March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#621858 11/11/22 09:09 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is probably not really appropriate for this board. Today was Armistice Day in my youth. My Grandfather lost an eye in a Tank in the Somme. WWI was the War to end Wars. My father was killed in Normandy 25 years later inWWII. It became Veterans Day under Eisenhower.

For French wife WWI never really dies and poppies still appear in the house on this day. Her Grandfather was gassed at Verdun. Her father was sent to Dachau - stepfather carried Roosevelt off the cruiser in his wheelchair at Casablanca. Her mother and grandmother starved in Lyon under Klaus Barbie.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Doesn't really matter what's it called now. It is a day for the living; Memorial Day is to remember the departed. And I do think this is an appropriate adjunct to posting about double guns. The posts I just made about Saint Etienne shotguns brought this back to me and you can't understand Saint Etienne and it's shotgun manufactures without taking into account 1914-1918 and 1940-45.

To all of you vets...thanks...and take care brothers. We are all Americans no matter the politics.
Gene Williams

Edit: I put this in a separate thread because David mistakenly locked the Veterans' Day line. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/11/22 10:01 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
8 members like this: Tim Cartmell, greener4me, Imperdix, John Roberts, GLS, Parabola
Argo44 #621867 11/12/22 10:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of us no doubt get the significance of the poppy, but if not:

Lt. Colonel John McCrae M.D. "In Flanders Fields", written after the 2nd Battle of Ypres during which the Germans used chlorine gas on the Canadian line April 22, 1915:

In Flanders fields
the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place;
and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing,
fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

5 members like this: Tim Cartmell, greener4me, limapapa, Run With The Fox, Parabola
Argo44 #621868 11/12/22 10:33 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Not entirely off topic, Gene.

When the fund raising scheme was set up a major part of the plan was creating employment for blind or disabled war veterans in the factories making the poppies.

I suspect much of the work would then have been done by hand.

Looking at that beautiful old example you show, and contrasting it with the modern plastic version, brings to mind the recent posts about the presence of “soul” in hand crafted items.

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Argo44 #621869 11/12/22 10:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Though McCrae's poem may be better known, this is the better poem:

Break of Day in the Trenches

The darkness crumbles away.
It is the same old druid Time as ever,
Only a live thing leaps my hand,
A queer sardonic rat,
As I pull the parapet’s poppy
To stick behind my ear.
Droll rat, they would shoot you if they knew
Your cosmopolitan sympathies.
Now you have touched this English hand
You will do the same to a German
Soon, no doubt, if it be your pleasure
To cross the sleeping green between.
It seems you inwardly grin as you pass
Strong eyes, fine limbs, haughty athletes,
Less chanced than you for life,
Bonds to the whims of murder,
Sprawled in the bowels of the earth,
The torn fields of France.
What do you see in our eyes
At the shrieking iron and flame
Hurled through still heavens?
What quaver—what heart aghast?
Poppies whose roots are in man’s veins
Drop, and are ever dropping;
But mine in my ear is safe—
Just a little white with the dust.

McCrae calls his reader to action, to continue the fight. Isaac Rosenberg, the author of the poem above, points in a different direction. Neither survived the war.

May all who served, who serve, rest in peace.

JP

Argo44 #621893 11/12/22 08:40 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Europe basically committed suicide with the two horrendous wars of the 20th century. The 3rd (called the Cold War aka the 45 year war, aka the War Between the East and the West; aka The Great Ideological War) never quite went to its logical end which would have destroyed everything. Maybe that's why.

Who would have thought, we who were born during WWII and grew up with its tales and history and carrying its losses, that we would see war on the European continent on such a similar scale. God help those solders in Ukraine and yes in Russia. They did not deserve this - a war foisted on them by the ego and intransigence of one old man.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/12/22 09:10 PM.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Argo44 #621894 11/12/22 09:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are referring to Putin, and indications are that you are, he is 70 years of age. You may not consider that "old" when you reach that age.

Personally, I think his age has nothing to do with his decision to invade the Ukraine, but that's just me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Argo44 #621895 11/12/22 09:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

His decision to invade Ukraine was no doubt based on watching the incompetence of Joe Biden’s handling of Afghanistan, and realizing that a puppet installed in the White House made it the right time.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: NCTarheel, greener4me, keith
Argo44 #621896 11/12/22 09:49 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stanton. Actually the "44" and fact father was killed in Normandy should be a clue that I am 78 going on 79.

In the 1970's the CIA ran a psychological study on aging rulers. They found that as death approached, these men became more aggressive trying to obtain their life-long goals before they passed from the scene. A lot of people attributed Afghanistan December 1979 Soviet invasion (Not the 29 April 1978 overthrow of Da'ud Khan) to Brezhnev, his dream of the age-old Russian push for a warm-water port, and to American perceived weakness after Vietnam, Carter and the Iran hostage imbroglio.

Both you and Ted may be right about Putin's Ukraine debacle. It may well be that he decided now or never after the Kabul fiasco. Interesting to re-read my Sophomore college Political Science 1963 textbook "Politics Among Nations" by Hans J. Mortanthau, who discussed exactly this. Nations are kids in a sandbox. If you look like a victim, you will be mugged. And that's when world threatening mistakes are made.

And to make this relevant, I still have that old home-made Baluch SxS from Quetta. I really like that locking system!! Simple and effective. Makes you wonder about the need for double and triple bites.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=569041
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 11/12/22 10:06 PM.

Argo44 #621897 11/12/22 09:59 PM
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the beautiful remembrance, Gene, and the exceptional history of your own family. However, I would take issue with blaming the Europeans for the apocalyptic wars. It was the Germans both times, the Germans who murdered your father in law, the Germans who exterminated my father's entire extended Dutch family, scores of people, my four great grandparents well into their nineties, shipped off in cattle cars to be murdered in the camps in 1942.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
His decision to invade Ukraine was no doubt based on watching the incompetence of Joe Biden’s handling of Afghanistan, and realizing that a puppet installed in the White House made it the right time.

Best,
Ted

You gotta admit ol' Joe has 'em on the run in Ukraine, eh? Oh well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.