Originally Posted by Der Ami
Stan,
I really take it for heart issues, because it smells better than Fish oil, but I would take any extra benefit. I used to take Biotin to strengthen my fingernails but after a good try I couldn't see much help. I used to say getting old is a beech, but now I say being old is.
Mike

I will throw out one warning. I started having problems a couple of years ago with atrial fib. Not really much of an issue to me, but the cardioligist prescribed a medicine for it (I had two near fatal heart attcks 24 and 23 years ago; arrested for 8 minutes on the first one.)
Anyway, the drug I took for a year almost killed me, due to iodine buildup. Developed tremors, weight loss, heart enlargement, liver swelling and malfunction, balance problems etc. After a year off, I started developing worsened Afib, even though generally my health improved. I have had to be converted 3 times this year. The last time in a few weeks ago, my blood work showed my thyroid had gone off scale. Got a checkout by an endocronologist and am on medicine for it. No nodules or genetic diseases, just an irritated gland. Turns out the bad med often has a delayed serious impact on the thyroid a year to two years down the road and the elevated thyroid enzymes really increase the incidence of Afib and other cardiac arhythmias.

All this is neither here nor there, but the endo and the ER doc both quizzed me specifically as to whether I took Biotin or not, either by itself or included in a multivitiman. Biotin is B7 and in a few instances is included with other B vitamins. The problem is that Biotin severely impacts the analysis of thyroid enzymes (T3, T4 and the TSH from your brain). If you have any health issue with your thyroid and/or heart rhythm problems which might be impacted by your thyroid, your test results will be completely wrong and affect your treatment if the Dr doesn't know about the supplement use. The same is true if they simply test your thyroid. You can recieve treatments you don't need.