April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Roundsworth, LGF, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 844 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting study of shot string length of various loads, copper coated bismuth, lead, steel, tss and choke effect of length. Video shot with a $300,000 camera. Camera set up at muzzle and other distances up to 40 yards from muzzle. Actual video and analysis minus full gab of videographer appears later in video Gil

3 members like this: Stanton Hillis, builder, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, you tell your wife you need a $300K camera, or does she mind driving the car whilst you…?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great info, GLS! Fascinating.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is absolutely mesmerizing. I have been "student" of shotgun ballistics ever since I first patterned one on an old upright car hood some 40-50 years ago. This stuff is really eye opening, and I can't wait too see the next segment in the series.

Thanks, Gil.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! Been reading about this since I was a kid. Can’t wait to see some gauge and choke comparisons with good old lead. Now we can see those 16ga and 28ga patterns that supposedly are shorter and so deadly? Believe it when I see it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1200 feet per second at 40 yards is 1/10 of a second. A shot string of 10 feet at that velocity would mean the pellets in the back of the string get there 1/40 of a second after the ones in the front. Right? If thinking about how many pellets are going to hit a duck flying 40 mph (how far it will travel in 1/40 of a second)the pattern diameter at 40 yards or the number of pellets in the pattern seems more important. Then, for me, a duck going 40mph at 40 yards is the biggest issue. Check my math. I'm lousy at math.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting pictures, due to color and resolution. However, I watched films like this as a kid in the 60's. The medium was black and white film and lower resolution but the speed was adequate at that time to see the shot string well. The issue that didn't exist then was the various pellet materials. The fundamental question is the effect of the stringing in the real world. I have always embraced the concept of light charges for bore on a theoretical basis because it minimizes bore scrub. Not because of dispersion per se but it keeps shot loss from the pattern at a minimum. It is interesting to calculate the numerical impact of stringing.

As a basis, assume that you are shooting a dove or duck at 40 yds. Pick a shot velocity of 800 fps. Assume the bird is travelling at 40 mph. Most static pattern studies show that the really even effective zone in most 30" patterns is around 20" in diameter. Call it 2 feet as an approximation.

At these conditions, a 10 foot long shot string crosses the flight path in 1/80 second. A bird at 40 mph would move less than 9" in this time. It would take roughly 2-3/4 seconds to cross the entire pattern. These numbers would indicate that the stringing should have essentially no effect on delivering a lethal charge to the bird. It depends almost exclusively on accurate shooting, adequate shot charge and pellet energy and penetration. This is in a pass shooting situation. At closer distances, with shorter strings and higher shot velocities, it is entirely a non-issue. Performance still depends on the same issues. You wouldn't knowingly hunt with a gun that has a load/choke combination that wouldn't reliably kill the bird. That brings it down to a matter of of reliably shooting within 18" or so of where the bird will be when the shot arrives. George Digweed, who I always considered maybe the best shotgunner who ever lived, was assked what chokes he used in his Beretta for winning a world championship. He said he used full and full for everything on the course (shots from 10 to 50+ yards) so he could see where he was shooting. He followed up with the fact that the chokes were stuck in his gun since they hadn't been out in the years of the competition he had used it.

In other words, use a load with enough pellet energy and a choke with enough pattern density to provide reasonable hits. Then learn to shoot.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, liverwort
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You posted while I was writing. Sorry, but I think what I posted is close. ( I am an engineer with a minor in math.)

--EDIT--

Should have read closer. I think what you were asking was the lead required. Based on your numbers that would be 6-7 feet. Actually a little more due to the shot slowing down as it flies.

Last edited by AGS; 10/02/22 12:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

AGS, Thanks. I used 1200 fps to make the math easy for myself(most loads tested were faster). I was basically saying that (i believe the approximate string length @ 40yds) was 10 feet, and that helped my math too, but the string made little difference to the target. Even it was moving 40mph. Lead is another factor of course but thinking of lead as a number of feet in front of the target is not very practical in real shooting IMHO. Your math said what I want to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's not the part of it that fascinates me. I understand that much of the hype about shot string length is moot because of the math you gentlemen have reviewed. What interests me most about it, and what I feel may be most valuable, is the data derived from the tests of different current loads against each other. I will not listen to an argument saying that short shot strings are worse than longer ones. If the tests show definitively that one load has a shot string that is half the length of it's peers I consider that very important to me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.