March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What do you all like most for stock repairs?

I'm looking at one hairline crack and another large, split off 'chip' along the the grain. Currently planning to use acraglas, pending the input here.

Thanks.

Jim
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I use several different glues depending on what I am trying to accomplish, the degree of difficulty in hiding the repair and the finish I will use. I really like G-flex for strength in a repair. If you are not using stain, tite-bond does a great job and is easy to hide. I use traditional and the gel form of acraglass, traditional is shiny when finished and can be an issue hiding it. The gel works well and is easy to hide. To get in a crack, I like to heat G-flex with a heat gun. You can do the same with acraglass but the work time is much shorter and heating it decrease your time even more. Show some pics when you finish up.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do use two Adhesives both are Epoxy resin both from the same manufacturer, my first go to is one that has been around here in Britland for over sixty years and never had a failure this is Araldite standard slow set. It takes all the rush and angst out of a repair that requires Peces of wood fitting in as well as the main repair. Now in the last twenty years Araldite introduced a faster setting crystal clear version which I have found works well on small splits and cracks plus larger stock splinters.

Old School? Yes!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the 'before' photos:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Jim
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

G-flex and hide the repair with pro-custom and some tint would be my call on a break like that.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those SKB's crack badly if the stock bolt loosens. When the cracks and chips are back in place I would recommend cutting a groove across the grain on the inside just behind those radii of the stock Then epoxy a piece of all thread to help reinforce it in the future.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve, do you mean the chempak pro-custom gunstock oil finish for hiding the repair?

(https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-finishes/pro-custom-oil-gunstock-finish-prod5531.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=CHEM-PAK)

Last edited by Woodreaux; 10/05/22 03:04 PM.

Jim
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes indeed, not usually my favorite finish but if you build it up so it is a top of the wood finish you can add color and hide your repairs very well with it. I have not found a better finish for hiding bad breaks, stock extensions etc. I have removed a leather cheek piece for a client, inlet a new piece of wood and hid the whole repair. Same for this Churchill, the client snapped it in half and I glued black in place, strengthened the repair with a carbon fiber rod then used pro-custom and tint to cover the repair.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ck-xxv.cfm?gun_id=102052054&cdn_bp=1

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can anyone compare Titebond II to Titebond III for gunstock repairs? I have both on hand and need to repair a small crack behind the top tang on a gun.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the titebond 3 dries darker and is more waterproof than titebond 2. I would imagine those qualities make t3 more suited for most stock repair work.

Found this on the web: colors of each dry

Jim
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.