March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Sandlapper), 380 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My hunting season will be cut short this fall (28 Nov) and my best buddy in this is 13 yrs, 2 months, and 15 days old, so we need to make the most of what will be our short season. Teal season was a bust, to say the least. Drought is to blame there, I suspect, and weather hasn't helped. So, we packed up and joined a friend and his two dogs that we hunt with every year. We managed just a few sharptails, but they were my first.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If drought is bad in Iowa, it is horrendous in Nebraska. These Hackberries were wilted, even early in the morning. No wonder we found so few birds.

But the Sandhills are beautiful with huge horizons.

And some interesting wildlife. For some reason, Gus found this more interesting than all the other turtles he has seen.

Sharpies are better eating than I expected when grilled just right.

Very little hunting pressure where we were, but unusually few birds too. Hard to say whether the heat or the few birds were responsible for that.

Gus and I will miss our late winter hunts in Nebraska this year - well 2023 actually, but so it goes. With luck, I'll be back in the game for turkey season and spring rifle matches.

Gus and I had about 9 days at home before packing up and rolling out again. This time North. It was much cooler, almost perfect temperatures. But we got some light rain - nonstop for 1.5 days. That chased the ruffs up into the trees so that we didn't find quite as many as I expected, but we got into them nonetheless. Vegetation is incredibly thick as Lloyd mentioned. Many birds were heard but not seen. Still a great time, but I need another frame to continue this post, so it will have to wait on Dave.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

2 members like this: Birdog, Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is warm, though wet so we camped, and will camp again next week, though it will be another 10 degrees cooler, but drier.

It is a bit of an understatement to say the cover is thick. Even with orange, it is hard to see a hunting partner.

But the colors are coming and with them, leaf drop should be pretty quick

Gus was 13 yr, 2 mo, and 22 days for this picture, but still holding his own. None of my dogs have been this strong at his age. He is a remarkable golden.

Last edited by BrentD; 09/30/22 07:28 PM.

_________

5 members like this: FallCreekFan, Parabola, dukxdog, Birdog, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Brent and Gus for sharing your hunts with us. Savor every minute!

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a great time and wonderful to see Gus out there still doing it.

I

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures Brent.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I'm headed out next week, your photos are a great inspiration!
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl, I'm headed back out again on Thursday. They have had several good frosts now, so I hope a lot of leaves are down.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

wonderful photography...kudos to you an gus...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks awesome. What state did you hunt the sharptails? Oh and the choice of guns?

Good luck the rest of the hunts!

Last edited by battle; 09/30/22 11:34 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by battle
Looks awesome. What state did you hunt the sharptails? Oh and the choice of guns?

Good luck the rest of the hunts!

The sharptails were in Nebraska. My Greener and the Cashmore were the guns of choice depending on the wind. The sharpies were really hard to get close to, so the tighter chokes of the Greener were helpful.

For ruffs, I carried the Cashmore and kept the Osborne as back up. I need to figure out how to get a bit more drop on the Osborne, but I can make it work.

_________

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.