "sissors action spring" ...I couldn't find the words to describe it accurately...

are either of your rifles full stocked? mine is not

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was "Trio" of Purdeys Built in 1871 for His Highness The Maharaja Prince Duleep Singh, Father of Prince Duleep Singh(seen sitting on a Shooting-Stick in the"BIG SHOTS")...One wonder's how far that'Bottom'overlapped that little seat??.....No 3 of the Trio in all Original condition was found way up into Canada about 4 yrs ago.I tidied it up for the Owner, Shot about 200 rounds of "Black Reloads" through it. It is pictured in the Historical Section at http://www.gun-vault.com Joe @ matched pairs had listed the No1 Gun, several years ago, but it takes too many "Brit Pounds" to 'Jog' his memory! I also found Purdey No 11208, No 2 of a ;Trio" built for the Prince of Wales in 1885, that has been put back to a 'Trio' once again, and was sold "Well" at Auction in London. There are many Photos of POW using all Three of the guns in the field, 2 Loaders of course! I have a "JP" with a '5' on the top rib...c 1877.Dont see many of those 'Orders' these days!!!cc

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.