March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to be in the old double game, either buy the proper tools and become proficient in using them, or find someone who is. Do not assume, or take the sellers word for anything. What is a few hundred dollar one time investment, when you are talking about buying guns which cost much greater than that? The guns on my gun room wall racks may only cost $500 to $15,000 but when you multiply them out for the grand total it becomes a lot of money. Bad barrels can drop a gun value by 90% or even make it worthless in many cases. The tools used to verify their conditions and safety will last decades so when you think about them they have measured more than a few hundred guns already. My cost per gun is very little for the tools I have bought. My barrel wall thickness and bore measuring tools cost me about $600.00, maybe nearer to a $1,000.00 when I think about duplicates and upgrades, so I understand not everyone needs to invest that much money, but you do need to find a gunsmith who has them and will carefully measure your guns and inform you if there is anything you need to be aware of or to fix before safely shooting your guns.

My guns are all shot, by me or my sons and friends and no gun gets used until I know as much about the safety to use it as I can learn. Chamber length, bore diameter, barrel wall thickness are all measured and verified before I ever drop a shell into any gun I own. Do not care if it is five year old, or 200 years old, they all get checked out just like they all get a proper cleaning when they come in the door. Anything that needs fixing gets fixed. My oldest muzzle loader is almost exactly 200 years old and it took three wood ducks two years ago. My 42's get regular use on dove and sporting clays. If I own it, it will be shot. Guns were made to be shot and enjoyed, not to be a status symbol or an investment. Mine might not get shot often because the field is crowded, but they all deserve their day in the sun.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edd you are a troll huckster

2 members like this: John Roberts, battle
Sidelock
Sidelock

UK auctions and maybe one day gun shops have long been a temptation for me and have resulted in five guns and a good many other toys making it to me.

I will be posting in the future about some great restocking work by Stephen Dalzell of a Boss SLE project gun I got from Holts.

Making that purchase is a gamble like any auction. You can mitigate the risks with knowledge, more so by having a contact there in the UK check out the item. You must be educated in evaluating and open to asking second opinions from others smarter than yourself.

While the exchange rate makes it look better, it really only shifts the break point a small bit.

The cost of importing can be $750-1000 a gun now. That alone makes most lower end guns become less of a deal.

Further the length of time on the import can stretch out some depending on timing. Government on both sides of the Atlantic are not user friendly to our hobby. The recent complications of commercial service providers adding to those challenges is disconcerting to enraging.

I see the auction buys I have made not bargain hunting, but finding something I wanted I could not find here. I doubt I will really make any money on my buys. I focus on mid range and above quality, and on something I really want, like an Irish made or Dublin sold gun, or a Celtic engraved Scottish 16ga pair.

Last edited by old colonel; 10/12/22 10:28 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: battle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
If I own it, it will be shot. Guns were made to be shot and enjoyed, not to be a status symbol or an investment.

Rave on. Amen.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
well, there are a few custom gun builders that come to mind...they build up new sets of barrels from componets and proof those barrels before fitting...winchester proof loads have been a favorite for proofing barrels for some time now...

also, the point is, one does not necessarily need to proof guns to american specs...however, if your seller is confident enough to give permission to proof a gun, that is a good sign that you are dealing with a knowledgeable and honest person...

and if in fact a barrel has a minimum wall thickness of .020, that is reason enough to not buy the gun...in my opinion...

mc, you seem to take some interest in this topic...how come? as you are an unknown here, just wondering what is your role, besides looking to cause discord...

Proof is not a thing here, ed. There is no “American” proof. Wall thickness has no bearing on proof, in countries that have proof law, ed. A gun with .020 wall is submitted for proof, and it passes, or doesn’t. Proof is not just jacking Winchester violent proof loads into a gun, and calling the gun proofed if it doesn’t fly apart when fired with that load. There is “view” where the gun is examined and measured prior to “firing” firing with proof loads, and “view” after proof. A gun can be failed at any or all of the three steps, ed.

It is against the law to sell a gun in England that is out of proof, ed.

mc isn’t unknown, ed.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: battle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by KY Jon
If I own it, it will be shot. Guns were made to be shot and enjoyed, not to be a status symbol or an investment.

Rave on. Amen.

Could not agree more. The only problem with having so many nice guns is making the opportunities to use them. It is this problem that will likely drive me to selling down some one day.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

proof is a thing here...shotgun makers proof their barrels all the time,ted...

the three step process you describe makes sense...one would hope all doublegun barrel testers follow those steps, ted...

and its against the law to sell alotta things in england, ted...

as for mc, it is unknown to me, ted...

by the way. is your name really ted, ted...

ah ax because there are so many phonies here now, ted...

and there is much anger and rudeness here now, ted...

Last edited by ed good; 10/14/22 10:10 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Name an American shotgun maker, ed. Describe, in detail, their method of proof, requirements, percentage of barrels proofed, failure rate, and anything else you care to mention.

I think you are going to be stuck at naming an American shotgun maker. There aren’t many, ed.

Oh, same name for a long, long, time now ed. Had it in common with my Dad.

As far as phonies, I’ve never posted on the internet that a glued stock or sleeved barrels were as good as new.

Those guys are phonies, ed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to clarify on the subject of proof:

While there is no "proof law" in the USA, there are voluntary standards established by SAAMI. For example, while the maximum average service pressure for 2 3/4" 12ga loads is 11,500 psi, maximum average pressure for 2 3/4" 12ga proof loads is 19,000 psi.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edd take all your guns and run 19000psi proof loads through them be for you sell them that's what your getting at correct.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.