March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely wad technology plays a roll.
Shot consistency as well.

You don’t see the so called “billiard ball effect” to any real degree in the images.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found it interesting, as mentioned in the video, that the pellets, especially the steel, did not bang into each other and cause pattern destruction as I have heard happens. The load of tungsten and steel separating with the tungsten falling behind was interesting as well. I assume the tungsten was loaded behind the steel in the cartridge. It would be interesting to see other types of loads, like various "spreader" wad loads, some turkey loads, and how different types of choke affect the shot column.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AGS summarized it very well. And, the conditions he mentions (I think) are for 90 degree crossers (as he calls pass shooting). This is only a small fraction of total shots fired at game birds. Some are straightaway, some are dead incomers, many are quartering. All these would be affected even less than a true crosser by long shot strings.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the follow-up video!

Some interesting food for thought.

1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, now we need Brister's wife pulling that board with the duck on it and the $300,000. camera filming the pellets making the pattern on the paper duck. Just for fun though because the shot string is unimportant.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The owner of Patternmaster must've run over his dog...Gil

1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder too, why Patternmaster was on the hit list. I also thought about the one specialty choke I've bought that does not perform either.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wonder why the swing velocity of the shotgun (shotgun "lead") wasn't entered in the calculation. There are three, not simply the two movements (speed of shot towards duck and duck's speed), in play in a crossing shot. The gun barrel is in motion to lead the duck and the crossing momentum of the shot column would be losing velocity (as does the shot's muzzle velocity). Perhaps the calculation of the shot column's sideway's velocity is minor by the time it arrives at the 40 yard duck. (Once an object is in motion it will continue to stay in motion until slowed and stopped by gravity and friction.) Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I first had a shotgun barrel threaded for choke tubes I only owned one shotgun, but I had three barrels for it, a 26" IC, a 28" M and a 30" F. it was a Remington 1100 my Dad gave me for my 16th birthday. I had shot many patterns with those barrels and was accustomed to what I thought a typical shot pattern looked like, with it's very "hot core". I had the 30" F barrel threaded and bought a set of CompNChoke tubes. I commenced to shoot more patterns to see if there was any difference, on paper, saving and labeling the patterns. I was astounded to actually see a difference I could quantify. Simply put, there was less of the total percentage of pellets in the hot core and more in the outer 10" "ring" of the pattern. I immediately realized that this was a good thing for clay target shooters, especially, as it decreased the chances of a clay slipping through the pattern in the periphery.

I took the rolled up patterns to the office of the owner of CompNChoke and showed them to him. He was surprised I had gone to the trouble of patterning them that thoroughly, but smiled when I showed him evidence of what I had seen. He may have been correct, or he may have been wrong in what he said next, I don't know. But, he said that was the result of precision machining in the choke internals, and said that was something that was sorely lacking in the Remington's fixed choke barrels. Obviously there are other choke tube companies, and fixed choke barrels, that are choked with precision and care, and will deliver the most uniformly distributed patterns possible, but I'll go to my grave knowing the difference I saw between those chokes and MY old fixed choke barrels.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.